HP Power Management and Display issues

Hi,

I’ve recently installed openSUSE 12.3 KDE on my laptop, and it has a couple of issues that I can’t seem to get sorted out. I tried searching for solutions on my own and managed to mangle things pretty badly, so I did a re-install, and here I am. Here are the specs for my hardware:

HP Envy 6t
CPU: Intel i5-3317U
Graphics: Intel HD 4000 and AMD Radeon HD 7670M

Sorry, I don’t know what other information might be helpful. If you need to know anything just ask.

I’m having two issues.

1.) The OS doesn’t seem to know when the power cord is plugged in. It says it’s charging no matter what, and I can’t adjust the brightness of the screen using function keys or the battery monitor. However, once it goes to sleep and wakes back up, I can adjust the brightness using the function keys, and the battery indicator does tell me it’s discharging when I unplug it.

2.) When I plug the laptop into my TV through the HDMI output, the only way it works is for the two displays to be overlayed on one another. If I try to extend them, both displays flicker very badly whenever I move the mouse, and the displays are aligned funny. The built in display gets pushed partially over to the TV, and the TV display gets pushed a bit off the edge of the TV. Also, the mouse seems to click a few inches to the right of wherever it appears to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really like openSUSE, but I just about tore my hair out yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong.

I have worked with HP and AMD issue a lot over the past five years.

The simplest solution has been to install the Proprietary driver, This takes care of power management issue
and display issues, it has been the reliable way to fix this kind of issue.

The trouble is the proprietary driver can be fun to install and you need to get the right version or things will get even more interesting.

This option doesn’t see to be working for 12.3 yet, but if you look other will have posted which version of the driver to install and how to install it.

Luckily some one has created an easy way to overcome this issue “atiupgrade”.

It upgrades you to the ATI driver and what is even better it picks the right version for you.