I want to use intex matrix raid on Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 with an SSD

Intel has come out with a fascinating concept with their MB matrix RAID which I am using on some windoze machines. It is a type of RAID1 called “recovery disk”. This has the fascinating feature of writing to both the master and the recovery disk but reading ONLY from the master disk. Just think of it. You use an SSD for the master disk but then keep a running backup mirror on a hard disk. You get the speed of an SSD etc.

Several problems. Gparted does not seem to recognize the intel RAID though I was under the impression that it was supported.

NOTE, when the Intel ROM RAID config says that by creating a master and recovery disk that you are about to destroy your data, they are NOT kidding as I had initially hoped. OH BOTHER! I guess MB ROM RAID config with working OS drives is not the place for wishful thinking.

windoze has a very nice management tool for the matrix RAID that allows you to create a “recovery” RAID without losing your data. Does such a util exist for us?

Is there an Intel RAID driver for SUSE 12.1? Is there a utility for managing the RAID? This should have a happy ending, should it not?

Keep up the good work, ya’ll!

On 2012-06-02 17:26, sellcomSUSE wrote:
> Is there an Intel RAID driver for SUSE 12.1? Is there a utility for
> managing the RAID? This should have a happy ending, should it not?

Ask the devs in the factory mail list, they should know.

It is an interesting idea, this raid, I think. It seems a software thing.
Do you have a link to it?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I believe that it is kind of a hybrid RAID that comes on the new Intel motherboards. Certain functionality is in the ROM but really needs OS support. Look at any of the new Intel motherboards that have RAID and use the Matrix Storage Manager software.

Cheers!

I suppose it’s ‘fake raid’ (software level) so you can use mdadm. Looking at it, it has ICH…

mdadm will detect the raid containers (imsm) created by the intel bios rom.

What are you trying to achieve exactly?

Cheers.

PS
This kind of SSD-add to the MB to increase the speed for some application is not only intel’s - lots of manufacturers already do it. :slight_smile:

There seems to be no real help as to how to setup a RAID using the BIOS for an existing disk. With windoze it is as simple as saying “yes” to do you want to add a spare drive as a recovery disk. I already tried making an array with the Intel BIOS and only managed to erase two disks even though I was only setting up a recovery disk. After that there was no way to boot into Suse to set up a RAID with mdadm or anything else. Before that there is no RAID device for mdadm to see.

The beauty of this would be that it is like a RAID1 except that it reads only from the master disk (in this case an SSD) while the writes go to both disks.

It’s always a good idea to read the documentation BEFORE poking around. :wink: Here is a quote from the manual of your MB related to the “Smart Response Technology”:

• The Intel Smart Response Technology requires a computer system with an Intel Z68 Chipset-based
•motherboard and an Intel Core series CPU.
• The operating system must be installed to the SATA disk.
• Supported operating systems include Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
• If you have installed the operating system before configuring the Smart Response Technology, all original data on the hard disk will be lost once you enable RAID mode. • It is recommended that you back up the hard disk before enabling the Smart Response Technology.

I have an intel ICH mb on which I did set a RAID10 with imsm container and using mdadm, it has also the “spare disk” setting but I didn’t try it.

The installer did detect it and offered me to use mdadm for managing it. OpenSUSE 12.1 has other issues with this fake raid - see this threador search for others and bugzilla reports, but at the moment it’s working.

Not sure if this kind of setup will work on dual boot with windows but it’s worth a try before having any operating system on it.

Unfortunately I do not think you can do it by the normal procedure, i.e. install win first then opensuse, but it would require manually building the raid config from a live-distro.

Not a raid guru myself, still learning, but if you only intend to use your PC with OpenSUSE it should work.

Cheers.

On 2012-06-04 07:26, ghostintheruins wrote:

> It’s always a good idea to read the documentation BEFORE poking around.
> :wink: Here is a quote from the ‘manual’ (http://tinyurl.com/8x89ajo) of
> your MB related to the “Smart Response Technology”:

wikipedia

The description here is different: “is a proprietary caching mechanism
introduced in 2011 by Intel for their Z68 chipset (for the Sandy
Bridge–series processors), which allows a SATA solid-state drive (SSD) to
function as cache for a (conventional, magnetic) hard disk drive.”

Is not a raid in the sense of duplication, all data is not duplicated.
Instead, just up to 64 GiB are cached.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I am NOT talking about the caching feature of just having an SSD to boost performance I have a 256G SSD (which are getting cheaper and cheaper if you check slickdeals.net ).

I am wanting to have Matrix RAID using the recovery disk option which is a type of RAID1 which I have on a windoze box.

I had RAID enabled in the BIOS before putting the data and OS on the disk (using gparted). I do NOT have windoze installed on this box. I simply want to be happy and successful.

Windoze will allow you to simply add in a recovery disk from within the OS. Suse should have this feature as well considering the way SSD prices are dropping.

On 2012-06-04 17:46, sellcomSUSE wrote:
> Windoze will allow you to simply add in a recovery disk from within the
> OS. Suse should have this feature as well considering the way SSD
> prices are dropping.

It is proprietary technology. Ask Intel to implement it for Linux, not
openSUSE.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

If you are talking of creating a RAID1 system from an installed non-RAID system, I think it’s possible.

Have a look here (it’s on debian): How To Set Up Software RAID1 On A Running System (Incl. GRUB Configuration) (Debian Etch) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

But I think you won’t have it with an imsm container though - ask intel to support linux. :wink:

Cheers

PS

I really do not unsderstand how you installed your system - had what type of RAID enabled and how you installed the OS using gparted… The installer should have detected a RAID container and offer you to use mdadm…