Huuge Problems...

Hi guys…

Bleh, first post and it’s a plea for help…

About 6 months ago I decided I actually do hate MS and that I would stop writting any form of program for their users…And moved to Linux…

After trying a few I gave Kubuntu a try and enjoyed it…Until I thought it was time to get back into coding…I only know how to code in Delphi…And when I installed Lazarus it will just not work…

My problem comes in when I tried changing to openSUSE…I get the boot splash, hit install and the pc hangs…everytime…

I thought maybe it was just OpenSUSE, so I tried the next OS, NETBSD, same result.

Eventually, after trying to boot 7 different distros, I’ve given up…Kubuntu doesn’t want me to install any other OS…

I’m booting off the LiveCD, burnt at 4x on Kubuntu
On an x86 AMD Dual Core platform with Nvidia graphics…1.5MB of RAM and 1 160GB HDD for the OS…

Can someone help? I heard that Lazarus is stable on OpenSUSE and right now and I need it bad…Not for work…but more for the need to code…Unless someone can tell me where I can D\L Kylix…

Got big ideas for apps for Linux…and I feel I may just be a valueable assest to an OS now that I want to code again…

Thanks in advance…

And of course, The MD5Sum is correct

Did you try the media check on the Live CD? What was the result?

Did you try the “safe settings” boot?

Thanks, but if there is a mother board, or graphic card, or hard drive specific hiccup, you need to be more specific. ie:

• precisely what motherboard?
  • precisely what graphic card?
  • precisely what hard drive? a SATA? and if a SATA, what controller chipset on the motherboard?

And putting my volunteer technical support hat away for a second, and my volunteer moderator hat on for a second, PLEASE a final request, … use a more descriptive Title next time. A title “Huuge problems” is too general. Every one has problems. Many of us believe our problems are Huge. Why not a Title like: “openSUSE-11.0 KDE Live CD install fails”

Sorry about the title…I like using weird titles…If I could show you some of the comments I got after an exam about my variable names you’d be telling your grandkids about it.

I didn’t go into hardware that much because I think that if it is a hardwar issue, why does Kubuntu still boot, and why won’t any other OS boot…

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 3600+
SATA HDD
My MB seems to be a Gigabyte unknown device

Graphics is a Geforce 7600 256MB

> I get the boot
> splash, hit install and the pc hangs…everytime…

instead of hitting ‘install’ hit check media (or media check)…if it
checks ok THEN i’ll put my thinking cap on…

and, btw i reckon that live CD is of SuSE 11.0 with KDE4, right?
if so, you are gonna be REAL disapointed with KDE…

and, most folks here recommend installing from the DVD…
do a little reading and save yourself a LOT of time:

http://tinyurl.com/5hkyeh
http://tinyurl.com/66h4rw
http://tinyurl.com/3vwrzl
http://tinyurl.com/6mu7rm

welcome!

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
A Texan in Denmark

I’ve just read that you guys don’t normally help live install guys like me, but I live in the RSA…The highest transfer rate I get is 30kbs…So a live install helps me get the os going a bit faster…

I’ve tried another 3 times since I posted this thread and it keeps on hanging,Tried the failsafe as well…

I would really appreciate help…My roommate uses windows and keeps slamming Linux so you have no idea what I’ve had to live with for the last few days…

Hi Denver

Yeah, that’s the version I’ve got…After seeing how unstable KDE4 was on Kubuntu I have my doubts, but willing to give it a try…Not really looking for any fancy graphics…Just something that looks good…

I’ll give the check media a try now, will post once done…

As for the DVD please read my above post…

mediacheck hangs…Guess I’m downloading the DVD?

Does LAzarus work on openSUSE?

And does anyone know where I can find Kylix?

Hopefully my last make-me-look-like-a-newb questions…

Only another 7 Days and 2hrs til I have the DVD…Best start making some coffee :smiley:

In the meantime, if anyone knows what’s going on and why I can’t install any OS but Kubuntu I’d like to hear it…

Guess I’m using the laptop with XP Home on it til then:(

I hope you can do better than that … that simply doesn’t help.

Let me explain. Do you have Linux hardware drivers from your manufacturer for your SATA HDD? No? ok.

Do you have Linux hardware drivers from your manufacture for your motherboard? No? ok …

But you know, not so long back my wife and I installed winXP on a PC. We had to download hardware drivers for the motherboard, and the hard drive chipset. … Guess what? We could not do the download for winXP until we figured out the exact motherboard details, and the exact SATA chipset details.

So when it comes to hardware, especially hardware which is a bit more difficult, one also needs to know these details for Linux, JUST LIKE one does for winXP.

Now its possible Ubuntu have put something special in place for your hardware. But until we know the details of your hardware, then its impossible to tell.

Does Kubuntu have dmidecode? If so, run dmidecode in kubuntu and paste the output to general pastebin - simplified internet collaboration and post the URL of the pastebin site here. Dmidecode will give some of the information we need.

Pastebin loads a blank page. Could I paste the raw output here?

Pasebin is supposed to load a blank page.

The way I would recommend a Ubnutu do this (where in Ubuntu sudo is very popular) is:

sudo dmidecode > dmidecode.txt

Then open dmidecode.txt with kate or kwrite text editor, and copy and paste it to general pastebin - simplified internet collaboration. Then submit it. That will give you a URL.

I just checked pastebin.ca and it is working fine.

@Oldcpu: Wow…dmidecode is impressive…thanks for that!]

