I miss many posts, with this nntp hardware change.

Hi,

Threads content do not match between nntp and web, and I see no comment
on it (Re: NOTICE: Forums offline 2013.10.15).

Are those posts going to be restored?

I also see broken threads, in two parts (See 491245, boot-login, Re:
Unable to boot 12.3…)


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 22:48:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Threads content do not match between nntp and web, and I see no comment
> on it (Re: NOTICE: Forums offline 2013.10.15).
>
> Are those posts going to be restored?
>
> I also see broken threads, in two parts (See 491245, boot-login, Re:
> Unable to boot 12.3…)

This was expected - the web side was shut down yesterday for the
migration, but there were unexpected problems, and the decision was made
not to keep web users waiting while those issues were sorted out.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 2013-10-17 02:03, Jim Henderson wrote:

> This was expected - the web side was shut down yesterday for the
> migration, but there were unexpected problems, and the decision was made
> not to keep web users waiting while those issues were sorted out.

Yes, ok, expected by you… but somebody should have informed us, what
to expect. The outage thread has no info at all.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:08:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2013-10-17 02:03, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> This was expected - the web side was shut down yesterday for the
>> migration, but there were unexpected problems, and the decision was
>> made not to keep web users waiting while those issues were sorted out.
>
> Yes, ok, expected by you… but somebody should have informed us, what
> to expect. The outage thread has no info at all.

Sorry about that, things were a bit crazy last night and for my part, I
had unexpected paid work to do.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:31:16 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:08:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> On 2013-10-17 02:03, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> This was expected - the web side was shut down yesterday for the
>>> migration, but there were unexpected problems, and the decision was
>>> made not to keep web users waiting while those issues were sorted out.
>>
>> Yes, ok, expected by you… but somebody should have informed us, what
>> to expect. The outage thread has no info at all.
>
> Sorry about that, things were a bit crazy last night and for my part, I
> had unexpected paid work to do.
>
> We apologise for any inconvenience.

This is now corrected.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Jim Henderson wrote:

>> On 2013-10-17 02:03, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> This was expected - the web side was shut down yesterday for the
>>> migration, but there were unexpected problems, and the decision was
>>> made not to keep web users waiting while those issues were sorted out.
>>
>> Yes, ok, expected by you… but somebody should have informed us, what
>> to expect. The outage thread has no info at all.
>
> Sorry about that, things were a bit crazy last night and for my part, I
> had unexpected paid work to do.
>

Funny how reality keeps screwing up our plans… (man plans, God laughs)

I can’t understand the carping about minor glitches in a major upgrade like
this one. That mighty Xerox screwed up a routine backup test should remind
us to expect anything except total, seamless success. Kudos for your efforts

  • I’m pleased to be back this far so soon, myself

> We apologise for any inconvenience.
>

No need for that - thanks for your efforts.


Will Honea

Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:31:16 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:08:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>>> On 2013-10-17 02:03, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>>
>>>> This was expected - the web side was shut down yesterday for the
>>>> migration, but there were unexpected problems, and the decision was
>>>> made not to keep web users waiting while those issues were sorted out.
>>>
>>> Yes, ok, expected by you… but somebody should have informed us, what
>>> to expect. The outage thread has no info at all.
>>
>> Sorry about that, things were a bit crazy last night and for my part, I
>> had unexpected paid work to do.
>>
>> We apologise for any inconvenience.
>
> This is now corrected.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
I see that many threads breaking up and spawning new threads at nntp end :slight_smile:
Can you attend to this or inform the relevant authorities ?


GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

On 2013-10-17 02:32, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:31:16 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

>> Sorry about that, things were a bit crazy last night and for my part, I
>> had unexpected paid work to do.
>>
>> We apologise for any inconvenience.
>
> This is now corrected.

Thank you, this is most appreciated. :slight_smile:


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Somebody did inform us. On accessing the web side after the outage, I saw the banner explaining the extended outage for NNTP users.

On 2013-10-17 07:02, vazhavandan wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:

> I see that many threads breaking up and spawning new threads at nntp
> end :slight_smile:
> Can you attend to this or inform the relevant authorities ?

I think that a bunch of posts during the time nntp was out, and web in,
were lost. When posts started to flow again, the hooks were lost.

Based on past experience, I suppose that nothing can be done about them.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

On 2013-10-17 02:32, Jim Henderson wrote:

Just curious: why had the nntp hardware to be replaced? I thought it had
been replaced recently, on the previous outage.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

On 2013-10-17 12:26, consused wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2591677 Wrote:

>> Yes, ok, expected by you… but somebody should have informed us, what
>> to expect. The outage thread has no info at all.
> Somebody did inform us. On accessing the web side after the outage, I
> saw the banner explaining the extended outage for NNTP users.

Not on restoration, not that there were missing posts. This has been
corrected.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

But you/we belong to the “guinea pigs”, remember just like new tecnology released in the distro, and missing posts as for the previous major outage. By the next time, you will surely expect it. :wink:

If the “previous outage” is the one about which I am thinking then that
was moving the hardware into the DMZ from the internal network to decrease
the security posture of the systems. Public-facing systems should
typically be in the DMZ, and so far that had not been the case.


Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Probably, and threads were split and some were not recovered. A few threads is a very small price for progress, in both cases. :wink:

On 2013-10-17 14:36, consused wrote:
>
> ab;2591763 Wrote:
>> If the “previous outage” is the one about which I am thinking then that
>> was moving the hardware into the DMZ from the internal network to
>> decrease the security posture of the systems. Public-facing systems should
>> typically be in the DMZ, and so far that had not been the case.

Yes, I agree.

> Probably, and threads were split and some were not recovered. A few
> threads is a very small price for progress, in both cases. :wink:

True.

And better now than just after 13.1 release.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

On 2013-10-17 13:16, consused wrote:

> But you/we belong to the “guinea pigs”, remember just like new tecnology
> released in the distro, and missing posts as for the previous major
> outage. By the next time, you will surely expect it. :wink:

Yes, I expected it. But I prefer being told instead of finding out,
because in the second case I have to verify if it is just me, a fault on
my side, or it is a general issue; and in that case it is good to know
whether there is some expectation of recovery of lost posts, or not. Ie,
information :wink:

Knowing that there are lost posts I refrain from posting on some threads
where I don’t have the entire info, or look on the web side to find out
if it is really interesting.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

I guess we all prefer that, and are pleased when it happens that way. :slight_smile:

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 05:02:52 +0000, vazhavandan wrote:

> I see that many threads breaking up and spawning new threads at nntp
> end :slight_smile:
> Can you attend to this or inform the relevant authorities ?

This was expected as a result of the extended outage, and while ideally
we would resolve this, it’s not possible now because of the way the
gateway operates. Resyncing the few missing messages would require
another outage, and since most of the content here is ephemeral, it’s not
worth the time of another outage to resync everything.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:18:07 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2013-10-17 02:32, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>
> Just curious: why had the nntp hardware to be replaced? I thought it had
> been replaced recently, on the previous outage.

It had been, but with the more recent ‘hack’ outage, the equipment was
‘moved’ to the DMZ (as ab said) - but with rack-mounted equipment, a
physical move is more complex than just spinning up equipment already in
that part of the network.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C