i586 with kernel 5.16 - non-blinking cursor after "loading initial RAM disk"

Hy!

On an old Dell Precision M60 I have after updating to 5.16 a non-blinking cursor in the upper left corner and nothing else.

Last output is: “Loading initial RAM disk”, then screen turns black and that’s it.

Old 5.15.8-1default boots just fine.

Where to start? Boot old kernel, remove the 5.16 and wait for updates? How to remove 5.16 correctly?

Many thanks in advance!

Boot without kernel option “quiet” and with “plymouth.enable=0”, this may show more details.

Hi and thanks!

I tried recovery mode in the meantime

https://paste.opensuse.org/72142051

To change the kernel parameters I boot to old kernel and edit in Yast -> Bootloader? Or what is the procedure from “C: Command line” in Grub? :slight_smile:

You press ‘e’ on menu entry in grub. Exactly as it tells you (E: Edit Entry). Then edit line that starts with “linux” (or less likely “linuxefi”).

Yes, that’s one way to do it.

I would use the “e”-option (instead of the “c”-option). However you should keep in mind that the changes applied by using the GRUB “e”-option are only temporarily while the changes done with the afore mentioned YaST are permanent.

Regards

susejunky

Sorry, took me too long to prepare my post- arvidjaar was first !

OK, I did that, there were LOTS of text, much to fast to read and after about 10-15 sec the screen went black, fan is spinning, but nothing else happening. No activity on RJ45, so no option to go in via ssh…

That’s odd!

Can you try the old kernel/YaST way?

Regards

susejunky

Old kernel: see first post, doing fine! :slight_smile:

Will try Yast…

Yes, i’m aware of this.

But as you cannot use GRUBs “e”-option then you have to change /boot/grub2/grub.cfg somehow to get rid of those kernel command line options …

Regards

susejunky

Grub option E:Edit worked, as it changed the output, but it did not boot successfully. Will try Yast -> Bootloader now :wink:

Edited bootloader (deleted “quiet” and added plymouth.enable=0) in Yast, reboot, same difference, lots of fast text, after 15-20 secs screen turns black, fan spinning, end of game…

Sorry, i’m lost.

I do not understand what you are saying here nor did i assume that this

was meant to say that you could change the options and boot.

Regards

susejunky

Do you have any chance to video capture it?

Any hints in the journal?

journalctl -b -1 -p 3

(as root)

Regards

susejunky

Maybe it’s time to remove 5.16 and lock 5.15.8 to keep a booting system for the time beeing. How to remove a non-booted kernel? I don’t see it in Yast → Software…

No idea how… no, and it’s scrolling so fast, no way to read this anyway! I can’t read it with my eyes…

PS: I booted now the old kernel, which switches the display resolution after some 12 seconds into booting from 640x480 to native resolution. Maybe this is the point where the 5.16 fails? Will have a look at journalctl…

Hmm…

# journalctl -b -1 -p 3 
-- Journal begins at Tue 2021-09-28 15:56:59 CEST, ends at Sun 2022-01-16 16:02:06 CET. --
Jan 16 15:07:57 dellTW0921 kernel: bbswitch: No suitable _DSM call found.
Jan 16 15:08:08 dellTW0921 systemd[1]: Failed to activate swap Swap Partition.
Jan 16 15:08:08 dellTW0921 kernel: bbswitch: No suitable _DSM call found.
Jan 16 15:08:20 dellTW0921 tlp[515]: Error: tlp.service is not enabled, power saving will not apply on boot.
Jan 16 15:08:20 dellTW0921 tlp[515]: >>> Invoke 'systemctl enable tlp.service' to correct this!
Jan 16 15:08:23 dellTW0921 kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: unexpected event for opcode 0x0000
Jan 16 15:08:31 dellTW0921 chronyd[940]: Could not open command socket on ::1]:323
Jan 16 15:37:52 dellTW0921 lightdm[1461]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Jan 16 15:38:17 dellTW0921 gnomesu-pam-backend[1880]: The gnome keyring socket is not owned with the same credentials as the user login>
Jan 16 15:38:17 dellTW0921 gnomesu-pam-backend[1880]: gkr-pam: couldn't unlock the login keyring.

Not helpful, or?

By now, 5.15.8 is probably your oldest kernel. So edit “/etc/zypp/zypp.conf” and add “oldest,” to the multiversion line, so that it is not deleted until you manually delete it.

To remove that 5.16 kernel, you can use Yast Software Management. Click on the “Versions” tab. Then click on the particular version you want to remove (you might have to click twice to get it to remove rather than reinstall).

The downside to removing that kernel, is that your next update will want to bring it back.

By the way, 5.16 is working fine on my 32-bit Tumbleweed. However, it is kernel-pae, not kernel-default, and I am actually booting that on a 64-bit virtual machine.

Just a wild guess: Maybe it hangs because it fails to activate the SWAP partition.

Regards

susejunky

hmm… there is no swap in fstab… ?!?