How to upscaling screen resolution on Asus eeepc in Opensuse 13.2

ok, to the point, i want to add additional screen resolution to my netbook asus eeepc 1015.not a long time ago in windows 8.1,i can upscale it screen resolution to 1152x864 from 1024x600 with some regedit trick. how to to do the same thing in opensuse?

i’m already ask in opensuse facebook group, one of the member said that i have to edit /etc/X11/Xorg.conf and add this line after “screen” section

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1152x864"
EndSubSection

unfortunately there’s no Xorg.conf in /etc/X11/ directory. so created Xorg.conf with those line above. save and restart. but opensuse couldn’t enter desktop after that. it suddenly restart again automatically, so i delete it and back to normal. i check the diretory again and i found file Xorg.conf.install with bunch of “screen” section in it and xorg.conf.d so i try to add the line above to the xorg.conf.install, save and restart. but nothing change, in desktop setting no additional resolution.

Section "Device"
  Identifier "vboxvideo"
  Driver  "vboxvideo"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "vboxvideo"
  Device "vboxvideo"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "vmware"
  Driver  "vmware"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "vmware"
  Device "vmware"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "modesetting"
  Driver  "modesetting"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
  Identifier "modesetting"
  Device "modesetting"
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
                Modes "1152x864"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "fbdev"
  Driver  "fbdev"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
  Identifier "fbdev"
  Device "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "fbdev"
  Driver  "fbdev"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
  Identifier "fbdev"
  Device "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "vesa"
  Driver  "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "vesa"
  Device "vesa"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier "Layout"
  Screen  "vboxvideo"
  Screen  "vmware"
  Screen  "modesetting"

is there another way to work this out? 1024x600 resolution seem too small for me, some program not appear correctly too ( usually some ok button did not appear because screen too small )

thank you

That is an odd setting so you would need to make a modeline to add to the xorg.conf.

BTW in general xorg.conf is not needed and things are moving to replace the single file by several each representing a section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory.

It would be helpful for you to share /var/log/Xorg.0.log with us. It is a lengthy file, so upload it to http://paste.opensuse.org/ and post the link to it here.

Adding any config to xorg.conf.install will not work. It is a backup file used at installation time, and be careful with using case sensitive files ie xorg.conf is not the same as Xorg.conf

here the log

http://paste.opensuse.org/42102992

i try to use xrandr to change screen scaling, i can do it from there but i can’t move mouse to task bar it stuck.

You Xorg.0.log reports

27536.430] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
 27536.430] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x600"x0.0   45.00  1024 1077 1112 1200  600 604 609 625 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz eP)
 27536.431] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x600"x0.0   51.42  1024 1117 1152 1240  600 617 622 638 -hsync -vsync (41.5 kHz e)

which I assume is the native display resolution. You didn’t tell us which model Eee PC you have, but the following wiki source mentions

The Eee PC 900 and 901 come with a 1024×600 pixels 8.9-inch (226 mm) display, almost filling the lid.

i try to use xrandr to change screen scaling, i can do it from there but i can’t move mouse to task bar it stuck.

So, if I understand you correctly, you want to use a bigger virtual screen and this does not involve changing the actual display mode at all. Instead, you’d end up with a larger desktop with panning.

I don’t think scaling is what you really want. It would have been useful for you to show us exactly what you’ve tried with the xrandr commands, so we get an accurate idea, rather than a vague description, but if I really wanted a bigger desktop than my laptop display provided, I would consider attaching a decent sized external monitor with better display resolution for the times I needed it. The poor-man’s method is just to use panning. For example

xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --panning 1920x1080

It should then be possible to pan the virtual display with your mouse. Work for you?