HP 2133 + OpenSuSE 11.0 (vs SLED)

I have just got OpenSuSE 11.0 working on my HP 2133.

I think the OS is much better now, I can play movies, use Skype, get the webcam, microphone working etc.

However I still have some issues

1)The resolution is somehow off. Does anybody have a link where I can find valid resolutions for the HP2133. I have messed around with various resolutions, but it just doesnt look right - stretched etc.

Also, in SLED, there was a nice resolution switcher in the system tray - is there such a thing for SuSE 11.0 ?

In addition to this, I have failed to get the via chrome9 drivers to work with “3D” - has anybody managed this on SuSE 11.0? It seems to complain a lot when compiling. I will try it again at some point.

2)Wireless networking

I am now using the “hybrid” driver, for the internal wireless card. It will not work with the standard broadcom drivers (I have already checked the PCI ids etc) However I would really like to use the wireless network search tool which was in SLED. This popped up on mousemove on the system tray a list of current networks and their signal strength, whether they were encrypted, at a glance.

I am now having to resort to “iwpriv eth1 scanning” to get my list of networks.

Anybody know what tool this was?

Also I need to load the driver every time suse starts. Is there any command I can do to integrate the driver into the SuSE files, rather than doing a manual insmod ./drivername from the directory I installed each time I restart. Modprobe does not see it. I have tried sysconfig and load modules on start, but either it does not accept the path or something errors out.

3)SLED recovery disk

Is there a SLED recovery image available? I know you can download the iso from novell.com but is there anything you can download which restores the hp2133 back to its factory settings with all configurations already complete?

I think there is a similar thing for windows. There is an iso on the website but it does not contain a recovery image, just a lot of rpms.

Hi

1. When running the sax2 tool, were you able to select the correct
    screen size, aspect ratio and physical dimensions? A look here may also
    help for setting your dpi etc;
    Optimal Use of
    MS TrueType Core Fonts for a KDE Desktop on SuSE

2. If you look in the following directory;

ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`

Is there a directory called updates? If not as root user create one and
put you ko file in this directory and run the following command;

sudo /sbin/depmod -aq

Then ensure the module name is in the modules to load at boot option
in /etc/sysconfig/kernel file. Note just the module name without
the .ko at the end.

1. Suggest you contact your supplier for this.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
up 21:24, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.22, 0.26
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.22

I will try your suggestions, many thanks.

I think I have found the resolution switcher, but now I just need the wlan monitor and I’m away.

I’m actually probably going to use a wireless usb wlan adaptor instead so I can do monitoring with kismet.