IBM Thinkcentre MT-M 8795

Hello there, I’m currently trying to install 13.1 onto my desktop, but it won’t let me get into installation, even the Live Environment or even check installation media. It gives me the main menu, and the options but nothing beyond that. But only gives me the black background with Gekko on his branch.

It is IBM Thinkcentre MT-M 8795
3GHz
1GB RAM
160GB HD

When I went into the BIOS the only thing I thought it could be were:

Legacy Free: Disabled
No Execute Technology: Enabled

Not sure if that has anything to do with anything but any suggestions would be great.

I tried using both OpenSUSE 13.1 KDE Live DVD and 12.3 Full Installation DVD and neither worked.

JudasDisciple wrote:
>
> Hello there, I’m currently trying to install 13.1 onto my desktop, but
> it won’t let me get into installation, even the Live Environment or even
> check installation media. It gives me the main menu, and the options but
> nothing beyond that. But only gives me the black background with Gekko
> on his branch.
>
> It is IBM Thinkcentre MT-M 8795
> 3GHz
> 1GB RAM
> 160GB HD
>
> When I went into the BIOS the only thing I thought it could be were:
>
> Legacy Free: Disabled
> No Execute Technology: Enabled
>
> Not sure if that has anything to do with anything but any suggestions
> would be great.
>
>
Did you try (f3==>text mode) when booting the live dvd or full dvd
Do you see any error ?

Version 3.10.2
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop

Error: Could not stat device /dev/sr No - such file or directory

Partition 1 on dev/sr doesn’t appear… fatal!

UDF-fs: Warning (device ram1): udf_fill_super: No partition found!

On 2013-12-29 22:46, JudasDisciple wrote:

> No Execute Technology: Enabled

Would not that be “secure boot”?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Elessar))

That is pretty much what I was thinking, but somehow I didn’t really think that an IBM of that age would have that technology implemented. But then again I don’t know how long UEFI has been around.

This also in turn made me think whether this is a 64-bit computer… but running WinXP(Which apparently it was designed for) just seems a little bit silly.

On 2013-12-31 02:56, JudasDisciple wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2612614 Wrote:

>>> No Execute Technology: Enabled
>>
>> Would not that be “secure boot”?

> That is pretty much what I was thinking, but somehow I didn’t really
> think that an IBM of that age would have that technology implemented.
> But then again I don’t know how long UEFI has been around.
>
> This also in turn made me think whether this is a 64-bit computer… but
> running WinXP(Which apparently it was designed for) just seems a little
> bit silly.

If it was designed for XP, it is doubtful it has uefi or secure boot. But then it mentions “Legacy
Free”… what legacy?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Elessar))

My guess would be that would refer to no legacy cards or devices…

My recommendation would be that the OP start by loading the default settings back into BIOS, then try again, letting us know what errors pop up then.

The IBM ThinkCenter should work fine with OpenSUSE.

-fb

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> If it was designed for XP, it is doubtful it has uefi or secure boot. But
> then it mentions “Legacy Free”… what legacy?
>

With IBM, that usually refers to USB devices such as mice and keyboards.

Will Honea

Error: Could not stat device /dev/sr No - such file or directory

Partition 1 on dev/sr doesn’t appear… fatal!

UDF-fs: Warning (device ram1): udf_fill_super: No partition found!

This is what I got.

I am assuming that you did as I suggested, went into the BIOS, and selected Load Defaults and Exit, and these are the errors you got after you did that?

Have you tried just booting the PC with the OpenSUSE Live CD? I don’t mean installing, but actually launching the live CD session?

If that works, drop to a command line and give us the output from the command:

fdisk -l

I think the “sr” seems to indicate it is trying to install to a CD or DVD drive, or that it is having difficulty reading from your DVD, and ram I suppose is ram. I’m just taking a wild guess at the moment, but the output from the above command should get us farther.

-fb

I tried the Live Environment and that did exactly the same.

Maybe Video. What chip?

Try the nokms option F5 I think

Test your RAM.

I looked up IBM Thinkcentre MT-M 8795 on Lenovo’s site here: Overview - ThinkCentre M55 (type 8795).

The graphics chip is specified to be Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000.

The first CPU specified at 3GHz that I found (going backwards in the list of CPU alternatives) was the Intel Pentium D Processor 925 (4M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB), a dual-core 64-bit CPU. It is equipped with Intel’s Execute Disable Bit (introduced around 2003 IIRC), and this is probably what the “No Execute Technology” is about. Here’s Intel’s explanation of it: “Execute Disable Bit is a hardware-based security feature that can reduce exposure to viruses and malicious-code attacks and prevent harmful software from executing and propagating on the server or network.”
When introduced, some SW were legitimately executing code where the Execute Disable Bit would prevent, so being able to disable it is necessary for backwards compatibility with such SW. Such SW was rare, however - at least in the Windows camp lol!, and I expect that Intel’s move effectively killed off any further development in that direction. So leaving it on should be safe. I’ve seen posts suggesting that Win8 requires the Execute Disable Bit to be enabled (I haven’t checked that with MS yet), so I guess disabling this bit on newer systems will no longer be possible (my Asus S200E has it set - and I haven’t found a way to adjust it).

I agree with what is suggested previously: If you have diagnostic SW, (IBM used to deliver good diagnostic SW with their systems) you should pick it out and first execute the quick variant (it IS fairly quick) to see if something is detected. If not, you should run the exended variant, maybe even the continous variant and let it run for some 24-36 hours. (To be honest, I don’t think continous execution is necessary, as you seem to identify problems fairly quickly. I assume that you don’t leave your system powered on continously for days and between attempts. If you do, continous execution may be necessary nevertheless).

Good luck

dayfinger

Well, checked the memory. Apparently it passed with flying colours. Got a 64-bit installation DVD now, which does seem to want to work better. But when I wanted to install it stalled, but didn’t give any errors. I shall start again in the morning to see if a full day session of installing is needed.

Well this latest one one said “No Setup Signature Found” when I tried installing. So I decided to do the firmware test:

[FAIL] OS/2 Memory Hole Test:
The memory map has a memory hole between 15mb and 16mb

[FAIL] HPET configuration test
Failed to locate HPET base

[FAIL] DMI information check
No SMBIOS nor DMI entry point found

[WARN] Fan tests
No fan information present

[WARN]PCI Express MaxReadReq tuning
MaxReadReq for device PCI:̣//00:00:1b.0 is low (128)

[WARN] CPU frequency scaling tests (1-2 mins)
Frequency Scaling Not Supported

[INFO] (experimental) DMA Remapping (VT-d) test
No DMAR ACPI table found.

[INFO] VT/VMX Virtualization Extensions
Processor does not support Virtualization Extensions

[INFO] EDD Boot disk hinting