ifup and ifplugd

hi

is there any difference between ifup and ifplug?
or they just do the thing.

Yes, ifup is a script for configuring network interfaces, ifplugd (if you mean that, ifplug does not exist on my system here) is a daemon who can detect if an interface is “physically” connected to a network (not only “cable plugged in” for wired devices, it also works for wireless devices, here AFAIK it means “associated to an AP”) and then configure the interface (i.e. with ifup) or deconfigure (i.e. by ifdwon) when the interface is “physically” (see above) disconnected.

Did you read

man ifup

and

man ifplugd

I suppose not, because then you would have seen that one of them is a deamon with a special purpose (acting on the (un)plugging of network cables) and the other is a NIC management tool.

The first action when wanting to know something about a Unix/Linux tool, configuration file, etc. is trying to read the man pages. They are on your system and all over the Internet. Then when you have still unresolved questions (quite possible because man pages are allways very technical and do not often explain very much), come back here with specific questions.

that means that ifplug is a deamon (program) witch uses ifup (script) once the cable is connected(or wireless),or ifdown (script) when the cable (wireless) is disconnected.

thx a lot Akoellh
:slight_smile:

and sometimes even reading the Man information and other documentations I dont understand!!cause I’m a beginner,and also I’m not a native english speaker,but there is one thing ,I’ll never give up.:wink:
thx any way lol!