IBM X3400 not waking up since 11.4

Since “upgrading” to 11.4 with KDE desktop my machine is becoming difficult to wake up. After a period of inactivity the disks power down and would power up as soon as I started a program or selected say; Dolphin from the desktop.

Now if I click on an icon I get the bouncing ball for a while and then nothing. The bouncing icon just disappears. I cannot get programs to run and this evening had to restart, which did respond. Before it shut down all the programs I had tried and failed to start proceeded to start, only to be stopped again by the shut down.

This didn’t happen with 11.2. Cannot be sure it is software related but are there any checks I can do or is there a sure fire way to wake the machine up?

Since “upgrading” to 11.4 with KDE desktop my machine is becoming difficult to wake up. After a period of inactivity the disks power down and would power up as soon as I started a program or selected say; Dolphin from the desktop.

Now if I click on an icon I get the bouncing ball for a while and then nothing. The bouncing icon just disappears. I cannot get programs to run and this evening had to restart, which did respond. Before it shut down all the programs I had tried and failed to start proceeded to start, only to be stopped again by the shut down.

This didn’t happen with 11.2. Cannot be sure it is software related but are there any checks I can do or is there a sure fire way to wake the machine up?

Budgie2, did you really upgrade or do a clean install? If you maintain a separate /home partition, you can do a clean install, but only mount and not format your /home area and get back all of your settings, you only need to reinstall any missing software after the full clean install is finished. Further, you can backup your /home area if you did not make a separate partition and then restore it after the clean install, perhaps now to a separate /home partition. Real upgrades can often cause mixed software versions which can create some very odd problems. Also, no matter if a upgrade or clean install, tell us everything about your hardware. Perhaps we can look up some stuff to see if it is relevant or not to your situation.

Thank You,

Hi James,
Sorry it has been a while but I still have the problem and have been living with it.
In reply to your answer, I did do a new install as I have a separate home partition.
I have not been able to pin down the symptoms. Tonight for instance I could hear the disks starting up and I was able to use firefox but couldn’t open a console window. Once I stopped Firefox then I could but within minutes I was not ble to start yast, dolphin or even another console.
The only certain fix is for me to log out and log back in.
I have looked again at the BIOS options and cannot see any options for putting drives to sleep but there may be such an option on the hardware raid bios. Not checked this yet. Otherwise I assume it is somewhere in openSUSE settings.
Am sure the problem is software related because the logout always does the trick. If I do select logout then all the items I have tried to start flash up for a few seconds before closing, as though the actions had been saved.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Can you tell me what your KDE power management settings are set for and the profile that you are using? When you startup openSUSE, I think you can press F5 and temporally disable systemd. It might be helpful to know if the problem is still present when using SysV. This makes no permanent change as you only need to reboot again and not press F5 to use the default systemd again.

Thank You,

Hi James,
In the Global Settings the profile assignment is “Performance”
Since the last few updates the problem has diminished so not only can I hear the disks starting up but eventually the program I selected runs. I have no idea where the setting is for the disk power down. How do I get to that? (Just too many options for me these days!!!)
Budgie2

The program hdparm can be used to determine and set the Hard Drive poer settings. I would look up the manual page on the command. I am work now and not running Linux to look it up for you, but I did find this page.

hdparm(8): get/set SATA/IDE device parameters - Linux man page

Thank You,