I'm a new guy and I need help

I can’t find linux-kernel-headers needed by Glibc-devel, maybe I’m crazy but I don’t see it in the official, or contrib, or java repo’s. I typed it in the search engine but no file. I am running open suse 11.4.

1: I need the web address to the repo containing linux-kernel-headers needed by Glibc-devel

Strange. What happens when you type the following, as the root user:

zypper search headers?

In my machine I get this:

S | Name | Summary | Type
–±---------------------±---------------------±----------
i | linux-kernel-headers | Linux Kernel Headers | package
| linux-kernel-headers | Linux Kernel Headers | srcpackage

If you are getting something different, then there’s something strange going on.

If you do get something like what I have above, then try, as root:

zypper in linux-kernel-headers

HTH…

You need this
linux-glibc-devel

It would help too if you install the Pattern: Base Development

“I need help”
posted in
“Looking for something other than support”…

???

I"m not online so I’m downloading everything manualy via a library computer you see I decided to investigate os’s other than windows just after we moved and the internet options are very limited and expensive.
I will install pattern: base development. I was going to ask at a later time which patterns I should install.
I did not dowload the dvd because windows does not support downloads larger than 4GB.
Unless Mister gminnerup tells me more precisely what he is confused about I can’t help him.
I thought I made it clear, I need linux-kernel-headers. It’s needed by glibc.rpm*64_86.rpm.
All I know is what yast told me.
Glibc.rpm is needed by half the devel packeges(approximately).
I can’t think of any other info I can give you on the subject therefore you will if you need more info ask a question.
It annoys me that I can’t find it so I thought you guys could help me out.
If all else fails find a opensuse os that does not have glibc.rpm installed and try to install it and write down it’s dependencies names, there location, and give the info to me.
It maybe a bit mutch to ask but if you can’t find any other way it would be greatly appreciated and it would help fix a bug; that being that yast is not giving me the write name, or your search engine needs an additional key word: “linux-kernel-headers”. thanks!

@ballsystemlord: I’ve seen a couple of your posts. Please, please do yourself a favor and start reading first, instead of diving in the deep without knowing where you’re going. If you’re not online on your own computer, how is that machine, once you’ve converted it to a server, going to connect to the rest of the world? Another reason why I’m writing this is, that if you would read the openSUSE download page, you would see that there are also LiveCD’s, much smaller in size, which allow you to install. Yet another reason: you cannot just put any glibc rpm on any linux system and expect everything to work. Like you cannot just move an ntkernel from Win7 to XP.

My 2 cents: go back to the beginning and make a proper start, where you understand the steps you’re taking. Motto: better first take a week to look at things, than plan, than build, then being in deep trouble after a month and then start finding out how things should have been done.

here was the idea, download open suse, fix up your old system, install it on my system, and explore my options for internet. I dowloaded open suse, tested it, liked it, then fixed up my old system, then all my plans for internet fell through. I was going to invest in internet then offer my computer as a server if all else failed, but due to a misconception that would not work out. though my computer is not a server I’m not going to be mad at any one, I did not know if it would work out there were to many variables. I’m just stuck downloading manuals and software the hard way. It’s not that I did not plan it’s that it did not work all the way.
Thanks for the advice for though it was wise I feel misjuged, and that my intelligence has been insulted.

Not my intention, no doubts about your intelligence -you took the steps to look around for options for your ideas, which shows enough-. It’s just that I have seen this before, often ending in one big line of disappointments. To be honest. there’s a lot of things I had to learn the hard way, i.e. by running into trouble.
These days computers are network machines, more and more depending on the availability of a network (such as the internet). One big serious advice: investigate how you can get connected to the internet; share a connection with neighbours, friends etc. No connection practically means that you’re on your own with your computer, transferring GB’s of data from the library to your home and probably vice versa.

windows does not support downloads larger than 4GB.
Only if you happen to have vfat file system, ntfs should be fine

Downloading the DVD might be a time save because it has the full monty. You can add it as a source in the Yast Repositories

I should tell you it is extremely unusual for wired connections not to work.
Although I have to admit it’s not 100% clear what your circumstances are. Sorry.

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 03:16:02 +0000, caf4926 wrote:

>> windows does not support downloads larger than 4GB.
>
> Only if you happen to have vfat file system, ntfs should be fine

That’s what I was thinking as well.

