Hydrogen song editor fails when trying to move bar/patterns

Hi,
I’m using Hydrogen (0.9.6-11.17) and when I try to drag a previously selected block of bars or patterns something gets wrong and lot of bars get deleted. I could provide screen shots if that helps to explain better the problem.
Thank you very much in advance,
Luis Pablo

Hello, you could try to elaborate a bit further what the problem is exactly, it was a bit unclear to me. Also provide screen-shots if you wish.

I have used Hydrogen for many years but usually as a drum-machine connected to a midi-sequencer, mostly Rosegarden. I’m not too experienced with making pattern/sample sequences with Hydrogen, but I have done that also.

Thank you for your reply. In this picture you can see the selected bars (darker blue) since bar 4.
http://www.laoreja.net/img/Hydrogen1.png

In this picture you can see how it looks after trying to move the selected bars 1 bar to the right.
http://www.laoreja.net/img/Hydrogen2.png

I hope this help you to understand better what I’m talking about.

What you do is try to move a pattern segment, right? So you select the select-mode and mark the bars you wish to move and drag them to somewhere on the time-line, if I understood correctly. Could it be that the bars which are lost might originally be copies of the once still there, on the same line I mean? I just tried it with a demo pattern, which I opened just for this test, and I did not lose any bars when moving it around.

Of course, it isn’t the behaviour one might expect in any case(?), whether it is copies (loops) or not. Just a suggestion of what might cause the deletion of those bars.

Thank you very much for your time. You understood right, that’s what I did. It seems the lost bars are the ones which new position was used in the previous position. Which version of Hydrogen are you using? Are you using Tumbleweed or 12.3? Thank you again.

Hi, no I’m still using OS 12.2, Hydrogen version is 0.9.6-7.1.3 (from -oss).

Why are you using such an old version of OS? Do you use OS for professional multimedia production? Do you consider I should downgrade to an older version/build of Hydrogen?
Thank you again for your time.

It’s not that old, is it?:slight_smile:
I have thought about upgrading but the system works fine so I’m in no rush.

Do you consider I should downgrade to an older version/build of Hydrogen?

I can’t really say. I would expect that Hydrogen should work much the same on OS 12.3 (or Tumbleweed) as it does on 12.2, but I wouldn’t know. I’m not sure that the cause for the problem is related to the Hydrogen version either, it might perhaps just be a flaw/insufficiency in Hydrogen as it is?

Do you use OS for professional multimedia production?

I use the computer for making music but I can’t consider myself a professional. I was more active as musician earlier and I also have a couple of courses in basic sound-engineering, but that is back when the use of physical equipment such as A-DAT, effect boxes and mixing-tables etc. was more common. I’m an autodidact when it comes to Linux and multimedia production and I have limited knowledge, but it is fun!

You might have better luck on this forum if you can’t manage to sort out the Hydrogen issues : LinuxMusicians • Index page

Some useful links:
start [LinuxMusicians Wiki]
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/SuSE-DAW%20v2.pdf

I can’t really say. I would expect that Hydrogen should work much the same on OS 12.3 (or Tumbleweed) as it does on 12.2, but I wouldn’t know. I’m not sure that the cause for the problem is related to the Hydrogen version either, it might perhaps just be a flaw/insufficiency in Hydrogen as it is?

That is if the ‘hypothesis’ with the copy/loop issue has any relevance of course.

Thank you very much for the links! That’s what I was looking for. I’ll try to find more information about this issue in more specific forums.

You are welcome, and good luck:)

Cheers,
Olav

AFAICS hydrogen 0.9.6 is still beta. And the openSUSE package even seems to contain the first beta from 20 months ago.
Maybe that is the problem?

You could try the older (but stable) KDE3 version from here:
software.opensuse.org:

Perhaps that one works better for you…

0.9.6 works fine on OS 12.2, it has a different distro/packer(?) version than the one lpgasparotto uses though: 0.9.6-7.1.3 on 12.2, 0.9.6-11.17 on Tumbleweed(?).

I asked to the developer in the Hydrogen forum and he told me this bug was solved a long time ago but it seems Tumbleweed repositories still have that buggy version.

I will try to build the latest version for openSUSE…

New packages with the latest version are now available here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/multimedia:/apps/

Please test!:wink:

I installed this build and now Hydrogen works as expected. Thank you very much.