I'm looking to buy a mini pci-e wireless card

As the title says, thats what I am looking for. I currently have an intel 5100 that refuses to work. It just stopped working about a month or 2 ago. I know I can do intel, but since I am not sure if its hardware or a software issue, since there was a bug reported with the iwlagn driver, I’d like to go with something other than intel. Broadcom, Atheros, chipsets seems to be good, but I need to know which cards fit the particular chipsets, so I am calling upon the great wisdom of the community here. linuxwireless.org only gets me so far. So here is your chance. Wireless N please.

I purchase the ASUS PCE-N13 which is 802.11 b/g/n rated. It works with openSUSE 11.3 & 11.4 64 bit (This is all I have checked) and I always use KDE and Network Manager. Here is just one Link for the adapter.

Newegg.com - ASUS PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64-bit/128-bit WEP, TKIP, and AES WI-Fi alliance WPA, WPA2

It is costs around $30 US and I actually purchased mine through Amazon though I did not try to find all of the links for it. It works fast for me, but its only a few feet away from the router and I have not tried to use it far away.

Thank You,

I appreciate that, unfortunately it’s not a mini-pci-e card, in which case it wont fit in my laptop.

OK, I guess I don’t know what a mini is then. It does come with a second low profile bracket and is intended for a desktop which could also be a low profile type like some HTPC’s. What are you plugging this in to, a Laptop?

Thank You,

This is my current card. Intel WiFi Link 5100 Mini PCIe Wireless Network Card on eBay!

So you did not say if this is a Laptop or not. Here is a Goggle Shopping Link:

Mini PCIe Wireless for Linux - Google Search

Thank You,

Yeah. I tried the Google shipping link, but I started this so I could find out what you all think of your Linux mini pci-e card, so that it would help me determine which one, other than intel to buy.

I have an Atheros 928x in my desktop computer. I am not really sure if it is a mini PCI, but it seems like, as I remember that it is much smaller than other PCI cards in the computer.

lspci says:

04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

The wireless adapter works without any flaws. No additional drivers to install, no fiddling… it just works.

Your wireless card didn’t quite do it, but it did point me in a good direction. I found the AR9382 HB116 dual band and it uses the ath9 driver. http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/media/product/product_91_file1.pdf and ath9k - Linux Wireless

Any other suggestions?

So I ordered the above card, ar9382 HB116 for my laptop, it is scheduled to arrive on Monday. I was hoping for more input, but alas I did not get it. I do appreciate those that did provide the feedback in this thread.

I picked this card because it was not intel. With my intel card I was not able to determine if it’s a problem with the card or the driver, iwlagn. I know iwlagn does have a bug. I had tried it on several live distros as well, all to no avail. So since ar9382 HB116 is a different card, with a different driver ath9k which is built right in to the kernel, I should be able to just put the card in and go.

If You want Wireless N support I wouldn’t be so optimistic :slight_smile: This is my wireless chipset :

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: AzureWave Device [1a3b:1089]
        Kernel driver in use: ath9k

N does not work with the linux driver on openSUSE 11.4 default kernel (G works great though). N does work under Win7…

Hope on your chipset it will be working.

Best regards,
Greg

I have the router set to BG and I still can’t connect. I authenticate just fine. I get a valid IP, but can’t ping the modem, let alone ping out. The same issue as the intell 5100. Other devices connect to the router just fine. I did do a reset of the router to factory defaults, still din’t work. Tried no security, still didn’t work.

This is very strange. Can You post your routing table here ? You can use this command for example :

/sbin/route -n

Of course iwconfig and ifconfig outputs will be helpful as well.

Best regards,
Greg

route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 wlan0

iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:“Jon”
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:25:9C:C8:CF:76
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-29 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:230 Missed beacon:0

I set up the wireless in YaST using WPA-PSK 1/2 and of course my key.
In my router its WPA2-PSK TKIP+AES.

ping 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
— 192.168.1.1 ping statistics —
17 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 15999ms

Is it worth trying compat wireless as an alternative?
or
switch to kernel 3
I just did that on one of my installs to test broadcom and it was perfect.

The routing table looks invalid to me. You have a default gateway configured only for the eth0 interface so this will explain why You can’t go outside with the cable unplugged. The entry :

192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

is before the entry for wlan0 thus I believe your PC is trying to reach your router with eth0 and the second route is never used. Do You by any chance are connected with both cable and wireless ?

Have You tried switching to NetworkManager and configuring it there ?

To me it does not look like a driver problem but a configuration error on your system.

Best regards,
Greg

Actually I am running kernel 3
uname -r
3.0.0-7-desktop

The only way I can surf/post is with the ethernet cable plugged in. So if its a config problem, how do I fix it?

So are you using the networkmanager or the plasmoid one?
Does your access point show?
Is your new device MAC added to the list of devices in the router (If you have access control on)?
Can you log in to the router/access point?

What detail is listed under
/sbin/lspci -nnk

No the networkmanager doesn’t work. Doesn’t even see wireless. The wireless tab is grayed out. I reddid the config in YaST. I deleted the ethernet card in YaST and deleted the wireless. I then redid just the wireless in YaST not touching the ethernet card. I am now surfing wirelessly.
This makes me wonder if the same was true of the intel card.