How to uninstall openSUSE 11.1_32-bits and install 64-bits

Hello!,
New in Linux, but I want to try!!.
I have just installed openSUSE 11.1 32-bits in a new computer where I had two partitions: one for WinXP (500 GB) and another in blank (500 GB).

Installation was OK, the installer creates different partitions automatically, and I can logon in linux, no problem. But I was wrong installing openSUSE 32-bits, what I need is openSUSE 64-bits !!!.

Well, I have donwloaded & burned the new DVD with x86_64.iso, please what steps do you suggest me to follow to get rid of openSUSE 11.1 32-bits and install the new 64-bits? – thanks!.
Best regards,
Blas.

1. You don’t “need” 64-Bit, a 32 Bit system will run fine on 64 Bit hardware (but not vice versa)

2. If you really think you “need” the 64 Bit version, you don’t need to uninstall the 32 Bit version, just install the 64 Bit on the partitions where the 32 Bit version was installed

Now choose your poison

Hello!,
Thanks for answering.
64-bits version is a requirement to run application engineering software that only runs in 64-bits platform.

Then, simply inserting the new DVD with openSUSE 64bits is enought?. No problem with previous partitions done before?.

Best regards,
Blas.

Yes.

No (if the correct partitions are chosen).

Hi, I am quoting Akoellh here:

1. If you really think you “need” the 64 Bit version, you don’t need to uninstall the 32 Bit version, just install the 64 Bit on the partitions where the 32 Bit version was installed

Inserting the new 64-bit disc and performing an UPGRADE should suffice your needs. Please make sure you’ve backed up all data BEFORE stressing the system. Good Luck!
//edit: Akollh, sneaky dude… :wink:

TheMask.***

Where did I write upgrade?

NO, chosing upgrade ist certainly the wrong option!

Sorry, I meant UPDATE. Please feel free to correct me again without asking if I am wrong. Otherwise it will just lead to confusion.

TheMask.

Holy Cow, you really run into these things, do you?

No, neither Upgrade nor Update is correct, only a fresh install will be a safe way to ensure you have a 64 Bit System at the end.

Tried that once, updating to 64-bit, left me with a broken install and a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit packages because I had to force everything (in the days that you could do that from Yast).

Only a fresh install will work. Keep your eyes open and you’ll manage