I think I will use Ubuntu Hardy for a little while longer

Well despite my best efforts, OpenSuse seems too unstable for me to use right now.
With total system freeze outs once a day and issues with both gnome and KDE I am afraid I must retract my OpenSuse use for the time being.
But hey at least I tried, and will give Opensuse another spin with 11.2.
For me Ubuntu Hardy seems to do what I need it to, despite it not using the latest software and junk its stable and that is what I need the most:
Stability
But my experience is not in vain, I learned a few things about Opensuse and I will help others if and when possible :smiley:

good luck, use what works :slight_smile:

Indeed, but I might give Opensuse another shot sooner depending on how KDE 4.3 comes out.
I will give it another trial run for sure then, hey there is probably going to be plenty of kernel patches and bigfix chances between then and now :smiley:
By the way how much longer is OpenSuse 11.0 going to be supported?
I might give that a shot, but I dont see a timeline of the support cycle.
Maybe I should give an older version a shot for fun :smiley:

you can see the lifetime here SUSE Linux Lifetime - openSUSE

Thanks, so June 10th 2010…
Not too shabby, heck even 10.3 seems like something I can use for the next 6 months (October is when the next major releases come anyway)
I typically give my OS 6 months anyhow, a habit I got from using Ubuntu.

I usually skip a release so I can use my version a bit longer. Unless something is terribly broken and forces me to upgrade to the next version.

hint: you may also try out Mandriva

If stability is important to you, was there a particular reason why you rejected KDE-3.5.10 ? It still has more features than KDE-4. And it comes with openSUSE-11.1. And it works really really good.

If one does not want to use the DVD to install openSUSE-11.1, then one can even download a live CD with KDE-3.5.10 for openSUSE-11.1 and install from that: Carlos Gonçalves: Unofficial KDE 3.5 Live CD for openSUSE 11.1

Me too. Stability is a key reason why I use KDE-3.5.10. That KDE version is not even offered by Ubuntu (to the best of my knowledge).

Still, I have some friends who use Ubuntu, and they like it, so you have good company there.

Best wishes in your Linux experience. I also am looking forward to openSUSE-11.2.

I have already, but Mandriva is a pain in the neck to keep current.
Its package management team takes forever to update things.
I did use Mandriva in the past but without community repositories its not as good as Ubuntu or OpenSuse.
I like my system to be easy to use, stable, and most importantly desktop based and community supported.
But Linux in general fits the bill, thats why I use it.
I find Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Mandriva, PCLinux and even Debian quite easy to use.
The only issue I had with debian is that if you choose lenny its too stable in nature and newer packages are hard to find unless you use Sid.
But if you use sid you might as well use Ubuntu as it is based on sid but tends to be more stable.

didn’t knew that about Mandriva. I haven’t touched it since Mandrake 8.1 back in 2001 when I hopped on Linux… I switched over to SUSE in 2003, then for a short period of a few months to Fedora, then back to SUSE and been here ever since. Tried Ubuntu for a day a while back but it drove me nuts…

I didnt reject KDE3, my KDE4 tests were more for fun then anything else.
I did give KDE 3 a shot in Opensuse though, but it was soso compared to say PCLinux or Mepis in my experince

Me too. Stability is a key reason why I use KDE-3.5.10. That KDE version is not even offered by Ubuntu (to the best of my knowledge).

Actually Ubuntu does have 3.5.10 in Hardy, and for Ubuntu Ibex and Jaunty there is a KDE 3 version available from the community.

Stability is important for me also. I have openSUSE 10.3 as workhorse, still getting security updates but it must be nearing end of support. However after 11.1, you would find Yast package management slow on 10.3, and its packages generally older. I missed out 11.0 due to many reported early problems (as with 10.3 but they were fixed).

With kde 3.5.10, 11.1 is very, very stable here and fast. I will probably replace 10.3 with it soon, but will have to use one of three other distros that work for catch-up TV video, as 11.1 with Flash 10 is unusable on my h/w.

I have had the odd crash with KDE 4.2.2 on Kubuntu 9.04 (upgraded from Hardy 8.04). Although it recovered itself and didn’t take the system down, it’s not stable enough for me.

I have come to the conclusion I will always multiboot linux distros. It’s necessary to reduce the risk of unsupported hardware and instability, that results from the anarchy plus the fairly rapid development life-cycle of the distros. Good luck with the brand of linux you choose. :slight_smile:

OK. … Fun is good! :slight_smile: … When I read you wanted stability, I misunderstood. In comparison to Gnome and to KDE3, KDE4 stability is not there yet.

Interesting. I tried those also, … and while they were ok, they were missing way too many things that I came to love about openSUSE over the years. I would NEVER recommend those KDE3 implementations. Goes to show how 2 different users can look at the same desktops, and come up with completely different view points.

Thats interesting to read. … I think thats smart of Ubuntu to offer that.

I’ve never liked the Ubuntu KDE implementations in the past … and its been over a year since I last tried a Ubuntu release. … I wonder if they made any progress in learning how to implement an attractive (for users like me) KDE3 desktop. No matter, even if they did, I would not try it. I dislike Ubuntu for more philosophical reasons, and I don’t want to side track this thread by listing those.

And as noted, I have some friends who use Ubuntu and they are happy (with Gnome). [Even though they are strong Ubuntu fans, they like me, also dislike strongly the Ubuntu KDE implementations]

Dont need to tell me twice, but I find it strange that KDE 4.2 seems very stable on Kubuntu 8.10 compared to OpenSuse in my experience.
I heard KDE4 was good in OpenSuse, but it seems no better then Kubuntu in fact it seems worse in many ways.

Interesting. I tried those also, … and while they were ok, they were missing way too many things that I came to love about openSUSE over the years. I would NEVER recommend those KDE3 implementations. Goes to show how 2 different users can look at the same desktops, and come up with completely different view points.

Actually PClinux arguably the best KDE3 setup, Mepis a close second.
The reason I like PClinux is that it has compositing for flash but stability to boot.
I would use PCLinux more often but I am not that fond of its community.

I’ve never liked the Ubuntu KDE implementations in the past … and its been over a year since I last tried a Ubuntu release. … I wonder if they made any progress in learning how to implement an attractive (for users like me) KDE3 desktop. No matter, even if they did, I would not try it. I dislike Ubuntu for more philosophical reasons, and I don’t want to side track this thread by listing those.

Well to be honest I didnt like OpenSuse for a while as before 11.1 you have a very microsoft like EULA, thats the reason why I didnt try OpenSuse 11.0 in the first place.

kde 4.2.2 and 4.2.3 are ROCK stable here