How to uninstall Google Chrome?

There’s a reason why chrome is not a default option in opensuse. I made the mistake of installing chrome using zypper because I wanted to import my passwords to firefox, and immediately noticed funny activity on doing top, with strange processes named Webcontent running in the background. However the zypper command I found on the web for removing chrome didn’t work.

som@localhost:~> su -
Password: 
localhost:~ # zypper repos
Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

#  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
 1 | Google-Chrome             | Google-Chrome                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No
 2 | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1      | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1               | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 3 | repo-debug                | Debug Repository                   | No      | ----      | ----
 4 | repo-debug-non-oss        | Debug Repository (Non-OSS)         | No      | ----      | ----
 5 | repo-debug-update         | Update Repository (Debug)          | No      | ----      | ----
 6 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | Update Repository (Debug, Non-OSS) | No      | ----      | ----
 7 | repo-non-oss              | Non-OSS Repository                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 8 | repo-oss                  | Main Repository                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 9 | repo-source               | Source Repository                  | No      | ----      | ----
10 | repo-source-non-oss       | Source Repository (Non-OSS)        | No      | ----      | ----
11 | repo-update               | Main Update Repository             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
12 | repo-update-non-oss       | Update Repository (Non-Oss)        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
localhost:~ # zypper removerepo google-chrome
Repository 'google-chrome' not found by alias, number or URI.
localhost:~ # 

So though Chrome is obviously there, zypper isn’t recognizing that and thinking it isn’t. And typing chrome in the menu box is also showing chrome which upon clicking on it is opening the browser. How do I uninstall it? I just checked that restarting didn’t do the trick. So please help.

Maybe you passed the name of the repository to zypper rm?

Find all packages installed from a given repo:

zypper pa -i --repo NVIDIA

Then use

zypper rm packages

zypper rm command accepts an -u flag to remove also unneeded dependencies if you prefer.

YSK that modern browsers do spawn backgrounds processes, Firefox does that as well.

EDIT: I didn’t look closely the that output you pasted. You typed the repo as all lowercase. And only removing the repo is not enough. See above.

Removing the repo does NOT remove the installed package(s) from that repo. To achieve removal of both:

sudo zypper rr 1

The Google Crome repo is no 1 in your list, so the command removes that repo

sudo zypper rm google-chrome-stable

removes the package.

But for both you can also use the tools in YaST - Software

This is what I get

Password: 
localhost:~ # zypper repos
Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

#  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
 1 | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1      | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1               | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 2 | repo-debug                | Debug Repository                   | No      | ----      | ----
 3 | repo-debug-non-oss        | Debug Repository (Non-OSS)         | No      | ----      | ----
 4 | repo-debug-update         | Update Repository (Debug)          | No      | ----      | ----
 5 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | Update Repository (Debug, Non-OSS) | No      | ----      | ----
 6 | repo-non-oss              | Non-OSS Repository                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 7 | repo-oss                  | Main Repository                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 8 | repo-source               | Source Repository                  | No      | ----      | ----
 9 | repo-source-non-oss       | Source Repository (Non-OSS)        | No      | ----      | ----
10 | repo-update               | Main Update Repository             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
11 | repo-update-non-oss       | Update Repository (Non-Oss)        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes

And yet Chrome is still looming large.

I also get

Password: 
localhost:~ # zypper pa -i --repo Google-Chrome
Repository 'Google-Chrome' not found by its alias, number, or URI.
Use 'zypper repos' to get the list of defined repositories.

Please help.

Please read the replies. I already gave you the solution.

In the first message you’ve had a Google-Chrome repository. In the second message, the repository was gone, so the command above from your third message wouldn’t work anymore, since the environment was changed.
Now you can check which packages were left behind:

zypper pa --orphaned

Find the correct package name and use the command suggested to have it/they removed.

But Google-Chrome is no longer the no.1 repo.

Use YaST Software Manager, search. We are not here to spoonfeed you. Spend your time and energy on learning.

Uninstalled chrome using YAST.

You’re not the only person to be confused between the Alphabet Chrome Web-Browser «Chrome is licensed as proprietary freeware» and the Alphabet Chromium Web-Browser.

• The Alphabet (there’s a daughter company by the name of “Google
    ” … ) Chromium Web-Browser is available from the openSUSE repositories.

