How to Setup monitor/TV

Hi guys.

i have monitor connected, but when i like to watch movie i connect my TV using HDMI cable.

when i was using windows i could setup all this and it would stay theat way but not in linux.

Issue/Request.

Request: i want to see on my TV an empty Desktop. I’m able to configure it all in ATI Catalyst. (BUT)

Issue : after restart or after i disconnect HDMI cable confugurations wont save. well i would be able to live with it, but to get an empty desktop on my TV i have to shoose multi-desktop, but to activate it i have to restart my PC again.

its really boring to do so much restart and configs before i am able to watch movie.

well didint find the exact solution for it, but just reloging is enough, but still ATI catalyst wont save the setings.

HI, I don’t know for ATI but for NVIDIA I launch the application in root so it will save the settings.

I’m doing exact the same thing with ATI(i mean under root) but still after i reconnect HDMI i have to configure settings all over again.

I’m doing exact the same thing with ATI(i mean under root) but still after i reconnect HDMI i have to configure settings all over again.

Are you using ‘aticonfig’ as root? (It can be used to create or adjust the legacy /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if required)

Manpage for aticonfig - man.cx manual pages

X.Org/Dual Monitors/ATI - Gentoo Linux Wiki

Yes i am, but the problem is i dont have TV connected all the time. so i guess when i disconnect HDMI cable it forgets it all.
But t be honest im doing it all via ATI catalyst, but im gona give a try using your links. thanks

This thread may also be helpful to you. (It uses the amdcccle utility approach).

its not exactly for me, you know why ? guy from that thread is installing monitor, imagine i was doing the same, i can set it up, but im not seting up monitor, if i was doing the same thing it would mean my monitor is connected constantly, but my TV is not connected constantly. so thats my problem.

If you use the proprietary ATI utilities to create/adjust xorg.conf for dual screen operation, then when the tv is not connected, it will simply be ignored. (The key to this is using /etc/X11.xorg.conf to make it survive reboots). That is why I linked to that thread, but I’m sure you can search for similar threads or guides yourself. (Same approach should work for you).

yes my bad, im just not that good editig gonfig file,i was looking for gui solution :slight_smile: but im working on xorg.conf,