HP OfficeJet 6110 Scanner not working

I have a HP Office-Jet 6110 All-In-One for about 5 years now and I havve been using it on Suse and openSuse without a problem all these years. This morning I wanted to scan something and suddenly realised that the scanner is not working. I can print but not scan. i tried to set up the scanner using YaST like I have done for the past 5 years but it#s not working. Hpaio shows that no scanner is available for this driver. I can#t install the scanner.
What has changed in 11.2 that devices that worked before are not working anymore?
Can someone help me please?

I found 11.2 very good in recognizing a scanner.

Since this is an HP, have you installed hplip for openSUSE-11.2? Version 3.9.8 is in the OSS repository: Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss/suse

My recommendation is users always confine their software repositories to OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman, to avoid installing applications that can break various basic functionalities, and only use other repositories on a limited as required basis, removing any additional software repositories after the additional applications are installed.

HPlip is installed and the printer is working perfectly (it’s a All-In-One) printer, fax and scanner) but the scanner not. I tried to configure and use the hpaio drive for scanner but yast is telling me that no scanner is available for this driver, even thoug the scanner or better said the device is detectd. like I said, I have been using this device for five years on Suse and openSuse without a problem.

Could it be that it#s bcause I di an upgrade and not a clean install?
I could do a clean install but I am afraid that my Digittrade DVB-T reciever won’t work. I had a hell of a time installing the driver on 11.1.

Its possible, but before we jump to conclusions, can you provide some more information?

What is the output of:

zypper lr -d
rpm -qa '*hplip*'

Can the scanner be seen with root permissions? Possibly a permissions problem? What happens if you add your user to group “lp” and then restart?

Its possible an entry is needed to a “hal” ?? config file (I’m not sure of exact file off top of my head).

These are the installed repos:

| Alias | Name | Aktiviert | Aktualisieren | Priorität | Typ | URI | Dienst

—±---------------------------------±-----------------------------------------------------±----------±--------------±----------±-------±--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±------
1 | KDE4:/Playground/openSUSE_11.2 | KDE4:/Playground/openSUSE_11.2 | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Playground/openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43 |
2 | KDE:/43/openSUSE_11.2 | KDE:/43/openSUSE_11.2 | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/43/openSUSE_11.2 |
3 | KDE_3.5 | KDE 3.5 | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.2 |
4 | download.opensuse.org-2.28 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:STABLE:2.28 | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:/2.28/openSUSE_11.2 |
5 | download.opensuse.org-Apps | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Anwendungen | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_11.2 |
6 | download.opensuse.org-Backports | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Backports | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Backports/openSUSE_11.2 |
7 | download.opensuse.org-Community | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:KDE4:Community | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.2 |
8 | download.opensuse.org-STABLE | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.2 |
9 | download.opensuse.org-VirtualBox | openSUSE BuildService - Virtualisierung (VirtualBox) | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox/openSUSE_11.2 |
10 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.2 |
11 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Main Repository (Contrib) | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.2:/Contrib/standard |
12 | ftp.skynet.be-suse | Packman Repository | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.2 |
13 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Ja | Nein | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
14 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | Nein | Ja | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
15 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Ja | Ja | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
16 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Ja | Ja | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
17 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | Nein | Ja | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
18 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.2-Update | Ja | Ja | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2

HPlip output:
hplip-hpcups-3.9.8-15.pm.27.6.x86_64
hplip-3.9.8-3.4.1.x86_64

The scanner is shown as not configured in YaST but doesn’t allow me to use the suggested driver.If I start the HP device manager from the startmenu then I get this message: “No HP all-in-one device found (those devices require a special setup).”
I can use the printer part of the device as the installed driver allows that but not the scanner.

It#s now working.
My solution: I uninstalled the driver using the Software Management after which I went to hardware - Scanner and reconfigured the scanner. It started to re-install the driver but then showed a conflict with libkdenetwor1. I resloved the conflict by uninstalling the package and all went well.
I started the HP-Toolbox later and added the device. Now everything is working including network printing and scanning.

I guess you are right about having so many repos but I need them :wink:

Congratulations on sorting this and glad to read its working.

My view is no one needs that many repos, but ultimately its each to their own, and as long as one can sort the problems that come from too many repos, then the impact should not be too bad (other than cost time to identify and sort problems from that come from too many repos). But I have read of many users who have ranted about broken package management in openSUSE and left in a huff , … all because of their own adding too many repos and their inability to identify it as the cause of their instability problems.

Anyway, glad to read its working now.

I have to agree. I will try to do better in the future but the temptation is great as you know.

I need scanner driver for HP Officejet 6110.

Thanx