howto 10.3 to 11.1 keeping kde 3.5

Hi,

I want to upgrade to opensuse 11.1 from 10.3, but wish to keep a kde 3.5 desktop. What are the steps I should take (which install cd, which install/upgrade options) to make sure my desktop experience changes as little as possible and I can continue to work as before. (I’m testing kde 4.2 on another machine.)

Reason for the upgrade: security updates, firefox3, ooo3

Are there any kde 3.5 packages that are not available anymore?

TIA,

Erik

I have upgraded exactly this way: from 10.3 to 11.1. KDE3 was just retained :slight_smile: I remember, I was asked about it.

equaeghe wrote:
> I want to upgrade to opensuse 11.1 from 10.3, but wish to keep a kde
> 3.5 desktop. What are the steps I should take (which install cd, which
> install/upgrade options) to make sure my desktop experience changes as
> little as possible and I can continue to work as before. (I’m testing
> kde 4.2 on another machine.)

Make backup of old system,
note which partion/file system is mounted to /home,
boot openSUSE 11.1 DVD,
new installation,
Desktop selection: other - KDE 3,
keep your old /home, not not format it and assign it to /home

> Are there any kde 3.5 packages that are not available anymore?

Pretty much verything is there.

Kind regards,
Andreas Stieger

Any specific reason not to upgrade, but do a new install?

Erik

Speed for one reason. Upgrading my main machine takes hours, an install and configuration that’s got everything in it I need (apache, php, NIS, NFS, Samba and more) takes a bit more than two hours, including updating to latest KDE etc.
Another good reason is, that there will be no remains of the previous install…

Peoples are doing new installations by default. You can try out the update, but if something doesn’t work and you post it here, the first response will be to try with a new installation.
You can lose very easily your system’s integrity with an update, and you’ll never find out what’s missing. Installing a fresh system takes less time then upgrading and after the upgrade searching for solutions if you have any problem.