My guess is that your problem with LiveCD is SATA-related. Here’s
a somewhat similar thread:
SUSE and VIA 8251 - TJR Forum
[The part about Windows isn’t quite correct…you just need Windows-SATA
drivers on a floppy during a Win-XP install.]

[There’s some sort of ‘generic-ide’ boot param workaround for SATA for some machines/bioses, but I don’t know enough specific details to be more helpful…try
some more googling or chat with tech-support for your mobo-manufacturer.]

According to wikipedia:
Lazarus (software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kylix is obsolete.

What I am not understanding is that before I put Ubuntu on I was able to change OSs…Now the only thing that will work is Ubuntu and Windows…

So far I’ve tried to put Debian, Gentoo, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenSUSE…Then I tried Windows and that works…

I’ve just realised something…This all started when I powered up an AOpen DVD drive…I’m going to pt my LG back in and give it a go…

@oldcpu - Maybe it’s because I use Konqueror, but I cant do anything in pastebin…

I’ve never been this close to giving up on something before…I’m seriously considering going back to Windows and just using Delphi…

I would appreciate any further suggestions…

I recommend you do what you have to do. If Windows works, then use it. Honestly. No sarcasm, no offence, just common sense.

Most of my friends use MS-Windows. Some use MacIntosh. They are all very happy with their OS of choice. I’m happy for them, and I enjoy their stories about software they like, even IF I don’t use it. IMHO if MS-Windows works for you, then stick with it.

Please, do not be offended, but reading your posts, I don’t think Linux is the OS for you. I asked for your hardware details, and you can’t give it. In Linux one NEEDS to know their hardware details, because most manufacturers refuse to support Linux. Hence one has to get the openSource driver that has been hacked by Linux enthusiasts. But one needs to know their hardware details to get the right driver. One can even find out hardware details from MS-Windows, but you can’t for some reason. You can’t provide that detail. It truly IS a show stopper for you.

In many cases with new hardware and new WinXP/Vista installs, even with new Window installs (as I noted above) requires users to go to manufacturer’s web sites, to get drivers to make their PCs functional. One needs to know their hardware specifics to do this.

Most MS-Windows users, who buy a PC with MS-Windows installed, don’t have to worry about this. That is until the first time they have to do a re-install, at which time it is a different story. The same is now becoming true for Ubuntu users, who purchase a PC with Ubuntu installed. Everything is rosey, until the first time they decide to re-install ubuntu.

Now you say you can’t install an OS other than Windows and Ubuntu. I don’t believe for a second that is a real blocking limitation for someone who understands Linux. But I do appreciate this is blocking you because you have not had to delve into this technical level of detail before. Many users do NOT want to delve into such detail, and I fully understand their view.

But that sort of delving is very common for Linux (again because of lack of manufacture support). And if that appears user unfriendly and if it is a characteristic that you can’t live with, then I also fully understand. It irritates many users, and hence Linux is not for them.

Reference general pastebin - simplified internet collaboration I checked the site again. It works. Now its not the only paste site, and if you search google you can find reference to many others.

Good luck with your efforts, but until you can provide more details as to your hardware specifics, then I don’t think anyone can provide you much help.

PasteSite.Com - “Untitled” [Plain Text]

Old, I’m not trying to argue with you because I really do appreciate your help. But I don’t understand how it can be a hardware problem if I was able to put other Linux OSes on before Ubuntu…I don’t know, maybe something has gone wrong…I’ve checked all the cables and they all seem to be in place…

I am not someone to give up, that’s why I moved to Linux in the first place. I love just sitting and reading something over and over again until I understand it…I taught myself html this way…

I know that there are a bunch of development apps on Linux, but I only know Delphi and don’t have the time to learn another language…And I believe Lazarus is the only option I have…

I’m sorry if I annoyed you…I’m not too interested on the hardware side of a pc, so I don’t really know what anything is…As long as it’s powerful enough to do what I need it to I’m happy…

If there is anything else I can do to make helping me easier for you, please let me know…

I think I am not explaining myself well.

I’m not saying you have a hardware problem. What I am saying is we need to know EXACTLY what hardware you have in order to help you.

Now, I note your motherboard is a Gigabyte Tech M61 PM-S2. (socket M2). Your BIOS version is F2.

From this I note a couple of things. … First your BIOS is OLD and there have been a lot of updates to your BIOS. For example these two links wrt:

Going to the openSUSE Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) I note that the M61 PM-SE2 (possibly not the same main board) has no reports as having had a successful install openSUSE-11.0 (but it is reported as working with 10.3):
HCL/Main Boards - openSUSE

According to this site:
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-M61PM-S2 (rev. 2.0)

Your PC has a NVIDIA® GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 onboard graphic.

It has a caveat on the bottom of that page that states: “*Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors’ website or 3rd party website. *”

That page also notes your Main Board has 4 SATA 3Gb/s connectors (with no further information provided). Although I think it may have an MCP61 SATA Controller based on this site which lists your motherboard with the MCP61 SATA Controller: Hardware for Linux - Giga-byte Technology (by nVidia) / MCP61 SATA Controller

I think you need to research to see if there are any compatibility problems reported with openSUSE Linux and the MCP61 SATA controller (I don’t recall reading any).

Also, on what PC did you burn the CD? Did you burn it on a new DVD-media (of a high quality, not some bargain basement special) at the absolute slowest speed your burner would allow?