How to remove "nvidia" in hwinfo?

Hello everyone,

I installed proprietary nvidia driver but it didn’t help my computer perform better–actually, the driver made things worse. So I uninstalled it and recovered nouveau driver. But now I can still find nvidia in “Yast” ->“Hardware information”.

Driver Info #2:
    Driver Status: nvidia is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nvidia"

How can I remove that?

Moreover, my plymouth screen during startup becomes really ugly–the resolution becomes 1280x1024 and the screen distorts. How can I let my plymouth screen back to 1920x1080?

Thanks in advance!

Remove the blacklisting of nouveau in /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf, and run mkinitrd

That would imply you installed the wrong driver or you did something wrong.

So I uninstalled it and recovered nouveau driver. But now I can still find nvidia in “Yast” ->“Hardware information”.

Driver Info #2:

How can I remove that?

Well, how did you install the driver in the first place, and what did you do to remove it?

Maybe you forgot to remove the kernel-module? (package nvidia-gfxGxx-kmp-* if you installed the rpms)

Please post the output of:

/sbin/lspci -k

Moreover, my plymouth screen during startup becomes really ugly–the resolution becomes 1280x1024 and the screen distorts. How can I let my plymouth screen back to 1920x1080?

Maybe you still have the nouveau driver blacklisted, or added “nomodeset” to the boot options?
You can change the boot options and the bootloader’s and plymouth’s resolution in YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options. (“Vga mode” applies if you boot with “nomodeset”, “Console Resolution” otherwise)

And maybe also post /var/log/Xorg.0.log for an overview of your system’s state regarding the gfx drivers.

I’ve done that already, but that won’t work. Now I still have a monstrous startup plymouth screen.

Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: nvidiafb is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nvidiafb"
  Driver Info #1:
    Driver Status: nouveau is active 
//           nouveau is WORKING now
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nouveau"
  Driver Info #2:
//           nvidia is NOT WORKING, but still MODPROBED after nvidia proprietary driver was removed

On 2013-10-28 14:36, ABGDEZHI wrote:
>
> Knurpht;2592965 Wrote:
>> Remove the blacklisting of nouveau in /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf,
>> and run mkinitrd
>
> I’ve done that already, but that won’t work. Now I still have a
> monstrous startup plymouth screen.

You might try using “vga=…” or “display=…” or “video=…” in the
kernel boot line (grub). I use the first one on an ancient laptop
(vga=791). I had no success with the other two.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

I installed the driver using *.run package from Drivers | GeForce. The installation is successful, no error message shown. But it turned out that 3D acceleration didn’t become much better, and the GPU became extremely low-efficient. (The fan kept working fully-loaded and the Battery would last less than one and a half hour.)

I uninstalled the driver by running ./NVIDIA-…run -uninstall . Then I resmoved blacklist nouveau and ran mkinitrd.

The following is the output of sudo /sbin/lspci -k:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Dell Device 050e
        Kernel driver in use: i915

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 540M] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Dell Device 050e                                                                                                                                                           
        Kernel driver in use: nouveau                                                                                                                                                         

You have an Optimus based laptop.

I know that man, that’s why nvidia proprietary performs so poor. I’ve uninstalled it and restore previous configurations, but the plymouth screen won’t restore.

Search the forums for “bumblebee”. That’s what you need.
As for removing the nvidia driver:

modprobe -r nvidia && mkinitrd