I'm stumped dvi cable

Now everything runs fine with my dvi cable connected. But I don’t see any boot screen, text mode nothing when the computer boots. After boot up it shows dvi and things boot up normally. Is there some configuration I’m missing on suse 11.1 that it’s not seeing the dvi cable soon as the computer fires up?

It should work, check your cable might not properly inserted. Is there any indication in the screen e.g shows any image of the boot menu if there is one that could possibly a suse problem.

Cable is securely connected as I fastened the screws on it. As I said there’s no boot screen, all else loads up just as the login screen shows up.

Hi
I’m guessing your default output is to the VGA and not the DVI. Check
the BIOS if it’s an onboard card.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
up 18:37, 1 user, load average: 0.36, 0.23, 0.14
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29

I had already switched the bio to not look at the onboard card. Hmmm I’m sure I’ll figure out at somepoint.

Another guess is the splash is set to no.
Try going to yast2-system-/etc/sysconfig editor-boot-splash

In the grub directory on the menu.1st file I wonder if I changed these settings to verbose for the splash…

splash=silent showopts vga=0x31a

and 791 for the vga option if that would work? :\

You have to find out if it is supported and the option you wanted is present.

This is the weird thing, when I have the bios set to boot to onboard, it eventually overlooks and switches to the nvidia card with the dvi cable. But when I switch it to PCI as the primary video card. Just as the system, starts to boot with the progress bar, it freezes up and doesn’t load up. It’s baffling to say the least.