HP LaserJet P1006 Problems

I know others have talked about this printer, but I haven’t seen any workable solution. I guess I need one syllable eplainations, but I just can’t make it work.

I ran the diagnostics program, and it said I need to enable the queue. Unfortunately, the path that they recommended, “System-Admin-Printers,” isn’t the way my (gnome) desktop is set up, though I did find a screen that allowed me to enable the printer.

Unfortunately, clicking on that “enable” box didn’t make the printer work.

The driver is installed; the printer is recognized; it is now “enabled,” but it still won’t print.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thank you very much,
SteveB>:(

Have you tried CUPS

CUPS - Explained - openSUSE Forums

I don’t know if I can help, but I do use this printer in Gnome in 11.1.

It’s been a little while since I installed it, but I remember doing “hp-check” many times and trying to fix all the errors. I recall that there was a little bit of an issue with the proper driver. Right now I am using “HP LaserJet p1006, hpcups 3.9.8.36”. I can’t recall whether I ended up installing with the hp installation program or through YaST, but I think it may have been YaST–I know I tried both multiple times.

Good luck. I remember that it was frustrating, but once I got it set up this has worked pretty well for me.

The simple solution is here:
foo2xqx: a linux printer driver for XQX stream protocol

Compile, install and set up the printer in Yast with the new driver. Simple and working :slight_smile: