I cannot create a live USB stick in any way

Hi all!

I have been trying to create an openSUSE 12.3 live USB stick but it seems that everything is against me (or maybe I’m just a noob :D)

First of all I tried with UNetbootin and the boot screen just had a “Default” option that made nothing.

Later I found this guide and followed the Windows steps, since I was using Windows 7.
I downloaded ImageWriter, ran it as an administrator, selected the image file (which passed the checksum test) and pressed “Copy”. It made nothing. I pressed it again and then an error message popped out “Cannot access the USB stick, are you sure you’re running the program as an administrator?”. “…Yeah, I’m sure”. Tried a few more times, plugged and unplugged the USB, even restarted the computer and the same thing happened.
“Okay, Windows officially hates me now, let’s try to make this work in Xubuntu” - I thought, since I had a live USB with it.

So here I am, trying to make this work in Xubuntu.
I followed the steps for Linux in the previous guide but I don’t have anything named YaST and I cannot install “imagewriter” in the Software Center because it says that “There isn’t a software package called “usb-imagewriter” in your current software sources.”
I’m starting with Linux, so I have no clue what to do now.

Any idea? Thanks in advance :wink:

P.S.: The USB is fine, I successfully mounted other live CD images on it.

Imagewriter should just work under Windows, at least it does for me in Windows XP.
Maybe try to right-click on it’s icon and choose “Run as Administrator”? (Windows 7 likes to constrain you, even if you are Administrator)

Or under Ubuntu or any other linux, just use “dd” to write the image to the USB-stick:

sudo dd if=*image_filename* of=/dev/sdX

where sdX id the device name of your USB-stick, you can check this by connecting it and calling “dmesg”…

Thank you for your response, but I still couldn’t get it work :
I even tried on a Windows XP, and nothing.
Maybe the USB stick really does have a problem, despite it being able to boot other distros…?
I don’t know, it’s strange.

Strange, I never had any trouble with ImageWriter.

Maybe this one would work for you: Tools for OSForensics - ImageUSB - Write an image to multiple USB Flash Drives ?
I already used that one as well successfully…

On 05/21/2013 09:16 PM, kikones34 wrote:
> “Cannot access the USB stick, are you sure you’re running the
> program as an administrator?”

some USB sticks have a little switch to make it read only…does yours?

does the USB stick use a file system which Windows can write to? (“it
being able to boot other distros” could mean it has a Linux file
system–which windows won’t touch)

dd

Sure it doesn’t have such a switch. And I formatted it in FAT32 every time before I tried to do anything :wink:

That one worked flawlessly, many thanks!

(Anyway, I still don’t understand why ImageWriter wouldn’t work for me, tried it in three different computers and two USB sticks… Kind of a curse o.o?)

P.S.: And the curse continues after booting openSUSE: I cannot connect to any wireless network because “NetworkManagement service is not running”. Well, I guess I’ll have to figure that out… (openSUSE doesn’t love me :'()

You don’t have to format it if you only want to copy an iso-image to it.

P.S.: And the curse continues after booting openSUSE: I cannot connect to any wireless network because “NetworkManagement service is not running”. Well, I guess I’ll have to figure that out… (openSUSE doesn’t love me :'()

I guess that’s this bug: openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes
Of course rebooting only helps if you have installed openSUSE to your harddisk.
If you have this problem in the LIVE system, try to open YaST->Network Devices->Network Settings and switch between “User Controlled with NetworkManager” and “Traditional Method with ifup”. If it doesn’t work the first time, try it a few times, not sure if that helps though…

If that doesn’t help, you could also try to start NetworkManger manually either with “sudo systemctl start NetworkManager.service” or just by running “sudo NetworkManager”.

On 2013-05-24 18:56, wolfi323 wrote:
> Strange, I never had any trouble with ImageWriter.

Other people have reported having problems with it, in recent versions.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Sorry for the late reply, the command worked :D!
Thank you for all your support, I’ll install openSUSE soon :slight_smile: