HP DeskJet D3050 All-In-One and OpenSUSE 11.3?

I’m looking for a cheap all-in-one inkjet device and found a good deal on HP DeskJet D3050 (J610a). Does anyone have this, use it with OpenSUSE 11.3 and can confirm 100% compatibility?

Before buying it I’d like to be sure that everything (fine printing, scanning) will work fine on my 64 bit OpenSUSE 11.3 system. Unfortunately hplipopensource.com is down for several weeks now and google returns lots of complaints about 3050 not working properly or at all under different Linux distros.

I’m looking for reply from those who have personal experience with this printer, theoretical comments and guesses (“it should work”, “hp have good support”, etc) don’t interest me.

I’m looking for a cheap all-in-one inkjet device and found a good deal on HP DeskJet D3050 (J610a). Does anyone have this, use it with OpenSUSE 11.3 and can confirm 100% compatibility?

Before buying it I’d like to be sure that everything (fine printing, scanning) will work fine on my 64 bit OpenSUSE 11.3 system. Unfortunately hplipopensource.com is down for several weeks now and google returns lots of complaints about 3050 not working properly or at all under different Linux distros.

I’m looking for reply from those who have personal experience with this printer, theoretical comments and guesses (“it should work”, “hp have good support”, etc) don’t interest me.
Sorry to hear you want to only get feedback from exact printer owners. Let me say that I own two HP printers now that work great with hplip. A Photosmart C5180 and a P1505n. I suggest you look to buy a networked HP printer if you have more than one computer. Then, you don’t have to share it from a PC and you don’t have to keep a computer on to share the printer with a different computer. I have had very good luck with HP printers working with Linux and being updated in general when software gets newer, like for new versions of Windows for instance. So, no, I have not used a HP D3050 and really, unless someone else just buys it, that number will not be around all that long. Go with HP and consider going networked and you will most likely be OK with Linux.

Thank You,

Check the openprinting database: database/databaseintro | The Linux Foundation

BTW I can’t find your model there. Be careful.

Just bought an hp d3050 last weekend. Works fine in my ubuntu 10.04 distro. In order to install it, I went to hp’s website and it redirected me to http://hplipopensource.com/ from which I downloaded and installed hplip. I followed the installation instructions and that configured my printer. I printed a test page and scanned it. All works fine.

Just bought an hp d3050 last weekend. Works fine in my ubuntu 10.04 distro. In order to install it, I went to hp’s website and it redirected me to http://hplipopensource.com/ from which I downloaded and installed hplip. I followed the installation instructions and that configured my printer. I printed a test page and scanned it. All works fine.
That is fine and we are happy for you, but did you notice this forum is for openSUSE and not ubuntu?

Thank You,

Thanks a lot! Ah, finally hplipopensource is up again, it also confirms 100% compatibility with OpenSUSE 11.3. I will buy this printer. Thanks again!

Hello,

I am struggling to configure my printer to work wirelessly. Attempts to configure end with this error

An I/O error occurred.
Please check the USB connection to your printer and try again.
(Device I/O error)

USB connection works. I used hplip from HP website to install drivers. I managed to print HP Network Configuration Page but second time it gave nearly nothing.

Here’s hp-check -t log

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.1)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 14.3

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Note: hp-check can be run in three modes:
1. Compile-time check mode (-c or --compile): Use this mode before compiling   
the HPLIP supplied tarball (.tar.gz or .run) to determine if the proper        
dependencies are installed to successfully compile HPLIP.                      
2. Run-time check mode (-r or --run): Use this mode to determine if a distro   
supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc) or an already built HPLIP supplied tarball  
has the proper dependencies installed to successfully run.                     
3. Both compile- and run-time check mode (-b or --both) (Default): This mode   
will check both of the above cases (both compile- and run-time dependencies).  

Saving output in log file: hp-check.log

Initializing. Please wait...

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

Basic system information:
Linux linux-ckjf.site 2.6.34.7-0.4-default #1 SMP 2010-10-07 19:07:51 +0200 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Distribution:
suse 11.3

Checking Python version...
OK, version 2.6.5 installed

Checking PyQt 4.x version...
OK, version 4.7.3 installed.

Checking for CUPS...
Version: 1.4.4
error_log is set to level: warn

Checking for dbus/python-dbus...
dbus daemon is running.
python-dbus version: 0.83.0

------------------------------------
| COMPILE AND RUNTIME DEPENDENCIES |
------------------------------------

note: To check for compile-time only dependencies, re-run hp-check with the -c parameter (ie, hp-check -c).
note: To check for run-time only dependencies, re-run hp-check with the -r parameter (ie, hp-check -r).

Checking for dependency: CUPS - Common Unix Printing System...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: CUPS image - CUPS image development files...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: DBus - Message bus system...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: libjpeg - JPEG library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: libpthread - POSIX threads library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: libtool - Library building support services...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: libusb - USB library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan)...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: Python devel - Python development files...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: Python XML libraries...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: Python 2.3 or greater - Required for fax functionality...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: Reportlab - PDF library for Python...
warning: NOT FOUND! This is an OPTIONAL/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Some HPLIP functionality may not function properly.

Checking for dependency: SANE - Scanning library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: SANE - Scanning library development files...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: scanimage - Shell scanning program...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE...
OK, found.

----------------------
| HPLIP INSTALLATION |
----------------------

Currently installed HPLIP version...
HPLIP 3.11.1 currently installed in '/usr/share/hplip'.

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
version=3.11.1

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/cups/model/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/cups/model
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip-3.11.1
icon=/usr/share/applications
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/share/cups/drv/hp

# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
pp-build=no
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
hpijs-install=no
foomatic-drv-install=no
foomatic-ppd-install=no
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
hpcups-install=yes
cups-drv-install=yes
cups-ppd-install=no
internal-tag=3.11.1.19
restricted-build=no
ui-toolkit=qt4
qt3=no
qt4=yes
policy-kit=no
hpijs-only-build=no
lite-build=no
udev-acl-rules=no
hpcups-only-build=no
hpijs-only-build=no

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
# hplip.state - HPLIP runtime persistent variables. 

[plugin]
installed=0
eula=0

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
[last_used]
printer_name = 
working_dir = .
device_uri = hp:/usb/Deskjet_3050_J610_series?serial=CN0BC3B59005HX

[commands]
scan = /usr/bin/xsane -V %SANE_URI%

[installation]
version = 3.11.1.19
date_time = 15/02/11 13:10:10

[settings]
systray_messages = 3
systray_visible = 0

[fax]
email_address = 
voice_phone = 

[refresh]
rate = 30
enable = false
type = 1

[polling]
enable = false
device_list = 
interval = 5

--------------------------
| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |
--------------------------

Device URI                       Model                      
  -------------------------------  ---------------------------
  hp:/usb/Deskjet_3050_J610_serie  HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series
  s?serial=CN0BC3B59005HX                                     

---------------------------------
| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |
---------------------------------

Deskjet-3050-J610-series
------------------------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/Deskjet_3050_J610_series?serial=CN0BC3B59005HX
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-3050-J610-series.ppd
PPD Description: HP Deskjet 3050 j610 Series, hpcups 3.11.1
Printer status: printer Deskjet-3050-J610-series is idle.  enabled since Tue 15 Feb 201ready to print
Communication status: Good

Deskjet_3050_J610
-----------------
Type: Printer
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_3050_J610.ppd
PPD Description: HP Deskjet 3050 j610 Series, hpcups 3.11.1
Printer status: printer Deskjet_3050_J610 is idle.  enabled since Tue 15 Feb 2011 12:55ready to print
Communication status: Good

----------------------
| SANE CONFIGURATION |
----------------------

'hpaio' in '/etc/sane.d/dll.conf'...
OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is properly set up.

Checking output of 'scanimage -L'...
device `hpaio:/usb/Deskjet_3050_J610_series?serial=CN0BC3B59005HX' is a Hewlett-Packard Deskjet_3050_J610_series all-in-one

---------------------
| PYTHON EXTENSIONS |
---------------------

Checking 'cupsext' CUPS extension...
OK, found.

Checking 'pcardext' Photocard extension...
OK, found.

Checking 'hpmudext' I/O extension...
OK, found.

Checking 'scanext' SANE scanning extension...
OK, found.

-----------------
| USB I/O SETUP |
-----------------

Checking for permissions of USB attached printers...

HP Device 0x9311 at 001:002: 
    Device node: /dev/bus/usb/001/002
    Mode: 0660
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: dev/bus/usb/001/002
# owner: root
# group: lp
user::rw-
group::rw-
other::---

---------------
| USER GROUPS |
---------------

users sys lp

-----------
| SUMMARY |
-----------

error: 1 error or warning.

Please refer to the installation instructions at:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/index.html

I managed to connect to printer wirelessly but to do it i have to disconnect from my home network. Is there any way to keep my laptop and printer connected at the same time?

I do not understand what you mean when you state “to do it i have to disconnect from my home network” …

I have an HP All-In-One-Premium C309a printer, that I have connected to our home LAN’s router via wireless. Both of our family laptops (which connect to the LAN via wireless) can print to that printer (via wireless/LAN-router) from either their openSUSE-11.1/11.3 Linux boot partitions or from their WinXP boot partitions. Our 3 functioning desktop PCs (all 3 of which have openSUSE-11.3 Linux, and 2 of which also have WinXP) can print to that printer via a wired connection to our router (and from there via wireless to the printer).

Wireless scanning also functions in winXP and in openSUSE Linux.

I used YaST (and hplip) to configure the All-In-One-Printer/Scanner.

I do not use (and never have used) the USB connection on that printer to any PC.

I can’t answer your question “is there any way” because I do not understand your question.

I apologize for misty question. Basically I would like to do the same thing as you described in your post: print or scan via wireless and stay connected to the internet. So far I can’t do it at the same time. I used hplip for HP website to install all drivers. I have found some information related to my problem

Question #135694 “HP Deskjet 3050 I/O error” : Questions : HPLIP

Tried without luck

It reads to me that your approach is wrong. I assume you have a WLAN router ?

The technique is to connect the wireless printer to the Router and do NOT connect it to the individual computer. You connect the printer to the WLAN router via the printer’s menu/controls.

Once the printer is connected to the WLAN Router, it will be assigned an IP address. You need to know the printer’s IP address. Lets say it is 192.168.2.107. The printer’s IP address will not change. It will thus from here on always have what ever IP address it is assigned by the router (192.168.2.107 in my example, yours will be different).

Then on each openSUSE PC I go to YaST > hardware > printers > printer configuration > add (and wait a while for printer db to update) > connection wizard > Access Network printer or print server box via > TCP Port (AppSocket/JetDirect) and under “IP Address or Host Name” enter the IP address (ie 192.168.2.107). Leave TCP port number as 9100. If you press “Test Connection” it should see your printer. And under “slect the printer manufacturer” select HP. In a later menu you will need to select your printer in the database.

Its very easy to do.

I use DG834N RangeMax NEXT Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router and my printer hasn’t got any ethernet port. Is that means should I buy USB to Ethernet adapter and then try to configure printer as you described?

I had thought your Printer was a wireless printer ?

Perhaps you could provide the specs on your printer.

If your Printer is a wireless printer, then can you not connect your printer to the Router via the wireless ? ie you enter the WLAN SSID and WLAN password in the printer via the one touch button setup on its front panel.

There should be NO NEED to use a USB.

I just took a look at the HP site, and the HP manuals for your printer. I can not see what is confusing you. You do NOT need a wired ethernet port on your printer and that is made clear in both the manuals and on the HP site.

Look at Page-35 of HP3050 setup manual

Traditional Wireless Connection
To connect the HP All-in-One to an integrated wireless WLAN 802.11 network, you will
need the following:

• A wireless 802.11 network that includes a wireless router or access point.
    If you connect the HP All-in-One on a wireless network that has Internet access, HP
    recommends that you use a wireless router (access point or base station) that uses
    Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
  • A desktop computer or laptop with either wireless networking support, or a network
    interface card (NIC). The computer must be connected to the wireless network that
    you intend to install the HP All-in-One on.
  • Network name (SSID).
  • WEP key or WPA Passphrase (if needed).

That tells you what you need. It also refers one to the HP website if one needs more info.

or for example the superb HP wireless help which notes the Wireless Setup Wizard right on your printers front panel !!

Specifically The Wireless Setup Wizard, which you run from the printer’s control panel.

1. Make sure you know your network name and your security password (WEP or WPA).

2. On the printer’s control panel, press the Setup button and then select the Network menu.

The Wireless Setup Wizard displays a list of wireless networks in the area.

Note: The Setup button may appear as a wrench icon. There are differences between product models.

3.   Select your wireless network's name from the list.

If you don’t see your wireless network listed, you can enter your network name manually by scrolling to the bottom of the list. If you enter the name manually it must be exact, including upper and lower case characters.

4.   Enter your WEP key or WPA passphrase.

You must enter the key or passphrase exactly, including upper and lower case characters.

Your printer should connect to your wireless network. If it does not connect, you are given the opportunity to print a Wireless Network Test report that will help you find out what may be wrong.

**and if that is too complex for you, no worries, HP even has morebasic guides **…

Please look at the following:

HP have a great video here:
Set up your HP printer using the Wireless Wizard

Or if that video flies by too fast, simply read the GREAT guide here:
Connect a wireless printer using a setup wizard

Have you seen those before ?

Thank you, oldcpu for your efforts to help me. With all the clues and tips you gave me (some of them I tested before) I still can’t connect via wireless. I’ve even tested my printer on Windows Vista. With the same effect. I give up. My frustration reached critical level. I don’t want to waste your time or others.

I would like to help, but you need to provide details as opposed to saying “you cant connect via wireless”. There is no information there for me to help. I can’t pickup on the point where you get stuck, because you provide nothing other than a massive blank statement saying it does not work. Surely you understood and attempted part of it ? Where does it stop making sense for you? Did you look at these:

The great HP video here:
Set up your HP printer using the Wireless Wizard

Or if that video flies by too fast, simply read the GREAT guide here:
Connect a wireless printer using a setup wizard

At what point here do you have a problem ?

Yesterday I attempted last time to force the printer to work. I used old Huawei wireless router (from my ISP btw). Printer has got that function available so I thought I could use that to connect to my my network. I followed this route

YaST > hardware > printers > printer configuration > add (and wait a while for printer db to update) > connection wizard > Access Network printer or print server box via > TCP Port (AppSocket/JetDirect) and under “IP Address or Host Name” enter the IP address (ie 192.168.2.107). Leave TCP port number as 9100. If you press “Test Connection” it should see your printer. And under “slect the printer manufacturer” select HP. In a later menu you will need to select your printer in the database.

and it worked very well. Printer was connected via wireless.

I repeated the same steps with Netgear router and it did not work. Testing connection in Yast was saying that host in unreachable or something similar. Can’t remember now. So I did reset router to factory settings, removed all printer configurations in Yast and started again following this instructions I found here Question #135694 “HP Deskjet 3050 I/O error” : Questions : HPLIP

Enable wireless on the printer.
Look for the wireless broadcast in Network Manager.
Set up an ad hoc connection, with “IPV4 addressing” option to “link-local”.
Connect to that ad hoc connection- disconnect from other connections if necessary.
In the wireless menu of the printer, select the option to print a report. (Don’t worry if the blue wireless light is flashing.)
Look for the URL of the printer (Embedded Web Server) in the report.
Enter that URL in a browser.
Select your wireless network and enter the password in the configuration page that appears.
Run the HP program, choose “Set up Device” Network/wireless and your printer should appear.

Done all that and suddenly realised I was stubbornly selecting ‘Wireless/802.11 (requires a temporary USB connection…’ instead of middle option :shame:.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photos/image8.gif?w=9bc5c189

Scanning and printing work flawlessly now.

I simply did not read what someone wrote. I feel a little bit stupid now for making so big fuss. Anyway, thank you oldcpu for your patience and attention. I will be more careful next time lol!

Excellent! Well done in your determination to see this through to a final fix.

(Added to this thread, in lieu of starting a new thread, as this is exactly my situation)

I just a acquired an HP 3054 (j610a) (is an HP 3050). Great printer, setup with Windows, then our iMac, but openSUSE 11.3 balked. After testing on openSUSE 11.4 with the aforementioned procedures, it prints and copies correctly, and still working on the scan.

However, oS 11.3 does not recognize the printer (wireless or USB-attach). oS 11.3 has hplip at 3.10.2-2.3.1. The specs for the 3050 (j610a) (see HP Linux Imaging and Printing) require hplip at (minimum) 3.10.9. openSUSE 11.4’s hplip is at 3.11.1-6.1.

Question: I can install the oS 11.4 package on 11.3, and hopefully make this printer work. Should I take it from the openSUSE 11.4 oss repositories, or is there an HP repository available ?

While not urgent, it is a single wireless printer that will be shared by openSUSE, Mac OS/X and Windows.

You can download the most recent hplip from the following link page:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing

It is said to work with openSUSE 11.2, 11.3 & 11.4. I have not attempted to install the most recent version, but the last time I did I had to satisfy all sort of dependencies, guessing my arss off trying to figure out which package provided what dependency. If you go that way (using the above link) please let us know just how that went for you. In the end though, it did work for me, but what a hassle it was.

Thank You,