I have screwed up my KDE

I have screwed up my KDE! to the point that I get either the dreaded black screen, or a simple green screen with the cairo-dock bot no bar. Compiz is working but so much else isn’t??

I was adjusting window decorations at the time.

I am trying to uninstall compiz, but it won’t let me always hanging at 5% done,

any trouble shooting tips??

and so close to getting it the way I wanted,:wink:

First thing to try is this.

Boot to a console login. You must have auto login disabled here. So here is how to do that from your situation:
Boot to Level 3, then Yast and More… - openSUSE Forums

In Yast follow the principles of this UI Guide
Disable Auto-Login - openSUSE Forums

Now at the login screen select console login - like this
http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pMNVsHQZB020Qidiw5joJiHHvmU4hjljeb4x5YM3PCQlPb9tMQOZy6RA4HRNG62no_VVM-jEdR0XgJRnHcktj8g/console.login.png

Login with username and password, then do this

mv .kde4 .kde4-backup

hit enter

now try typing:

startx

enter

report back

I reinstalled compiz after removing KDE, then reinstalled KDE and I have the same basic problems.

I keep getting an error:

Plasma workspace closed unexpectantly, perhaps this will help narrow it down.

Sorry I missed your previous post, but ironically found another with the same suggestion. …so …

while in Gnome (which works fine), I went to my home folder and
mv .kde4 .kde4-backup

though it left my .kde folder so I deleted it and startx wouldn’t work because iwas in an X session. I then logged out and back into KDE and now the problem is a little worse because the screen has gone from green to black though Cairo-dock is still working.

hmmmm

Is it any different if you do:

startkde

OK, so I tried startkde from within Gnome, and *** still gave me the plasma error, but at least I have my panel, though it is Gnome’s panel still. here is the terminal com[plaints. I hope that helps:

Application: Plasma Workspace (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
[KCrash Handler]
#5 0x00007f7dc68a6497 in Plasma::Wallpaper::setUsingRenderingCache(bool) () from /usr/lib64/libplasma.so.3
#6 0x00007f7dab3c4fa7 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/kde4/plasma_wallpaper_image.so
#7 0x00007f7dc68a632d in Plasma::Wallpaper::restore(KConfigGroup const&) () from /usr/lib64/libplasma.so.3
#8 0x00007f7dc67db4f3 in Plasma::Applet::paint(Q Painter*, QStyleOptionGraphicsItem const*, QWidget*) () from /usr/lib64/libplasma.so.3
#9 0x00007f7dcdb18cfa in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#10 0x00007f7dcdb2b6b4 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#11 0x00007f7dcdb2d9ed in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#12 0x00007f7dcdb2e322 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#13 0x00007f7dcdb2ea8c in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#14 0x00007f7dcdb4dd35 in QGraphicsView::paintEvent(Q PaintEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#15 0x00007f7dcd565b72 in QWidget::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#16 0x00007f7dcd909d76 in QFrame::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#17 0x00007f7dcdb490ab in QGraphicsView::viewportEvent(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#18 0x00007f7dce5c7207 in QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendThroughObjectEventFilters(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4
#19 0x00007f7dcd50fc6c in QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#20 0x00007f7dcd51627b in QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#21 0x00007f7dced10d0b in KApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libkdeui.so.5
#22 0x00007f7dce5c7dfc in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4
#23 0x00007f7dcd56e0bd in QWidgetPrivate::drawWidget(Q PaintDevice*, QRegion const&, QPoint const&, int, QPainter*, QWidgetBackingStore*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#24 0x00007f7dcd56ed58 in QWidgetPrivate::paintSiblingsRecursive(QPaintDevice*, QList<QObject*> const&, int, QRegion const&, QPoint const&, int, QPainter*, QWidgetBackingStore*) ()
from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#25 0x00007f7dcd56de1a in QWidgetPrivate::drawWidget(Q PaintDevice*, QRegion const&, QPoint const&, int, QPainter*, QWidgetBackingStore*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#26 0x00007f7dcd7259b5 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#27 0x00007f7dcd725d09 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#28 0x00007f7dcd58894a in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#29 0x00007f7dcd593feb in QApplication::x11ProcessEvent(_XEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#30 0x00007f7dcd5be1e2 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4
#31 0x00007f7dc8f44dde in g_main_context_dispatch () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#32 0x00007f7dc8f487a8 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#33 0x00007f7dc8f488d0 in g_main_context_iteration () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#34 0x00007f7dce5f1323 in

