HP printer is episodically becoming disabled. OpenSuSE 12.1 64B

The HP Officejet 6700 becomes disabled for no apparent reason. While its simple enough to resolve the issue (Yast → Printer → select → enable ), it is a waste of time.
Any ideas on why the printer is becoming disabled? Note, it is connected to the desktop via USB.

On Sat 15 Mar 2014 10:06:01 PM CDT, Parthenolide wrote:

The HP Officejet 6700 becomes disabled for no apparent reason. While its
simple enough to resolve the issue (Yast –> Printer –> select –>
enable ), it is a waste of time.
Any ideas on why the printer is becoming disabled? Note, it is connected
to the desktop via USB.

Hi
Maybe the usb port is going into power save mode? What is the computer
hardware it’s connected to?

Check you system BIOS as well for any sleep or WoL settings for usb.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I have a long thread (I don’t know how to copy a thread to this post but it was in Wireless - Printer doesn’t survive reboot) that shows a similar problem with an HP 6700. I don’t know why the problem resolved, but I tried many things to keep the connection alive through a reboot. I run a research program called BOINC that was also failing on me. One suggested solution was to edit a file that I needed to be root to open. Trying to start kwrite from a terminal as root gave me an error that said I should try to lauch dbus with some command I just copied and pasted. I did and edited the BOINC file. However, having followed the command to launch dbus via root terminal gave me a permanent connection to the HP printer. I don’t pretend to know why this worked.

I also enabled the printer everywhere there was a place to do so: yast, desktop configure-printers, cups and the HP Device Manager. However, none of these worked until that launch dbus command. Oddly, I used nmap and zenmap to try to sort things out. Neither could see the printer until I used the -Pn switch. But, I go though all the details in that long thread.