I have a problem with switchable graphics laptop

On another thread, jdmcdaniel3 pointed out a post here: https://lists.launchpad.net/hybrid-graphics-linux/msg02095.html that claims the latest AMD driver (AMD driver version 12.1 - not to be confused with the openSUSE version 12.1) fixes problems of hybrid graphics on Laptops using AMD and Intel graphics. The AMD driver is shown here: AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Display Driver . He was not able to confirm this, but it is very interesting and good news and I think relevant to this thread for Hybrid Graphics owners with AMD (if it is true).

Special thanks to oldcpu for posting the information about the new driver release here in this thread, other wise i will let it be as it was. I tried the previous drivers, but with no luck.
Tried today 12.1(driver not openSUSE), and every thing is Cool… (1st time ever i used other cards than Intel [Hybrid ATI+Intel now]).
I can confirm, this driver works gr8.

Would like to share the process of installation here, might be useful for some one like me who struggled with it before.
Download the driver from here, save it any where one want, just remember the path, will use it in terminal for rpm/installation process. Open terminal, become root by su - , cd to your downloaded folder and type:

sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE-autodetection

Wait for a while, that will create an rpm.
Now install it:

zypper in fglrx64_xpic_SUSE121-8.930-1.x86_64.rpm

It will fetch the dependencies to install like kernel-* if not installed already.

Now if you have hybrid cards, and one is switched off. Turn both on: (Note: this is for if someone is using vgaswitcheroo for switching cards)

echo ON > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

Now type in terminal:

aticonfig --initial

And you are done, type reboot in terminal to reboot your system.
You can find AMD Catalyst Control Center in the kickoff menu, and can switch your cards the easy from there.
There may be many ways to install it, and it will be your call to do so. Useful link:
SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE

http://thumbnails59.imagebam.com/17409/f57749174089162.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/f57749174089162)

@mmarif4u
i think i have a similar problem, i have a Sony Vaio Notebook with two graphic ships, Intel and AMD.

I tried to install the new 12.1 driver you mentioned by adding the repository and then selecting and installing the driver with YAST (opensuse 12.1).
In my case the pc cannot start KDE anymore after a restart.

Do you think that i can reinstall the whole OS and then installing the AMD driver the way you posted and then have no problems anymore?

And what is with the Intel driver, you just described a way installing the AMD driver, does this mean you only can use the default driver for the intel chip or do you installed the intel driver before?

Hi sabo,
Sorry for the late reply.
I too have Sony Vaio Notebook VPCCA35F.

I have just checked the driver site, and new driver 12.2 is available, i guess you tried that. Try with 12.1 and see if that can help and vice versa. Try to follow the exact steps*.

It was the same for me with older drivers, that KDE won’t start till i tried 12.1.
Reinstalling the OS will not help i guess.

Intel is part of the switchable graphic driver. After installing this driver both cards will use the same driver not the default installed one when you install OS 1st time.
You can switch it this way after successful installation[reboot needed]:

Free Image Hosting at FreeImageHosting.net - Upload & Share Images on Social Networks, Blogs, and Galleries](http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t7wqt)*

Yesterday i changed setting on my Vostro 3550 with hybrid graphics (intel+amd) (Opensuse 12.1).
Before this i used only intel HD 3000. All was good.

I got the source package for the xorg-x11-driver-video package, got the intel-driver-2.18, changed spec file for sna and rebuild package.
Next, i got amd 12.2 the proprietary driver, made the rpm package and install.

Wau !!! Now i use only the AMD HD6600 card. Intel disabled. Full Power!!!

All very cool!

But after this i got change order load drivers and a few bugs systemd.
Squares instead of russian letters when booted with systemd

This problem partially have concerning to post with systemd-vconsole-setup.service. He do not work with fglx. Hovewer …

I changed his code as next …

After=sysinit.target
Before=shutdown.target
ExecStart=/bin/setfont /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/Cyr_a8x14.psfu.gz

Success!!!

I do not can find any a mans or a docs about this one
Anybody can me help with vconsole without hack?

Hi :slight_smile:
it’s 2015 now and some people wants now to get rid of the discrete chip: less power is the new black! :slight_smile:
Please have a look here:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/511373

mount: can’t find debugfs in /etc/fstab
cat: /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory

Muxless setup here too: Intel HD5500 + Radeon

also tried (as root) the following commands:

modprobe amdgpu
echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

but I get the following:
bash: /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory

The amdgpu driver was suggested by yast through the hardware module

Thanks for any suggestion

Might be best if you started a new post. People are more likely to help if they see a more recent post.