I'm not sure OpenSUSE is using my graphics card properly

I have this PC: http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/fx-8350-4-2ghz-1tb-8gb-1600mhz-amd-r7-250-2gb-galaxy-r-computer-gaming-pc.html
I get about 15-20 fps on Minecraft which is quite low and OpenSUSE gets lag spikes when I’m launching other games and doing lots of stuff at the same time.
Is my computer just bad or is OpenSUSE not using all my hardware properly?

Please post in Code-Tags:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iEA3 'vga|3d'
/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iEA3 'vga|3d'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750] [1002:683f]
    Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Device [1787:7250]
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon

I think it says I have a radeon HD 7750 when I don’t

Try the AMD / ATI Driver:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

As you can see here e.g. the R7 250E does have the same PCI-Id as an HD 7750:
http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002/683f

That shouldn’t matter though. Some R7 250 cards even are based on the same chip as the HD 7750:

In February 10, 2014 AMD announced the R7 250X which is based on the Cape Verde GPU

( Radeon 200 series - Wikipedia )

Anyway, I would also suggest to try the proprietary AMD/ATI fglrx driver.

I installed the driver and there’s no improvement in frame rate. Could it be my CPU or something else that’s not working properly? Or is this Computer just not meant for gaming?

Have you rebooted?

Please install the package “Mesa-demo-x” and post the output of this:

glxinfo | grep render

to see that the driver is working.

Could it be my CPU or something else that’s not working properly? Or is this Computer just not meant for gaming?

Well, the computer is labelled as “gaming PC”…
That doesn’t mean that it’s perfectly suited for every game though.

Just to be sure:
You are speaking of this minecraft?

And you are running the native Linux version? Or maybe the Windows version with wine or similar?

glxinfo | grep renderdirect rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE
    GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
jonathan@linux-gt4x:~> 

I’m definitely running the Linux version of minecraft.

So, have you rebooted after installing the fglrx driver?
The output above shows that you are still using the open source radeon driver, not fglrx.
So it’s obvious that there cannot be any change… :wink:

If a reboot doesn’t help, please post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log (upload it to a sharing/pasting site like http://susepaste.org and post a link).

direct rendering: YesOpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE
    GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 

I’ve rebooted twice. Where do I find /var/log/Xorg.0.log (sorry I’m new to OpenSUSE)

So, have you even installed fglrx? Normally it should block radeon even if it is not working.

Where do I find /var/log/Xorg.0.log (sorry I’m new to OpenSUSE)

On your hard disk.
Select the “root folder” in you file manager e.g., then traverse down to var->log, there you should have a text file named “Xorg.0.log”.

On 2014-09-28 18:06, jwh8999 wrote:

> I think it says I have a radeon HD 7750 when I don’t

Try “hwinfo --gfxcard”, post it here.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

I tried installing the fglrx thing again and my PC won’t load properly. It loads into a Oh no! something has gone wrong! message and because I set my grub timeout to 0 so I can’t launch it in another mode like safe mode.

Just go to a tty with ctrl+alt+f5. Off topic but I hate Gnome’s error screen. To me it says “Oops sorry, we won’t tell you any debugging information why your system won’t work.”

And how exactly did you try to install it both times?
Because apparently the first time it had no effect whatsoever, and now GNOME is broken.

It loads into a Oh no! something has gone wrong! message and because I set my grub timeout to 0 so I can’t launch it in another mode like safe mode.

Well, GNOME probably wouldn’t work in safe mode anyway, at least that’s the case if the proprietary nvidia driver is installed.

Can you switch to text mode with Ctrl+Alt+F1 when GNOME shows that message?
Then login as root, save away /var/log/Xorg.0.log (to see what went wrong) and remove the fglrx driver again with yast (it works in text mode as well, just type “yast” to start it)/zypper or rpm.

cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/Xorg.0.log.saved
rpm -e fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131

Or change the last line to this if you installed the 32bit version:

rpm -e fglrx_xpic_SUSE131

Then at least GNOME should start again after a reboot.

That presumes that you installed the rpm packages (via the 1-click installer e.g.) of course.

Then, if GNOME is working again, please post that file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.saved .

I got into tty5 and when I type in

cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/Xorg.0.log.saved

I get this: bash: /var/log/xorg.0.log : No such file or directory.

File names are case-sensitive!
It is Xorg.0.log, you apparently typed xorg.0.log (i.e. ‘X’ vs ‘x’) .

Thanks!

It worked but now its saying fglrx isn’t installed and yes I capitalized SUSE.
I’ve probably been installing a different version or something.

Have you tried to use yast and search for “fglrx”?

Well, how did you install the fglrx driver?
This of course only works if you installed it via the RPM packages as I wrote.
If you downloaded the installer from the AMD homepage, you would have to remove it differently.

SDB:AMD fglrx - openSUSE Wiki If you scroll down and find a big green button saying 1-click install 64bits, Thats the one I chose.