HP dv7 webcam quit working

Running Opensuse 11.2

Linux linux-sfke 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-03-16 21:25:39 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 064e:c107 Suyin Corp.

I have a new hp dv7 laptop, with the “hp webcam” installed. I was trying to get it to work in cheese for a long time, then realized it was working but wouldn’t with cheese. Only problem was that the video stream was upside down.

I tried several different fixes to vertically flip the video stream, but nothing was working so I tried installing a modified driver I found, bad choice… now the Webcam has disappeared. cheese still doesn’t work but now it says no webcam found, and luvcview doesn’t work either. So I went from upside down to not at all, kinda a step backwards.

I want to be able to undo what I did with the “fix”, but am unexpereienced in linux. is there a way to set back to default?

fixing and flipping would be nice, but I’d settle for upside down right now.

thanks for any help

If it worked right after openSUSE installation, my guess will be to reinstall the kernel. Please repost when you able to make it work after reinstalling the kernel and will try to find-out if we can make it work with cheese.

Ha, makes sense that I should reinstall the kernel. and it worked. To make things even better, the Video feed is actually correct now… strange… was upside down, now is right side up. I won’t complain.

However, issue 3 is still there, no cheese :frowning: and with luvcview I have to add the tag -f and set the video type to yuv “luvcview -f yuv” will display the video when without the flag I get :

> luvcview
luvcview version 0.2.1
Video driver: x11
A window manager is available
video /dev/video0
Unable to set format: 22.
Init v4L2 failed !! exit fatal

Skype has no problems accessing the camera though. Any suggestions?

Open a terminal and copy and paste this,

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so cheese

Please repost again if it work or not and we will supply some pointers if I know what’s missing.

I tried it as root( i assume that was what you were thinking) and it gave me this error

ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

** (cheese:4625): WARNING **: Unable to connect to dbus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (cheese:4625): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_connection_register_g_object: assertion `connection != NULL’ failed

** (cheese:4625): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name: assertion `connection != NULL’ failed

** (cheese:4625): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_call: assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)’ failed

if I try it without root, it repeats the first error 2 times then opens cheese and it still doesn’t work

in cheese my screen is divided into many colored bars with a tv static square in the upper right corner.

problem finally solved.

I tried updating my v4l drivers because I couldn’t get the v4L2 setting in gstreamer-properties. but that didn’t do any good, so I updated my gstreamer plugins and voila… fixed

cheese now works

problem was that gstreamer wasn’t loading the v4l2 plugins so it wouldn’t allow that option for video, now that I have updated my gstreamer plugins, the option is now available and functional to boot.

thanks for your help