How to sync Google/Android contacts and calendar with KDE? (and get rid of Google)

I am willing to stop using Google’s services (currently using GSuite) and I am hoping to find a way to import my contacts and calendar data into my own computer running openSUSE.

Is that possible (how)?

Also is there a way to have a long term solution for synchronizing between openSUSE and Android? (without using a Google account) Or am I stuck forever with having to use a Google account in order to use my phone?

You do not say which desktop environment you use or which phone software is important to you.

I have a Lenovo/Motorola phone, I do not have any sort of Google account and my phone does not connect to any Google services. I run Lineage OS, but suggest that you investigate Magisk by TopJonWu, download from Github. Magisk does not trample through your Android system partition, allows banking apps etc. to run, but enables you to disable/remove all of the “obligatory” Google stuff that you do not need.
https://www.thecustomdroid.com/install-magisk-root-android-devices/

My phone uses Firefox, Chromium SE, DuckDuckGo for browsing and search, OpenStreetMap, FreeOTP and a lot of other stuff from the F-Droid opensource Android repository.

F-Droid contains KDE-connect for Android, which enables file transfer and contact synchronisation with a KDE desktop on the same local network. I have only used it with contacts (Kontact). You can add F-Droid to stock Android after allowing unknown sources in Settings > Security.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious from the topic. I use KDE Plasma.
As for phone software - I don’t really know what is important to me in the sense: I use a fairly old phone (Galaxy S3 mini) which is not supported by Replicant which makes it impossible to “free” it at a deeper level. So for the moment I feel stuck with Android 4.1.2 which the phone is running.

Lineage OS also doesn’t support my phone. I haven’t heard of Magisk but I skimmed through the article. It says:

“At the moment, the mod has the ability to root any Android device running Android Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat, and Oreo.”

which means that I won’t be able to use it either.

My phone uses Firefox, Chromium SE, DuckDuckGo for browsing and search, OpenStreetMap, FreeOTP and a lot of other stuff from the F-Droid opensource Android repository.

What is Chromium SE?
FWIW: DDG is hosted on Amazon servers, so if you are concerned about searching privacy you may want to check startpage.com perhaps.

F-Droid contains KDE-connect for Android, which enables file transfer and contact synchronisation with a KDE desktop on the same local network. I have only used it with contacts (Kontact). You can add F-Droid to stock Android after allowing unknown sources in Settings > Security.

Thanks for the info. I have never used F-Droid but I found the package on their site. From what I see it seems this application has features which seem to do more than I would want to:

“Shared clipboard: copy and paste between your phone and your computer.”

“Multimedia remote control: Use your phone as a remote for Linux media players.”

Why would I allow my phone to have access to my computer clipboard or give it control to play media on the computer? All I need is to sync contact and calendar. I want the computer to be in control, not the phone. No such program for openSUSE?

My mistake, sorry.

What is Chromium SE?

My typo – Chromium SWE, a build optmised for snapdragon processors. I downloaded it from Github via an updater on F-Droid.

(KDE Conect) has features which seem to do more than I would want to:

Why would I allow my phone to have access to my computer clipboard or give it control to play media on the computer? All I need is to sync contact and calendar. I want the computer to be in control, not the phone. No such program for openSUSE?

It is not essential (and may not be possible) to use all those features. I only use it to transfer data through a USB cable to my laptop. I launch and control the connection from the KDE Connect plasmoid on the laptop.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Perhaps I won’t be able to use it as S3 mini has a different CPU.

It is not essential (and may not be possible) to use all those features. I only use it to transfer data through a USB cable to my laptop. I launch and control the connection from the KDE Connect plasmoid on the laptop.

That’s interesting too because KDE Connect page says “WiFi connection: no usb wire or bluetooth needed.” Perhaps it still supports USB, just does not require it.

I guess I will have to learn how to use F-Droid.
Thanks for the info.

I have just scrolling throughout from web and found the great guide about sync -

https://www.ytechb.com/transfer-contacts-iphone-android/

This will also help you if you want to transfer contacts from iphone to the android

I followed this guide to sync Android/Google contacts to calendar from here.