HowTo change the background image of the login screen?

How is the background image of the login screen configured? I mean this image:

Which desktop environment?

The picture you show is the lock screen and not the login screen!

Under Plasma simply open systemsettings->workspace bahaviour->screen locking->appaearance

For login scrren aka sddm simply open systemsettings->startup and shutdown-> login screen (SDDM)

That explains a lot. I didn’t realize that the screen presented upon reboot (when I didn’t have auto-login enabled) was different from the lock screen. When the screen is locked, I can move the mouse pointer from one display to the other and enter my password in either one. But when the login screen is presented, I can’t change displays. At least not using the mouse.

The login screen is from the Display Manager, NOT from t he desktop. Simply because there is no desktop at that moment, there is not even an logged in user…

The screen locking is a feature of the desktop that is running at that moment for that particular user. The user is NOT logged out, only her/his session is locked from access by passers by when he/she is going to the toilet…

Indeed. At one time it was XDM, KDM, GDM, etc. I read somewhere that it is now something called Plymouth. I wasn’t sure how things are glued together these days. I just wanted a background more pleasing to me. That’s why I provided the picture. I suspected my vocabulary was incorrect.

It is still something that ends in dm. Plymouth is something different again. It is what you see during the boot of the system.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.