> Downloading the DVD might be a time save because it has the full monty.
> You can add it as a source in the Yast Repositories

Or instead of downloading it, go back to my original suggestion of
picking up an inexpensive copy of DVD through distrowatch. The $5 or so
that the DVD costs through one of those sources will save the OP a lot
of time and headaches.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I was trying to point out that you posted your request for help in the wrong forum topic. It is called “Looking for something other than support?” for a reason. Many of those willing and able to help might not see it if they don’t frequent this topic.

On 08/26/2011 09:56 PM, ballsystemlord wrote:
>
> my intelligence has been insulted.

if there is one thing i know about Knurpht it is that he would never
insult your (or anyone’s) intelligence…

its not in him and you therefore shouldn’t read what he said in a bad
way…try reading it again as an intended helpful hint to a smile…

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!

Jim Henderson wrote:
> Or instead of downloading it, go back to my original suggestion of
> picking up an inexpensive copy of DVD through distrowatch. The $5 or so
> that the DVD costs through one of those sources will save the OP a lot
> of time and headaches.
Just want to add that one can also get copies of the full packman and
contrib and nonfree repos on dvd by some of this copy services.

PC: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420
| 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.5 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 10:37:45 +0000, martin_helm wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Or instead of downloading it, go back to my original suggestion of
>> picking up an inexpensive copy of DVD through distrowatch. The $5 or
>> so that the DVD costs through one of those sources will save the OP a
>> lot of time and headaches.
> Just want to add that one can also get copies of the full packman and
> contrib and nonfree repos on dvd by some of this copy services.

Excellent, I wasn’t aware of that. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson

I got a message that said
"windows internet explorer (all vertions) is not capable of handling files larger then 4GB

this means you will not be able to download the DVD images useing ie

please use a different browser or downloadmanager"
Considering all the programs on the library comuters are the default ones from the instilation disk (exept things like a pdf viewer) and you can’t install any thing I don’t know how to get it. I made the mistake of saying above that linu-kernel-headers was a .rpm it’s not thats why the search engine can’t find it. I also forgot to add “Devel” on glibc.rpm (above)it is called gilbc-devel.rpm it needs linux-kernel-headers. I will keep searching.

I’m sorry I said the wrong name it’s glibc-DEVEL.rpm that needs linux-kernel-headers NO .rpm at the end thats why the search can’t find it. I get the following errowhen I vist the main download page " winndows internet explorer (all versions) is not capable of handling files larger then 4GB

This means you will not be able to download the DVD images useing ie

Please use a different browser or download manager

I can’t install anything on a library computer. HEY I think I found IT!! It’s a file called linux-glibc-devel.noarch.rpm
I will tell you if thats it when I next return however there are many other files like that one I only told you about the desperate one; there are others like
alephone-core-data,
glibmm2-doc,
gnu-plot,
etc. I got a list of all of them.
I don’t know if you would like me to write down (here) (when I find them) what they are called.
Get back to me on that one

Did you ever read this
(http://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/looking-something-other-than-support/464316-im-new-guy-i-need-help.html#post2376542)

If communication isn’t your first language… …no worries, wait for one to come along that is. :slight_smile:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:56:02 +0000, ballsystemlord wrote:

> I got a message that said
> "windows internet explorer (all vertions) is not capable of handling
> files larger then 4GB
>
> this means you will not be able to download the DVD images useing ie

Maybe the library installed something to cause that to be the case, or
the filesystem is fat32 (which does only support 4 GB filesizes at the
largest). But thousands of people use Windows to download ISO images of
full DVDs every day and don’t have that problem show up.

Indeed, Windows not being able to download a 4.7 GB ISO would severely
limit distribution of ISO files - and Microsoft’s own MSDN library uses
ISO downloads for software so as to save on shipping costs (I know this
well, I used to have an MSDN Universal subscription).

Jim

Jim Henderson

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:16:02 +0000, ballsystemlord wrote:

> This means you will not be able to download the DVD images useing ie

And let’s try this again:

Go to distrowatch.com

Click on one of the very inexpensive “order a DVD” or “order a flash
drive” options. < $10, you can get a DVD and not have to deal with these
problems.

That will save you a LOT of time and a LOT of frustration at having to go