Boot to level 3 Yast like this
Boot to Level 3, then Yast and More… - openSUSE Forums

Go to System - /etc/sysconfig-editor
Desktop > Display Manager > Display manager > set to kdm4

Then
Window Manager > Default_WM > set to startkde

accept
quit

when back at the prompt type: reboot
hit enter

and after relogging in to KDE, it is still the same, as in not fixed,

arghhh

But gnome is still working.?

If you create a new user account and try kde with that, what happens?

OK so now I have booted into 3 level Yast, coool.

and made the changes you asked (alt plus highlighted letters allowed me to navigate), BUT

I am still with a black screen as before, no panels, and cant add one or do many of the basic things,
next suf=ggestion …I hope?

or should I do a reinstall?

and btw, the login screen is different (cool), and the blue screen while logging in is sweet (the blue one with white spheres - Do you know where I can find it for my desktop?)

OH and I will try your suggestion of:

(If you create a new user account and try kde with that, what happens? )

Thanks

OK now I have created a new login and when I logged in it was the same black BUT without even my cairo-dock, so totally useless.

I even tried from the kde-failsafe and the same problem.

and thanks for your responses and help.lol!

Boot gnome - hopefully that is OK

Open a terminal and post result of

zypper lr -d

Cool, here is the response. And I think we are heading in the right direction, because I am new to this cross repository problem, and am trying to get as much o from one repository as possible, and have been playing around with that. I f you can give a newbie some basic tips I would appreciate it.

—±------------------------------------±------------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | 11.2 - VideoLan | 11.2 - VideoLan | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.2/ |
2 | Gnome_Community | Gnome Community | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Community/openSUSE_11.2 |
3 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/vlc/SuSE/11.2/ |
4 | Nvidia | Nvidia | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.2/ |
5 | Packman | Packman | Yes | Yes | 90 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.2 |
6 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 90 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.2 |
7 | QT | QT | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.2 |
8 | Wine | Wine | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.2 |
9 | X11 : XGL | X11 : XGL | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_11.1_KDE4_Factory |
10 | devel:tools:building | devel:tools:building | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/devel:/tools:/building/openSUSE_11.1 |
11 | download.opensuse.org-2.28 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:STABLE:2.28 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:/2.28/openSUSE_11.2 |
12 | download.opensuse.org-Apps | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_11.2 |
13 | download.opensuse.org-database | openSUSE BuildService - Database | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/server:/database/openSUSE_11.2 |
14 | download.opensuse.org-games | openSUSE BuildService - Games | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/games/openSUSE_11.2 |
15 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.2 |
16 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss | Main Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
17 | download.opensuse.org-oss | Main Repository (OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
18 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Main Repository (Contrib) | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.2:/Contrib/standard |
19 | download.opensuse.org-update | Main Update Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2 |
20 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/x86_64 |
21 | home:AndreasSchwab:11.2 | home:AndreasSchwab:11.2 | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/AndreasSchwab:/11.2/11.2 |
22 | home: Death_Knight:ekiga-h264 | home: Death_Knight:ekiga-h264 | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/Death_Knight:/ekiga-h264/openSUSE_11.2 |
23 | home: ocefpaf | home:ocefpaf | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/ocefpaf/openSUSE_11.2 |
24 | http-download.opensuse.org-f35f0bfe | http-download.opensuse.org-f35f0bfe | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1 |
25 | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | No | No | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
26 | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | No | No | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
27 | openSUSE:11.1:Update | openSUSE:11.1:Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1 |
28 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | No | No | 99 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
29 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | No | No | 120 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
30 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | No | No | 120 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
31 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | No | No | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
32 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.2-Update | No | No | 120 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2

OMG
Delete them all, you have 11.1 stuff in there.

leave just the following for 11.2

OSS
Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss
NON-OSS
Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss
UPDATE
Index of /update/11.2
Packman
Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.2
nVidia
http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.2/

From a su terminal do this:

zypper ref
zypper dup

OK, this is good to know. I like a clean system, and I didn’t know I was making a dirty one. Thanks, at the very least I have learned something.

