If Novel improves Mono OpenSuse Will be Best Linux

I think Novel should concentrate more on making installtion of MonoDevelope and Mono Runtime more user and Developer Friendly.

Microsoft have always developed in Developers Friendly strategy. which has been hallmark of their successus in destop Market.

Lack of Proper Developers Resource,Documentation,Books is halting
small developers from being

According to me Novel can gain a great market share of Linux if it developes more stable Monodevelop,GTK#,Mono Runtime.

Although Opensuse is 2nd most used Linux Distrom, it can become No 1 just with One Year… i can forecast that.

If I am right in future the combination of
GMMM (Gtk#, Mono Runtime, MonoDevelop,MySQL) can make big difference as LAMP proved in Web World

Novel should promote & Support an OpenSource Reporting Software as Reporting Tool (Just Find Very Good One and Overtake It).

And here I was thinking they should’ve fired de Icaza instead of all those other developers.

  • chityala shailesh,

so far I haven’t seen a Mono based software I didn’t hate. Bloated resource hogs lacking stability, IMHO.

Uwe

Chrysantine and buckesfeld, I notice both of you are from Europe, where things are probably different, but here in the United States, colleges are graduating a vast number of developers who only know C#, VB.NET, and ASP.NET. Novell developing a solid Mono on SUSE is EXTREMELY important, otherwise all these developers that are graduating would only be able to develop on Windows. Without Mono, Linux would have a bleak future ahead for the companies which will end up hiring these developers.

The world doesn’t end on United States. The reason that they know these programming languages are thanks to Microsoft’s strategy.

True and True. But still, Novell has to meet the needs of the US market.

I certainly think that if Novell wants to expand development, they should aim for Europe and Asia. I’ve lived in the U.S. for about 2 years now and trying to make Americans get rid of Windows and the ways they used to program is going to be extremely hard and it’s just simply not recommended. Typically, people get lazier and lazier. And I bet developing SuSE will not be an easy task, when Windows already has all these languages and software. I pray to god that happens though, because I, myself, am so sick of Microsoft. I wish there was a way I could help, but since my programming skills are pretty low I am definitely a person to rely on. Although, If SuSE becomes commercial(meaning starting to advertise, but still Open Source) I will definitely support it anyhow, because all that robbery that Microsoft, Mac, and Adobe commit every day, for so many years, is simply ridiculous and has to stop someday.

I get that they need to adjust to United States market but i find the deal between Novell and Microsoft at least fishy. Probably Microsoft figured out that they can’t wain the war then they will “buy out” some of them with a bribe like Mono. Microsoft can wait many years to pull the plug out and leave Novell standing naked. As You can see most of Linux’s kernel is still in C and it definitely works ok :slight_smile:

BY the way, the ultimate goal at the end is to control the information. Apple and Microsoft may look like great enemies but ultimately the people behind those companies (no, not Ballmer or other CEO) want to control information and the Open Source is against their will so they need to fight it off.

I agree with the OP, that if Mono could be improved to the point where it could run current .NET programs it would be so cool and it would be a force to be reckoned with. There are many very nice .NET programs. Two I really enjoy when I am using Windows are Paint.Net and CDBurnerXP. I would install them in Linux in a heartbeat.

As for the current state of Mono apps, I am a huge fan of Banshee. To me it’s the best player in Linux. I can’t stand Beagle, however, and it’s the first thing to go when I install Suse.

Here’s it’s C or Java - of course some businesses like .NET but then again they’re usually the ones producing the worst code in the world.

A13kSAk3 wrote:

>
> I certainly think that if Novell wants to expand development, they
> should aim for Europe and Asia. I’ve lived in the U.S. for about 2
> years now and trying to make Americans get rid of Windows and the
> ways they used to program is going to be extremely hard and it’s just
> simply not recommended. Typically, people get lazier and lazier. And
> I bet developing SuSE will not be an easy task, when Windows already
> has all these languages and software. I pray to god that happens
> though, because I, myself, am so sick of Microsoft. I wish there was
> a way I could help, but since my programming skills are pretty low I
> am definitely a person to rely on. Although, If SuSE becomes
> commercial(meaning starting to advertise, but still Open Source) I
> will definitely support it anyhow, because all that robbery that
> Microsoft, Mac, and Adobe commit every day, for so many years, is
> simply ridiculous and has to stop someday.

