I'm stuck

I know the answer to this is out there somewhere but I have honestly spent the last few weeks trying everything and have done about 30 clean installs. I can’t get my atheros card to work, and I am not a Linux jedi so I am unable to do anything without a specific detailed howto. My card is listed in Yast, but it shows this messege.

AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (Not connected)
BusID : 0000:03:00.0

Unable to configure the network card because the kernel device (eth0, wlan0) is not present. This is mostly caused by missing firmware (for wlan devices). See dmesg output for details.

I think I blacklisted ath5k and I’m pretty sure I added madwifi to the yast repositories, but this is as far as I can get.

Please help.

check that madwifi drivers were installed via YaST

Andy

Sorry, but your going to have to excuse me for being so dim. When I search for madwifi in software management it shows a bunch of madwifi stuff, and two of them are checked one that says madwifi and another that says madwifi-kmp-default.

Madwifi is also listed under software repositories.

I have been trying to follow other posts on how to fix this but, I am not very good with linux. I have to have word for word commands or I am lost.

Thanks for your help.

when you open YaST and select software mgt, it has a button that says “Installed”; click that; so that should only be listing software already installed on your system; then in the filter section, type in madwifi, and see what comes up; if anything to do with madwifi is listed, that should mean you have already installed them;

if not listed there, then click on the available button, and again in filter tap in madwifi; now select what is shown; and install; I still seem to be doing it sequentially; (ie if >1 package I install that and then the next etc)

let the forum know how all that goes; good luck

I’ve blown several hours on this over the course of last night and today.

I tried more methods than I can tell you.

The one that finally worked is essentially the same as I was doing under Ubuntu, and is posted here: [Solution]Atheros AR242x - Suse11 - pae kernel - openSUSE Forums](http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/wireless/396325-solution-atheros-ar242x-suse11-pae-kernel.html)

The title specifies PAE kernel, but I am not running PAE, and it still worked just fine. I’ve added some additional info in that thread regarding extra steps that were required.

I can’t begin to tell you how to undo everything else you may have done, other than to be sure that you uninstall any madwifi that you have installed via “Software Management”. I’m just not knowledgeable enough. Beyond that you are on your own with “removal” of whatever you’ve tried so far – if you aren’t sure how to undo what all you’ve done, and if you can stomach another reinstall, I’d suggest it.

The linked procedure will require more time to install the build related packages than to actually do the driver install – it’s not tough. Note that you’ll have to do the make, make install, modprobe, reboot steps every time there is a kernel update.

You will need to “su” for some of the steps, which I assume you are familiar with.

Good luck!

Oh yeah – I found knetworkmanager to be easier for configuring the device than the YAST network config tool. YMMV…

O.K. Lets try again. I tried everything in all of the stickies,all of the advice listed above, and countless other sources. I gave up for a month and tried Mandriva 2009 which didn’t work either, nor does Ubuntu, or Redhat. The only one that works out of the box is mandriva 2008.

I have a HP Pavillion DV6768se with an atheros card in it. I have just done another fresh install and applied all updates.

How do I do this right from the start so I don’t screw up a bunch of stuff in the process.

Please remember, I am a computer guy, not a linux guy. I don’t know command prompts.

Do I disable wireless and blacklist first?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP…

we are sorry to hear you are still struggling to get your radio working: swerdna recently did a post and he said

For information of other posters: you get more help if you post a wireless question in the wireless forum.

Can you run a few diagnostics? Return the dialogue you get from these commands:

* lspci -nn | egrep "Ethernet|Atheros|Network"
* rpm -qa | egrep "madwifi|ndiswrapper"
* uname -r
* lsmod | egrep ath
* ifconfig
* iwconfig

And finally, look at the specs for your notebook, often on a PDF document on the cds, frequently called “handbook” or like that, and tell us what it says about the wireless “specifications”.

the stars were just indicators, and not needed in the commands

if you are happy to open a console, and type in the commands above, post them back: most folks would suggest you just copy and paste them one by one into your console; you might find it easiest to use the menu at the top of the console, and select the paste command, as it is often something like shift+control+V rather than the control+V that is commonest in everything else

if you are not sure about a console, post back and folks can help you with that;

I think I read that the new version of Suse, 11.1 will have support for your atheros card; I may need correcting on that; if it does support your card, it is due out in 2-3 weeks I understand

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately I continued trying to get my card working after that post last night because impatience got the best of me. Somehow I lost my Ethernet connection and then when I rebooted it hangs at the load screen…

I tried to re-install, and now the live disk doesn’t show any icons or graphics. I have to go to work now so when I get home I’ll get this straightened out and then I will run those commands.

The point of all this is, I want everyone to understand that I am not one of those floundering noobs that is just jumping on the forum and crying for help without making any effort. I’ve been at this for months.