And all newcomers from ubuntu should be warned of this repository need of purity. Ubuntu’s package manager takes care of making sure everything is consistent, and with Suse I have the power (and have used it) to upgrade things and unwittingly make them inconsistent.

I see at the moment my compiz is downgrasding to 0.7.8. Isn’t there a way to upgrade it to 8.x.x without breaking the repository rules?

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

caf, you have been GREAT, It is working and better than ever I think, at least it looks great, and is even snappier.

Thanks you so much

SOLVED!!

You were lucky.
There is a warning on the front page before you login, New Users

NOTICE TO NEW FORUM USERS:

But you actually have to go where directed and read stuff

Well I hope that everything works well… and I couldn’t stop myself from updating my Compiz to 8.4 from the X11:XGL repo.

Afterwards I disabled the repo. Well now that leaves me a few questions, actually I downgrades to Compiz 7.x.x to see if that fixed anything.

1/ How can I change my font size through compiz.or KDE
(in KDE i went to Personal Settings> Look and Feel> Fonts, and that worked for many apps but not all. Firefox, Tomboy, Deluge, and Songbird, are still too small and hard to read.

2/ Why is my Auto-Hide Panel hesitating to open or simply doesn’t unless I change to a different desktop??

3/ get the cool tux pointer in KDE

4/ get avi files that require windows media player, to play

5/ create shortcuts that work in cairo-dock, (like personal settings)

6/ Safely upgrade Compiz to 8.x.x

Thanks ALL!

I confess you could be headed for disaster and I’m confused as to whether you are a Gnome user or KDE. I suspect you are using KDE with lots of Gnome stuff.
Though this comment “in KDE i went to Personal Settings> Look and Feel> Fonts” is a Gnome direction
For KDE it would be "System Settings > Appearance > Fonts

Anyway here:

1. My settings
    http://thumbnails26.imagebam.com/6468/8539a164670745.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/8539a164670745)

2. No idea. Probably related to X and effects.

3. Don’t know

4. That require WMP? Why require? Are they DRM?
    Follow it to the letter:
    Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

5. Don’t use it, never will. Fancy tasks in kde does the same as cario

6. Never use it
    But Ian is a master
    Installing and Configuring Compiz - openSUSE Forums

Thanks for the reply, and yes I am a new KDE user … giving it a serious try! now back to my problems and our solutions …

1/ How can I change my font size through compiz.or KDE,
I had simply needed to restart the programs for the effects to take place.

• related
    • I must not have the same menu as you, How would I get it? the dropdown menu seem very confusing and hard to navigate. I have both “App’n Launcher, and App’n Launcher Menu” from the add widget list.
    • I would love to see a simple path like yours . i.e.
      • "System Settings > Appearance > Fonts
        SOLVED!

2/ Why is my Auto-Hide Panel hesitating?

• still a hassle!!,
    -NOT SOLVED!

3/ How to Get the cool tux pointer in KDE?
-NOT SOLVED!, though not serious.

4/ How to get avi files that require windows media player, to play?

• I followed the guide which I already has, though after all my changes a few things needed reinstallation, but still NOT SOLVED!
  • it seems I need a Windows Media equivalent, for it’s specific format files, even though they are .avi files. My other avi files had, and are running fine.
    -NOT SOLVED!

5/ How to create shortcuts that work in cairo-dock?

• OK I am trying Fancy Tasks, and it looks promising, But it is huge and I can’t seem to find a way to resize other than the typical settings way and iy is wayyy to huge for me.
    -NOT SOLVED!

6/ How to Safely upgrade Compiz to 8.x.x?

• I Ok I followed the guide as I did before and it has not caused any problems, having required the X11:XGL repository. Should I keep it enabled or am asking for trouble?
    -PARTIALLY SOLVED!

THANX for anyone helping!!