So if as you say people get lazier and lazier, why would you think
Europe and Asia would be any different? A general knowledge person that
uses a computer to check email and do some web surfing in America will
be just as less likely to switch to Linux as the same in Europe and
Asia in my opinion. Nothing to do with where a person lives, all to do
with learning something new.

People don’t have to buy their products. Those companies charge as much as the market will bare. People choose to purchase them. I will agree that their prices are more than their products are worth TO ME but I’m sure others feel differently or they wouldn’t buy them. So, I don’t think robbery is the right word. here.

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 21:10 +0000, Uwe Buckesfeld wrote:
> * chityala shailesh,
>
> so far I haven’t seen a Mono based software I didn’t hate. Bloated resource hogs lacking stability, IMHO.

JUST like Java. So… if Mono is bad… Java is bad for the same
reasons.

With that said .Net and C# are infinitely better than Java technically.
Sad, but true.

So… I think Mono is a important project. My problem is that it’s
difficult to IMPOSSIBLE to play catch up when you’re copying something
else out there (think of wine as another example). So Mono COULD
be the world’s preffered .Net… BUT, right now, they’re not actively
pushing that… until that happens, Mono will always be the
ALMOST .Net platform… and almost isn’t going to be good enough
in >99% all cases.

I don’t agree. What way are they better?

With that said .Net and C# are infinitely better than Java technically.
Sad, but true.

Huh? What are you talking about? I’ve developed with both languages and I don’t see much in the way of an infinite difference.

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 21:16 +0000, zak89 wrote:
> > With that said .Net and C# are infinitely better than Java technically.
> > Sad, but true.
>
> Huh? What are you talking about? I’ve developed with both languages and
> I don’t see much in the way of an infinite difference.

It’s not infinite… just C# has more features. C# is a superset
of Java.

I’m no .NET or Java programmer, but Mono gives me the creeps. It might be the best programming language in the world, have the best toolkit with GTK (that is impossible as Qt is the best toolkit around for Linux)…but what gives me the creeps is the fact that Microshaft will come around in the future and sue the hell out of Mono users for patent violations etc etc.

GNOME is getting increasingly infected with Mono apps…and while they might be superior, the danger of submarine patents certainly lurks. OIN (Open Innovation Network) has Mono listed as a technology listed under its “defensive-MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction)” list…and Novell holds a killer patent against Microshaft, all agreed…but that didn’t stop MS from suing Tom Tom for patent violations (even though Tom Tom joined OIN after the lawsuit). The same would be the case with GNOME and Mono.

I’m a KDE user and an occasional GNOME user as well. I certainly do not hold anything against GNOME as it too is an excellent DE. But what I hate about GNOME is everything related Mono. I certainly don’t wanna see a banshee.exe, gnome-do.exe or tomboy.exe running on my Linux box…and yes, they do run as .exe’s, use htop to monitor the processes and you’ll know.

-Anshul

Monodevelop could definitely benefit from some user/developer friendly tweaks.

I work in VB.NET using Visual Studio at work and am 100% Linux at home. I would LOVE to be able to transfer my knowledge/experience from work into my home (Linux) world (and vice-verse).

Unfortunately Monodevelop for VB is lacking behind the C# counterpart last I knew.

If Mono (or more specifically Monodevelop) got more user-friendly then it would benefit Mono and Linux because it would tap into the large .NET developer base.

One guy I know here is an old Foxpro programmer and he’s found a Visual Foxpro IDE he can use that compiles to Mono. Mono would allow him to re-use his experience as well as the varied experience of people he works with while maintaining a consistent platform to distribute it on.

Also, C# has more platform-specific features that can affect portability.