How to remove large file on external disk

1. An external hard disk with VFAT32 file system has a continuous 23GB file (old HD disk image). It is too large to ‘remove to wastebasket’ and unlike MS Windows remove to wastebasket does not sense file size and wipe file index .

How to remove a large file in SUSE 11.2?

Any help.

Thanks in advance.

delete from the command line the command is rm

Thank you.

It is safer for me as a Linux user (but not a confident command line operator) to take HD to a MS Windows machine and delete file. Which I will now do.

Many thanks.

not a confident command line operator

if you are afraid of deleting things by mistake you can also use the option -i:
rm -i
-i stays for interactive, and you will be prompted a confirmation to delete a certain file. It will tell you something like “delete file [FILENAME]?” and you have to type y or* n*. In that way it is unlikely that you delete something without actually wanting that.

He should be back. I had a 5 Gb file on FAT32 years ago, for months, until I discovered I could remove it from linux. I could not from XP, it reappeared after a reboot…

So… we’ll see again upon next reboot lol!

Many thanks

rm -i, seems a workable choice.

You can also add an alias in your .bashrc (in each user’s home): add the following line:
alias rm=‘rm -i’
In this way whenever you type rm, the command will be actually rm -i, which means that you will *always *be asked confirmation before deleting any file, either when you type rm -i or when you just type rm. You can do the same with other commands, such as mv.
I change my .bashrc in this way myself for a few commands for all my computers, works just fine.

I can understand your hesitation for using the command line. I was very unsure of myself when I was first learning, and working on production equipment. The CLI is your friend and I often use it over the GUI desktop. I find the Dolphin file manager to not be reliable when doing large file copies, and so I use the CLI.

Being cautious is a good thing, but learn to trust yourself and the CLI will become second nature.

On 2010-01-27, eionmac <eionmac@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> 1. An external hard disk with VFAT32 file system has a continuous 23GB
> file (old HD disk image). It is too large to ‘remove to wastebasket’ and
> unlike MS Windows remove to wastebasket does not sense file size and
> wipe file index .
>
> How to remove a large file in SUSE 11.2?

How about plain old SHIFT-Del ?

I still use 11.1 with KDE 3.x, mostly.
Is that option no longer active ?

Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked
something.