How to use latest version of LibreOffice?

LibreOffice 7.2 was just announced, and it has some features I’d like to use, but the version in Leap is a little old.

I see that I can install the Flatpak, which was updated today with the newest version.

I don’t mind using Flatpak, but is there another way within the openSUSE ecosystem to use the latest version?

Highest Version, as I can see, is 7.1.5.

You can also download it here:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/?type=rpm-x86_64

If I download the .rpm from the link above, will this then keep it updated to the latest version when I

zypper update

?

No it won’t.

First because only downloading is not enough, you must also install it (e.g. using zypper in …rpm).

But as it does not come from a repository, it can not detect if a newer RPM is available for downloading on that web-site.

Nope. Not automatically “zypper up” can only udate what is available in the installed repositories. You can download the rpm to a local folder. Add the folder as a (repo) local source and install with zypper from there. You may download a newer version to the same folder. Then zypper will update it.
Well, it’s not quite the same as with a “regular” repo.

Thank you, Henk. That makes sense.

So, there currently is no way to add a repo to Leap that will update LibreOffice to the latest version?

If so that’s fine as I can just use the Flatpak.

Thank you for pointing out this option. It seems like the Flatpak will be the easiest to use the latest version unless there is a repo I can add for the latest updates.

There’s a build occurring for LibreOffice version 7.2 –

It seems that, the build was last run yesterday – presumably version 7.2 will appear in the next few working days …

Thank you, this is excellent information, and it brings up a few questions:

1. What is the difference between the software on software.opensuse.org and the software on build.opensuse.org? It looks like I can install software with one-click on software.opensuse.org but not on build.opensuse.org.

2. I understand how to add a repository in Yast but how to I ensure LibreOffice will be installed and updated from this new repository instead of the old version?

Switch to that repo in the same way as you (probaly) have don to Packman for multi-media support.

Once switched , “vendor stickiness” (in Leap, not in Tumbleweed) will see that you get those packages only updated from the repro they came from.

First up – I have to admit that, the openSUSE “software” pages are misleading –

• Leap 15.3 – absolutely standard as far as LibreOffice is concerned – here’s the output from LibreOffice “About:” – in the Help –

Version: 7.1.4.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 10(Build:2)
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: kf5
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI: de-DE
Calc: threaded

So, don’t believe the Internet – believe only what you’ve installed …

If you work your way from this openSUSE Wiki page – <https://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories&gt; to this Heading – “Popular Build Service repositories” – there’s this entry – “The openSUSE Build Service contains a large variety of additional repositories.” – <https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/&gt;.

I wouldn’t try “7.2” at the moment – it’s still being built – may be ready for use next week – maybe …
If you take a look in “7.1” and “openSUSE_Leap_15.3”, you’ll see that the absolutely newest LibreOffice version 7.1 for Leap 15.3 is version 7.1.5.2 – which is only a tick newer than the version in the standard Leap 15.3 update repository …
[HR][/HR]All of which doesn’t really answer your question but, it may help to point you in another direction …

• The packages in “software.opensuse.org” are built, tested by openQA and, released.
  • The packages in “build.opensuse.org” are being built, often, haven’t passed the openQA testing and, are not, yet, released …

Simply, in YaST, selecting a particular version in a non-standard repository – even if that repository has a lower priority (a higher number) – is sufficient to ensure that, that version will always be selected – even if the official update repository happens to, over time, have a newer version than the one in the repository you chose to use …

• Simply select the YaST Software “Versions” tab to see what’s going on …

IMHO, that’s not true. You can find the same packages and repos on build.opensuse.org as those on software.opensuse.org. As stated on build.opensuse.org homepage, software.opensuse.org is just a special package search interface for packages hosted on build.opensuse.org.

Using/enabling many Repositories will lead mostly to errors, some earlier, some later.

I always say:
Less Repos are often more…

And please be carefully with 1-Click-Installations, that will enable that Repo but only on Standard-Priority 99, which will also leads to errors, see above.

Less is more (the Wikipedia entry)

It was a slogan of Mies van der Rohe (architect). I agree that it can also apply to the repo configuration.

There are seven entries there. Who adds one about “Less repos is more”?

Yes, but, the packages in software.opensuse.org have passed the openQA testing and, are released.