imagewriter fails to write opensuse 12.3 iso

Hello,

I have two systems. A laptop with win8 and desktop with opensuse 12.2, both are due for a wipe and need to be reinstalled. I tried downloading opensuse 12.3 iso but when using image writer it says that the write failed and asks me if I’m logged in as an administrator which I am because you have to be an admin to open the program.

I tried doing on the linux desktop and it had a read error when reading it from external hard drive. Now I’m trying to download it to my SSD on my laptop and try using it.

Any feedback or thoughts here would help.

Key points image writer doesn’t work
opensuse iso don’t work.

i use imagewriter a lot of times to write the isos onto my usb drives. I used imagewriter only on openSUSE installations. I don’t know how well it is supported on other OSes

Did you compare the downloaded iso-File with f. e. md5sum?

Here is imagewriter from studio-repo for 12.2:
http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/SUSE:SUSEStudio/openSUSE_12.2/imagewriter.ymp?base=openSUSE%3A12.2&query=imagewriter

I never had this problem, but I never used it on Windows 8 yet either.

Try this one:
Tools for OSForensics - ImageUSB - Write an image to multiple USB Flash Drives
I have successfully written openSUSE iso images with that, and another user who had the same problem as you also reported success with this tool…

That’s why I’m planning to wipe both systems. Try to get the desktop to opensuse 12.3 and put the laptop back to win7.

I was able to get imagewriter to work but only works with 12.2 this is after sever failed attempts at having it write.
So I guess the best option is to upgrade to 12.3.

Do I need to make a seperate boot partition if upgrading? just curious after I read a few wikis because I had to setup custom partitions.

So you can write the 12.2 image, but can’t write the 12.3 one? Or is the 12.3 one just not able to boot after you have written it to the USB-stick? (could be a UEFI/secure boot problem then since you mentioned you have Windows 8)

Well, you can install 12.2 first, and then upgrade to 12.3 by changing the repo URLs accordingly and call “zypper dup”. (of course you need a working internet connection for that)
See here: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

Do I need to make a seperate boot partition if upgrading? just curious after I read a few wikis because I had to setup custom partitions.

No, that’s not necessary. You can just keep the default partitioning suggested by the installer.
Personally I have one big partition spanning the whole harddisk, and I always upgraded since S.u.S.E. 8.1 in 2003. Never did a fresh install since then!:wink:
But there are advantages having a separate /home partition (as the installer proposes by default) of course…