I'm just about to make the jump to openSUSE of my primary system

I have been playing around with openSUSE for a little over a week on a couple test machines and on VirtualBox with the intent of switching distros. I have had no trouble installing the software and I really appreciate how verbose the installation is. I have not yet worked out all the issues on my test machines but once I do, it really does look like this has the most potential of all the distros I’ve tried. Yast seems to have every configurable feature available, which is wonderful, but I’m scratching my head on the lack of tool to configure the graphical server. It seems like it would be a nice thing to be able to specify whether or not I would want to use an open source or proprietary driver without having to go to the CLI. Also, I have not had the best of luck with the “one click install” feature in software.opensuse.org or build.opensuse.org. I’m guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that 12.1 was just released and everything hasn’t quite caught up yet.

Another huge positive, from my perspective, is the availability of documentation. I have downloaded several ebooks to my Kindle to read through. The Wiki also seems very complete. I am very interested in exploring further before I make any changes in distros but as it sits today, upgrading my current distro to the latest available will break my system, so I’m not in too big of a hurry to make changes. My primary system is like the central nervous system of my world and I cannot have it functioning poorly.

The biggest issues I have, that must work are:

• Proper working sleep state - Untested
  • Ability to install proprietary nVidia driver - Untested, not fully researched
  • Stable functioning Kontact - Tested and good, so far as I can tell
  • Gscan2pdf - Not been able to install
  • SAMBA sharing - Currently not working on test system

I have addressed the last in the proper forum.

Oh, and one other thing. In terminal, openSUSE looks much different than what I’m used to. I’m used to this:
[user@localhost ~]$
openSUSE looks like this:
user@localhost:~>

It’s not a big deal but I kinda like the way I’m used to seeing it. Is that being a bit too picky?

If anybody has any hints, tips or experience on anything above (minus SAMBA) with 12.1, please advise. I’m interested in knowing more and hearing from the community.

Thanks!
-Nathan

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 01:06:02 +0000, futureboy wrote:

> Oh, and one other thing. In terminal, openSUSE looks much different
> than what I’m used to. I’m used to this:
> [user@localhost ~]$
> openSUSE looks like this:
> user@localhost:~>
>
> It’s not a big deal but I kinda like the way I’m used to seeing it. Is
> that being a bit too picky?

It’s easy enough to change. The first prompt is typical of a csh/tcsh
shell; if that’s what you use, then just use the chsh command to change
the shell.

Otherwise, if you want that prompt in bash, you just need to change the
$PROMPT variable in your .bashrc. That’s also very easy to change.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I’ve been working on a virtual machine and my “new” server (HP Proliant DL360 G3) which seems to be functioning without any problems. I have really been liking Yast. It’s really well put together.

Just to update my “issues” here is where they stand.

The biggest issues I have, that must work are:

• Proper working sleep state - Untested
  • Ability to install proprietary nVidia driver - Untested, however, based on forum discussions, looks like it won’t be a problem
  • Stable functioning Kontact - Tested and good, so far as I can tell
  • Gscan2pdf - Not been able to install
  • SAMBA sharing - Working completely, issue Resolved.

I do have a new issue that I"m working on

• libdvdcss to watch movies - Installed the package, but I’m getting errors with Kaffeine, will be working on this.

I really do like a lot of what openSUSE has to offer.

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 02:56:03 +0000, futureboy wrote:

> I do have a new issue that I"m working on - libdvdcss to watch movies -
> Installed the package, but I’m getting errors with Kaffeine, will be
> working on this.

Make sure you’ve installed the video players from Packman.

I would also suggest that rather than list the current issues that you’re
working on in a single thread, post questions in an appropriate forum,
one thread per issue.

Jim

Jim Henderson

Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

I am posting to individual threads. This is not meant for technical support, more like a discussion, a status of progress and thoughts of working with this distribution.

I have the 32-bit proprietary nVidia driver (173.14.31) running on an ancient AGP FX5200 nvidia card on a 32-bit openSUSE-12.1 LXDE destkop, and I have the 64-bit proprietary nVdia driver (285.05.09) running on a newer PCI-e GTX 260 nvidia card on a 64-bit openSUSE-12.1 KDE desktop.

Both run fine.

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 05:46:02 +0000, futureboy wrote:

> I am posting to individual threads. This is not meant for technical
> support, more like a discussion, a status of progress and thoughts of
> working with this distribution.

OK - in that event, it might be something better put in a personal blog
rather than in a discussion forum - just a thought. :slight_smile: Otherwise, it
kinda “begs” for answers to the problems…

Jim

Jim Henderson

You could try vlc in place of kaffeine

It’s working very good with the “repository way”: SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

I appreciate all the pointers and the discussion. I think I have everything working now and I plan to install openSUSE on another system to be able to test everything.

I will not use this thread anymore to keep me from violating policies.