How to sync Samsung i5800 (Galaxy Apollo)

Suse 11.3 with KDE 4.4.4

I have a Samsung Galaxy Apollo android phone but Suse won’t recognize the phone to download apps. When I have a SD card in the phone it automounts it as “USB imaging interface” and the only option is “download photos with Digikam” and I’m unable to view it the file manager.
My questions may seem very obvious, but how can I get the phone to be recognized?
Please be gentle, because although I’m using Suse, I still don’t know about hardware etc.
Thanks in advance.

My Galaxy Tab askes me always, if I want to mount my Tab. did you activate the mount option or is there one of the other options active on your Apollo?

I can unmount the SD card but then suse won’t recognize the device at all, ie the device notifier pops up, but doesn’t show anything. When I mount the sd card on the phone again, I get the usual “USB imaging device” message.
This is also my first android device so I think I’m a bit out of my depth.

do you get the option to open F-Spot?
if yes, then your device is fully recognized. You only need choose a different option in the drop down menu.
Or is your device recognized as webcam? In this case is there some remote webcam software active on your Apollo?

No and no. Only ever (if at all) “USB imaging interface”. I can then open it with Digikam and it will show some of the files (audio and photo) on the sd card.
btw, what is F-Spot?

ok youre running KDE.
I get the digikam option as well.
if you are connected, can you open a terminal and do a mount commant to see, if your Apollo eventually is not propperly connected because of problems with the FAT filesystem?

I tyed “mount” into the Konsole and this is the readout (is this what you meant?)

/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=1777)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/sda3 on /home type ext4 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/sdb1 on /windows/C type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=true)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/gila/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=gila)

I’m thinking, do I possibly have to add my user to some group?

I wonder if a permutation of this blog entry might help ? … adding a new PTP camera to udev - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Suse recognizes the phone as a camera only. I can download and upload photos via digikam, but nothing else. this is the output from dmesg (if it helps)

[28202.194046] usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 44
[28202.308991] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6877
[28202.308994] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[28202.308997] usb 1-6: Product: SAMSUNG_Android
[28202.308998] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
[28202.309000] usb 1-6: SerialNumber: 6442c633dd87
[28202.309519] cdc_acm 1-6:4.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[28202.309592] cdc_acm 1-6:4.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

The problem is within the settings of your phone not with opensuse.

Did you eventually activate USB-tethering?

on your device homescreen
click menu button
“settings”
“wireless and network”
last entry should be “USB settings”
I am gessing you are set to “Media Player”. switch to “mass storage” or “Ask on connection”
that should solve your problem

Thanks for the tip. I found “USB settings” under “settings” and “about phone” and that purely by accident, because I decided to check the android version.
Unfortunately though none of the settings make any difference. When I choose “samsung kies” or “media player” I get the “usb imaging device” notice and for “mass storage”, “pc internet” and “ask on connection” - nada.
I swapped sd cards in the phone, in case the original one was a dodgy one, used different usb slots, but still it doesn’t make any difference at all. Fortunately Windo$e is in stalled on the laptop so I can do all my stuff there, but it still annoys me that it’s not working as it should. Not sure if it still is a phone or a suse problem (it works ok on the laptop, so I presume it’s the latter).