ifup and network manager are not using defined ssid

I just installed OpenSuSE 11.3 on an old IBM T20 I had kicking around and I’m using a Proxim Wireless PCMCIA Card (Atheros AR5001X). Since this laptop does not have a DVD drive I installed the system using the Netboot CD and have the SuSE 11.3 ISO on an NFS/SAMBA file server. The issues appeared after the first reboot, the adapter no longer worked. I resorted to using the wired interface to finish the install.

Once the system was up followed the trouble shooting steps outlined in various places and found the ESSID is not being picked up by the ifup scripts. Not sure if it matters but I have ESSID broadcasts turned off on all my WAPs.

The ESSID is in ifcfg-wlan0. To get wireless working I have to manually issue iwconfig wlan0 essid “xxxx”…

Both networkmanager and ifup fail…

Any ideas to get this to work on startup?

There’s no advantage to not broadcasting your ESSID. Turn that back on and save yourself a lot of time and headache. Anyone who wants to get to your network will be able to find it with a simple scan anyway. People who don’t know wouldn’t bother anyway.

whether I broadcast essid or not shouldn’t the start scripts use the essid I define?

On 02/19/2011 04:06 PM, xtree wrote:
>
> whether I broadcast essid or not shouldn’t the start scripts use the
> essid I define?

Do you have the ESSID setup in /home/finger/getnet/ifcfg-wlan0?

Actually there are some advantages of not broadcasting ESSID as well as some drawbacks :slight_smile: It should work with either ifup or NetworkManager (it works here). See if post 12# from the thread below helps :
Cannot connect to a hidden SSID

Best regards,
Greg

iwlist was not a fix for me. I still have to use iwconfig … that I posted in my first post. At least this is a known issue and no known fix. Thanks for the references.

BTW after reading the bugzilla I doubt this will be fixed anytime soon, since it’s been open since '09. This isn’t good and gives a blackeye to an otherwise nice implementation.

This helps when using NetworkManager. Are You sure You switched the network to be controlled by NetworkManager ?
It should look something like this for polish openSUSE KDE install :
SUSE Paste

By the way You should rename ifcfg-wlan0 to something else for example ifcfg-wlan0.bak, when using NetworkManager make sure that You set the network to be controlled by NetworkManager and reboot. After that create a profile in knetworkmanager or the GNOME applet when using GNOME and then issue the iwlist scan command so that knetworkmanager thinks the hidden network is safe and after all those steps knetworkmanager or GNOME NetworkManager applet should get You connected. You can also check what’s actually happening by using this command when trying to connect :

sudo tail -f /var/log/NetworkManager

Best regards,
Greg

even though the networkmanager fix works I run init 3 on this laptop. It’s a test platfrom for a network analysis class I’m enrolled it. … Thanks for the pointers, I have a better grasp on the issues.

Use whatever works :slight_smile: by the way if You like NetworkManager there is some cli tool for it so running it in init 3 is possible but I guess the traditional method is much better suited for your needs.

Best regards,
Greg