> zypper info chromium
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package chromium:
---------------------------------
Repository     : Update-Repository
Name           : chromium
Version        : 83.0.4103.97-lp151.2.96.1
Arch           : x86_64
Vendor         : openSUSE
Installed Size : 251.1 MiB
Installed      : No
Status         : not installed
Source package : chromium-83.0.4103.97-lp151.2.96.1.src
Summary        : Google's open source browser project
Description    :
    Chromium is the open-source project behind Google Chrome. We invite you to join us in our effort to help build a
    safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web, and to create a powerful platform
    for developing a new generation of web applications.

> 

• The Alphabet Chrome Web-Browser, because it’s «licensed as proprietary freeware
    », is not available from the openSUSE repositories.

Further detailed information on both these Web-Browsers is available in Wikipedia.
[HR][/HR]If you choose to install applications which do not meet the requirements placed on the openSUSE repositories, you’re on you own.

• But, if you’re lucky, you may, occasionally, find advice related to “not really part of the openSUSE world
    ” applications in these Forums. First search and then, if there’s definitely no previous discussion related to the “not part of us” application, feel free to post a query – you may, or you may not, be answered …

As I said, I uninstalled via YAST.

Just for the record: removing a package and cleaning up:

Identify the package:

localhost:~ # zypper search --installed-only chrom

S  | Name            | Summary                              | Type
---+-----------------+--------------------------------------+--------
i+ | chromium        | Google's open source browser project | package
i  | libchromaprint1 | Audio Fingerprinting Library         | package
localhost:~ # zypper remove
remove         removelocale   removelock     removerepo     removeservice  

Remove the package and its dependencies:

localhost:~ # zypper remove --dry-run --clean-deps chromium
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 6 packages are going to be REMOVED:
  chromium libavcodec58 libavformat58 libavutil56 libopenmpt0 libswresample3

6 packages to remove.
After the operation, 257.1 MiB will be freed.
Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): 

This is what I am getting.

som@localhost:~> su 
Password: 
localhost:/home/som # zypper search --installed-only chrom
Warning: Repository 'Update Repository (Non-Oss)' appears to be outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server.

S | Name                         | Summary                             | Type
--+------------------------------+-------------------------------------+--------
i | chrome-gnome-shell           | GNOME Shell integration for Chrom-> | package
i | texlive-context-chromato     | ConTeXt macros for chromatograms    | package
i | texlive-context-chromato-doc | Documentation for texlive-context-> | package
localhost:/home/som # zypper remove --dry-run --clean-deps chromium
'chromium' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of 'chromium' found.
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.

However I am encountering somewhat suspicious activity in my browsing experience. For instance sometimes pages don’t seem to open at all. In order to steer clear of Google and all that it entails, what is it that I should exactly do? Is it possible that uninstalling chrome and chromium is not enough, that I must to do a fresh reinstall and work only with the seamonkey browser instead of Mozilla and only with Duckduckgo instead of Google search after that?

Ok thanks for the tip, done what you said. I am already changing to a new user profile by changing my email address from gmail to something else and will check out the page you’ve suggested to see exactly what all that means.

After removing chrome-shell, seeing marked improvement in browsing experience. Thanks so much.

Still noticing some strange behaviour on my mozilla firefox browser. Each time I save a password, a copy of that shows up in the password manager with Chrome appended to the name of the website and some garbled username and password to go along with it. So chrome still might be lurking on my computer and trying to mess around with my passwords. Please advise what I should do.>:(

Please, with the user “root”, execute “rpmconfigcheck”.
Also with the user “root”, the command “zypper verify” will perform some basic checking.
Also with the user “root”, execute the command “rpm --verify --all” – you may have to pass the output through “less” – take special account of the messages containing “missing”.

This is what I get:

som@localhost:~> su
Password: 
localhost:/home/som # rpmconfigcheck
Searching for unresolved configuration files
localhost:/home/som # zypper verify
Warning: Repository 'Update Repository (Non-Oss)' appears to be outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server.

Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied.
localhost:/home/som # rpm --verify --all
.M.......  c /var/log/audit/audit.log
.M.......  g /usr/share/fonts/100dpi/encodings.dir
.M.......  g /usr/share/fonts/100dpi/fonts.scale
.M.......  g /usr/share/fonts/75dpi/encodings.dir
.M.......  g /usr/share/fonts/75dpi/fonts.scale
.......T.    /usr/lib64/gconv/gconv-modules.cache
.M.......  g /var/log/alternatives.log
.......T.  c /etc/login.defs
.......T.  c /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-lo
.M....G..  g /var/log/lastlog
.......T.  c /etc/YaST2/control.xml