I'm giving a speech about SuSE

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I finished both speeches in late June/early July. My speech went well. I watched the video tape of myself (the speech was recorded), and I decided against posting it. That’s not because it wasn’t a good speech but because, well, I have a funny voice :smiley: It sounds sort of southern and drawn out. Y’all might get a laugh out of that if I posted it though.

I agree with the point that the main benefit of using Linux isn’t just about being safe from many security threats. It’s about having control over your computer. Since I ditched Microsoft last year, I can now say that I have total control over my PC. It never “phones home” to Microsoft, spies on me or data mines my browsing/habits, never gets updated without my permission. I don’t need any activation codes and I don’t need to call any company to re-activate anything when I swap out hardware. It’s a good feeling!

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:36:04 +0000, BNG22908 wrote:

> That’s not
> because it wasn’t a good speech but because, well, I have a funny voice
> :smiley: It sounds sort of southern and drawn out.

Trust me when I say everyone sounds funny to themselves. The way a voice
resonates in your head is different than how it resonates in the air.

Part of my real job at Novell is reviewing videos of people presenting
(what we call an Instructor Performance Evaluation, or IPE). I’ve seen
videos of myself presenting and also have thought that my voice sounds
weird - but that’s how everyone else hears me, they don’t know how I
sound to myself.

Don’t let that be a barrier to posting the video.

Jim

On 07/16/2008 Jim Henderson wrote:
> I’ve seen videos of myself presenting and also have thought that my
> voice sounds weird

It does sound weird <g,d&r>

SCNR
U

Hmmmm… seems a nice topic. Well i wont have much lines to write, but i would suggest u to add a few lines in ur speech about Linux being a free OS, GPL, etc.
The amount of talent it has thru its community accross the world. The way people are thinking abt shaping the future of the FREE world… Sharing knowledge indiscrimanetly… etc, etc…
Also try to squeeze in a line or two abt how n y u choose SUSE over other distributions… Most importantly dont forget to share ur experience of being a proud Linux user.
Try to open ur speech hinting about “something thats free, for the benefit of all n one, as an alternate and a perfect substitute to paid softwares”…

Try to turn ur speech into a discussions with questions and answers. It would create a huge impact on the whole class making them think by the evening if they could also switch over from Mac OS to Linux.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 05:49:02 +0000, Uwe Buckesfeld wrote:

> On 07/16/2008 Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I’ve seen videos of myself presenting and also have thought that my
>> voice sounds weird
>
>
> It does sound weird <g,d&r>

Yeah, yeah, I expected that from you plunger-boy. :wink:

Jim