I'm going to buy a USB external harddrive any recomendations?

Thanks You Guys!!!
I can now go & shop for an external HDD My questions are all answered.
No matter which brand or size it’ll work both ways & if it doesn’t it can be made there’s a 3rd party way to it.
From what I’ve read here I won’t have to do fstab & bork my system, this was my main worry.
Once again thank you very much guys!

Actually I would say it does matter what you buy.
I deliberately purchased a basic drive. The WD Elements is basically just a HD in a nice case, many are, but some have fancy software you don’t need or want.

Carl,
IIRC Passport & My Book were mentioned in this thread I’ll be looking at these models. Once I’ve got one in my hands I’ll let everyone here know how it goes. Once I do GC would be the place to make a comment on that right?

In case you are curious, here is the external hard drive that I am thinking of purchasing: FANTEC fanbox FB-35U3 black 1.5TB, 3.5" SATA USB 3.0 Aluminium I do not plan to purchase this until late November or early December.

Our local PC shop stocks these drives, which is one reason why I am thinking of purchasing one. They are also slightly less expensive than the Maxtor/Seagate external drives that I have purchased in the past. Fantec also claim Linux compatibility, and I like to send business to companies that claim that compatibility.

I have an older 2.5" 500GB Fantec drive that I am happy with, and this will be my first 3.5" Fantec external drive. I prefer to purchase external drives with Firewire Interface, but that is getting more and more difficult, so I have resigned myself to having to purchase a drive with USB. Of course as noted purchasing a drive with eSATA (as noted by ken_yap) is also an option. What Ski_K2 noted about USB-3.0 actually working slightly faster with USB-2.0 fitted PCs is also something I have read elsewhere, although I concede I don’t know why that would be the case.

Sagemta wrote:

>
> Carl,
> IIRC Passport & My Book were mentioned in this thread I’ll be looking
> at these models. Once I’ve got one in my hands I’ll let everyone here
> know how it goes. Once I do GC would be the place to make a comment on
> that right?
>
>
I’ve been using a 1TB My Book for about 1 year with no problems. 1 partition
is Windows (Fat32), 1 is ext3 and 1 is ext4.

Russ
openSUSE 11.3 (2.6.34.7-0.5-default)|KDE 4.5.2 Release 10|
Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|4GB DDR3|GeForce 8400GS

All I can say----is my personal experience;which has been, no problems at all!

Cheers!
etech97 :slight_smile:

About the vfat x NTFS x ext4 thing: If you have enough space you could set one partition to vfat as a transfer area, as some devices (like multimedia players) will only read that. 8-20 GB should be enough.

But I am quite happy with a generic case I bought last year for 17 euros and a leftover laptop drive. It’s like a pendrive on steroids - good for storage, not to run stuff. For that I’d go e-sata.

Stop by & see how it came out in:
(http://forums.opensuse.org/english/community/general-chit-chat/449566-i-purchased-usb-external-hdd.html#post2250203)