Howto install Novatel Merlin card c201

Greetings all,

Please can someone educate me on how to install and configure a Novatel Merlin Card c201 CDMA PCMCIA card. I have already activated the card on a Windows XP box. But I am a newbie to Linux and really fell in love with OpenSuse after trying out Ubuntu and Fedora. I will really like to stick to OpenSuse, but to do this, I will have to get my wireless CDMA card working on it.

Thank you in advance.

Donpj

I have a Kyocera PCMCIA CDMA card (not sure of the exact model). I use kinternet to dial out with it, and have it configured as /dev/ttyUSB0 in Yast / Network Devices / Modem.

Mine is detected at boot up and Suse automatically loads the airprime driver for it. I can see it being detected if I turn off the splash screen during boot up.

You will need to get the phone number, username and password in order to connect. Do a google search for your provider and include “linux” in the search to try to find out what is info needed to connect properly. Some providers require a password and a username, and some just require you to dial the correct number (they are able to get your username from info stored inside the device)

Another source of this info, should you not be able to find it posted, would be to go into Windows and look at the config files for the program Windows uses to connect to your provider. That was where I found the correct password and how my username needed to be typed out in order to be able to log in.

I had to disable compression to be able to connect to my provider, but I have never heard of anyone else needing to do this.

donpj wrote:

>
> Greetings all,
>
> Please can someone educate me on how to install and configure a Novatel
> Merlin Card c201 CDMA PCMCIA card. I have already activated the card on
> a Windows XP box. But I am a newbie to Linux and really fell in love
> with OpenSuse after trying out Ubuntu and Fedora. I will really like to
> stick to OpenSuse, but to do this, I will have to get my wireless CDMA
> card working on it.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Donpj
>
>
I have a Novatel U720 and all I do is choose Auto-configure CDMA from
Network Manager in the system tray with no configuration done…

My card was detected as /dev/ttyS1, I tried modifying the wvconfig script as listed below, but I still get the error that follows:

linux-trs9:~/Desktop # wvdial
→ WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
→ Initializing modem.
→ Sending: ATZ
→ Sending: ATQ0
→ Re-Sending: ATZ
→ Modem not responding.

It still can’t connect. Below is my wvconfig file

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 57600

Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
Init3 =Area Code =
Phone = #777
Username = 7028226789@starcomms.com
Password = 7028226789
Ask Password = 0
Dial Command = ATDT
Stupid Mode = 1
Compuserve = 0
Force Address =
Idle Seconds = 300
DialMessage1 =
DialMessage2 =
ISDN = 0
Auto DNS = 1

I tried looking for Autoconfig CDMA as directed by the Administrator, yet I did not see anything like that. I am running openSuse 11.0 without any updates. Is it what is causing my problems?

Thank you.

Donpj.

Try changing your first init string to ATX0.

Also, did you try the CDMA auto configuration in Network Manager? Did not work for me, but some have reported success with it. I could not find the log for it to see what it was doing, and it would just die every time with no explanation after trying to connect for 30 seconds or so.

Finally, you might want to hide your telephone number in your config file as displayed in your message (for privacy reasons).

Don’t know who your provider is. Sprint has a nice PDF doc that explains very well how to install and use all of the models they offer… The Novatel are very Linux friendly. Generally, all of these modems will show up as USB devices, even those that are PCMCIA cards. Try this command and see what comes back “dmesg | grep -i /dev/ttyUSB” If nothing comes back, then the device, is not actually loaded. You can then try a generic loading of the usbserial driver to see if it will trigger the system to load the card. “modprobe usbserial”

You might also want to check out this thread which discusses how to set a CDMA device up in Ubuntu using wvdial to dial out:

[SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA) - Ubuntu Forums](http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343989&highlight=evdo)