How to turn off all Updates, make peace with Repositories

Hello again,

1. How to turn off all Updates & checking for Updates?!

1.1 Since I installed OpenSuse - I am regularly receving Notifications in Sustem Tray - bum, bum, bum - 314 Updates ready to install…
1.2 No love at all to Updates, they should never even search or mention to me Updates…

1. I first supposed - they should be coming from Enabled Repositories - so I deleted some 3 or 4 enabled Repositories;
    2.1 as you understand - I have no clue whatsoever about Repositories;

2. Now, I was reading that I need Repositories - to install additional software…
    3.1. I added back Repo, which I removed in day 1…

3. Update Notifications are back again…

4. also - Should those Repo be allowed self -refresh or enabled or Both?! - I think somewhere there is the solution, but I didn’t found the correct one…

5. … I could not install VLC player … it was trying to add some new Repo (which I hate) - and doing so - it said - there is still some problem with my OpenSuse Repo, so it fails to install…
    6.1 - sure, my preffered method to install VLC - would be from a simple tar, not through Yast, but I could not find such option…

1 remove the updater app. note you are then responsible to check for update yourself.

2 you want at least the base repos. There are good security reasons to update but you can do it at your own convenience

4 the updater is just an app remove it many do. But again you do need to periodically update

5 depends on what repos. show use what you have with zypper lr -d

6 so what repo do you hate and why?? LOL You need packman to play proprietary multi media stuff because the base install of openSUSE is all open source, note the name. No proprietary stuff. But you can get from packman VLC from openSUSE has no proprietary codecs so you need to switch to packman

• actually any which bothers me :slight_smile:

• but, yes, I added Packman Repo; but because I don’t like Repo’s - I was trying to install VLC from VLC page - like I did for my Firefox 19.02 , - but VLC is offering some OpenSuse installator through Yast - and it still doesn’t work and give some errors…

and I wonder - How to - 1 remove the updater app. -?! Where to look for it? In Yast something?!

If you are using KDE, then it is sufficient to disable the update applet. Right click on the tray, and select “system tray settings”. Then remove the checkmark for “Software Updates”.

If you are using Gnome, it is harder to find where to turn off the equivalent. But you can uninstall “packagekit” which will prevent all such automatic updates.

You would still be able to use Yast and zypper to add/remove software or to manually check for updates.

Just my two cent’s worth: I sense that you’re unfamiliar with some concepts here. I have many repos listed, some are enabled, very few, the basic 4 (Very safe) and Packman (also safe if used correctly, i.e. if used as the sole source for those files it offers.). All the other repos I list are unchecked for both “enabled” and “refresh”. I only check those options for one of my lessor repos when I want to make a change to that specific item I installed from that repo, afterwards I uncheck/disable that repo. When I do a zypper patch or zypper up or update with Yast or whatever I am assured that any of the very few items I’ve deliberately installed from other than the basic 4 + Packman will not be touched. That’s simply default behavior.

I completely understand a certain amount of paranoia about strange repos put together by unknown individuals, but those fears are misplaced if also directed to any of the basic 4+ and some other well known ones that are maintained by very experienced individuals, and/or groups of individuals. They know what they’re doing.

Give them a chance. Don’t fall victim to “contempt prior to investigation”. To do so will create a lot of headaches for you in the long run, and it’ll almost certainly prevent you from having as much fun with openSUSE as I’ve been having since 9.1

1. … I could not install VLC player … it was trying to add some new Repo (which I hate) - and doing so - it said - there is still some problem with my OpenSuse Repo, so it fails to install…

I STRONGLY suggest that you follow the directions offered by several very experienced people in posts throughout this forum. Hint: One excellent way to proceed would be to Go to the Multimedia subforum and follow the sticky entitled Multimedia in One Click. When you’ve followed the directions there go to Yast>Software Management>Click the View tab and select Repositories>click on the link “switch system packages” (right above the file list) and then click the Apply button.

BTW, is the “my OpenSuse Repo” you refer to the install media you used? If so you can remove that repo once the install is finished, so you won’t get that error message any more

6.1 - sure, my preffered method to install VLC - would be from a simple tar, not through Yast, but I could not find such option…

There are numerous posts throughout these fora that discourage using VLC from sources other than Packman. Those posts list a great many reason why not to use the VLC repo in particular, the most important one being that the Packman package has been tweaked for use with openSUSE, and the others have not.