How to Update Okular from 0.13 to 0.16 on Opensuse 12.1 with Gnome

Hi. I’m running OpenSuse 12.1 64bit with Gnome on my laptop and I’m not interested to update to 12.3, even if it’s sound cool.
I’m saying that since I would like to know if It’s possible to install the new version of Okular (0.16) instead of 0.13 that is in the OS repository without upgrading or ruin my actual OS version.
This update is really interesting for me since with the new version of Okular it’s possible to save within the file the annotations and the highlights, so they can be seen also from other PDF reading software, while with 0.13 version this is not possible.
Is there a way to update from 0.13 to 0.16 keeping my OpenSuse 12.1 version?
Okular has not dedicated repository (I think) and on the website they ask to refer to the Distro repository, but for OpenSuse 12.1 only 0.13 version of Okular is available.
I hope I’ve been clear enough on the exposition of my problem.
Thanks for your suggests.

p.s. I know that Okular should be for KDE but I’m currently using the 0.13 version and it runs perfectly in Gnome, and 0.16 should do the same.

Three points:

1. You might expect responders to say `upgrade to openSUSE 12.3’, but since openSUSE 12.1 isn’t quite yet EOL, that
    suggestion can only remain a recommendation rather than objection.
  2. But since openSUSE 12.1 EOL is very near (44 days), it might be worth bearing that now would be a very good time to
    upgrade, since your OS would otherwise only be supported for just over a month.
  3. Since you have GNOME and assuming you have no other KDE applications, why don’t you just install the latest version
    of Okular and it’s associated dependencies? If you go to http://software.opensuse.org you can search for Okular and
    perform a one-click install (e.g. from the factory repo - remove the repo after installation!).

On 2013-04-02 14:19, flymail wrote:
> 2. But since openSUSE 12.1 EOL is very near (44 days), it might be worth bearing that now would be a very good time to
> upgrade, since your OS would otherwise only be supported for just over a month.

Or you can wait for a month so that most issues get ironed out :wink:

> 3. Since you have GNOME and assuming you have no other KDE applications, why don’t you just install the latest version
> of Okular and it’s associated dependencies? If you go to http://software.opensuse.org you can search for Okular and
> perform a one-click install (e.g. from the factory repo - remove the repo after installation!).

Interestingly, if you use the search feature to search for the package

http://software.opensuse.org/package/okular

it tells you which repos carry okular, but they do not say what version
of that they have: they only say the KDE version they have. The newer
package I see for 12.1 is okular-4.9.5-1.1.x86_64.rpm, certainly not
0.13 nor 0.16.

That is, you probably have to activate one of those KDE repos and update
the entire KDE.

I would not bother…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Thanks for your replies.
I really didn’t notice that my dear 12.1 is going to end It’s lifetime… I’ve installed 12.3 version few days ago, but many things are still missing (h5utils module for meep, for example) and also skype uses to crash frequently so I returned back to 12.1
A long term support for 12.1 would be appreciated, but things evolves and I should get used to that…
Conclusion: I’ve trown away 2 nights for installing 12.3 and re-installing 12.1, now another installation night is waiting for me!
Thanks for your suggests, thread can be closed now, I think!

On 2013-04-02, Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> Or you can wait for a month so that most issues get ironed out :wink:

Well you could wait until almost all the issues are ironed out in 12.3, but that’ll be after openSUSE 13.1 is
out. My experience with openSUSE 12.3 is that the most critical issues were ironed before the final version was
released. There were minor texlive issues but they are resolved by a simple `zypper in’.

On 2013-04-02, Carlos E. R. robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org wrote:

Interestingly, if you use the search feature to search for the package http://software.opensuse.org/package/okular
it tells you which repos carry okular, but they do not say what version of that they have: they only say the KDE
version they have. The newer package I see for 12.1 is okular-4.9.5-1.1.x86_64.rpm, certainly not 0.13 nor 0.16.

An irritating inconsistency of some of the KDE software (Dolphin, Okular) is that it returns the KDE version in `zypper
info’ rather than the correct one (cf. Amarok, Digikam).

On 2013-04-02, Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> That is, you probably have to activate one of those KDE repos and update the entire KDE.
> I would not bother…

…nor would I…

On 2013-04-02, sim0ne <sim0ne@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> Thanks for your replies. I really didn’t notice that my dear 12.1 is going to end It’s lifetime… I’ve installed
> 12.3 version few days ago, but many things are still missing (h5utils module for meep, for example) and also skype
> uses to crash frequently so I returned back to 12.1

If you’re having problems installing applications in 12.3, you should post the problem here since it’s likely that many
others have experienced similar issues and can recommend solutions/workarounds.

> A long term support for 12.1 would be appreciated, but things evolves and I should get used to that…

Ideally install both versions with a multiple-boot so you can switch version when needed (e.g. on my present box, I have
openSUSE 11.4 Evergreen, openSUSE 12.2, openSUSE 12.3, and Windows 7 quadruple boot).

> Conclusion: I’ve trown away 2 nights for installing 12.3 and re-installing
> 12.1, now another installation night is waiting for me!
It should not cost a night to install openSUSE from DVD! It should take only 15-30 minutes (depending on how long the
first online update takes), unless you have a very slow internet connection. I then make a few edits to /etc/fstab,
mount -a' then run a bash script (that largely consists of a few ln -sf’ lines, a few zypper ar -f' lines, and a few zypper in’ lines) that automatically installs everything I want. Some softare (e.g. nvidia drivers) escape this
automated procedure but I hope to have finished everything inside an hour.

> Thanks for your suggests, thread can be closed now, I think!

See you in another thread in Applications or Install/Boot/Login ;).

On 04/02/2013 03:06 PM, sim0ne wrote:
> A long term support for 12.1 would be appreciated,

not gonna happen…1.4 is in long term and the next will be either
12.3 or 13.1 (probably the latter)…

dd

On 2013-04-02 16:54, flymail wrote:
> On 2013-04-02, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

>> Or you can wait for a month so that most issues get ironed out :wink:
> Well you could wait until almost all the issues are ironed out in 12.3, but that’ll be after openSUSE 13.1 is
> out. My experience with openSUSE 12.3 is that the most critical issues were ironed before the final version was
> released. There were minor texlive issues but they are resolved by a simple `zypper in’.

I have about a dozen bugzillas reported against 12.3, some of them
important to me, and most of them with no activity at all.

Then, I still need to test other features, like manual activation of
encrypted filesystem. I have no idea how to do that.

Plus, there is another wait till most extra repos build the applications
that are not included in the official repos and that I also need.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)