How to remove all the noto font packages?

I just ran a zypper dup and it wants to update 336 packages.
About 240 of those packages are “noto-*” (font) packages).

I ran this:

zypper rm noto-*

and the result was “246 packages to remove.”
The problem is zypper wants to remove some plasma5* packages and sddm* packages.

It’s ridiculous that I have to install 240+ font packages just to satisfy this update.
(99% are of a language I would never use)

But apparently, I can’t remove them because of the dependencies.
(this has happened before with a number of zypper updates)

Any suggestions how to get rid of these fonts??

Only these fonts are installed (all others can be removed without removing plasma…):

ich@laptop:~> LANG=C zypper se -i noto
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                              | Summary                                               | Type
---+-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------+------
i  | google-noto-coloremoji-fonts      | Noto Color Emoji font                                 | Paket
i+ | google-noto-sans-cjk-fonts        | Noto Sans CJK Font - Regular and Bold                 | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-jp-bold-fonts    | Noto Sans Japanese Font - Bold                        | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-jp-fonts         | Noto Sans Japanese Font - Regular and Bold            | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-jp-regular-fonts | Noto Sans Japanese Font - Regular                     | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-kr-bold-fonts    | Noto Sans Korean Font - Bold                          | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-kr-fonts         | Noto Sans Korean Font - Regular and Bold              | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-kr-regular-fonts | Noto Sans Korean Font - Regular                       | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-sc-bold-fonts    | Noto Sans Simplified Chinese Font - Bold              | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-sc-fonts         | Noto Sans Simplified Chinese Font - Regular and Bold  | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-sc-regular-fonts | Noto Sans Simplified Chinese Font - Regular           | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-tc-bold-fonts    | Noto Sans Traditional Chinese Font - Bold             | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-tc-fonts         | Noto Sans Traditional Chinese Font - Regular and Bold | Paket
i  | google-noto-sans-tc-regular-fonts | Noto Sans Traditional Chinese Font - Regular          | Paket
i  | noto-sans-fonts                   | Noto Sans Font                                        | Paket
ich@laptop:~> 

You should familiarize yourself with zypper --no-recommends

1 Like

Thanks!

All those language fonts in your list - I would never use or understand - why they are mandatory is beyond me.

Okay, I tried these … no difference, unfortunately

# zypper --no-recommends dup
The flag --no-recommends is not known.

# zypper  dup  --no-recommends
Loading repository data...
... 336 packages to upgrade, 1 new, 1 to remove.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_manual_(plain)

Simply uninstall the noto-sans packages and clean the deps:

zypper rm --clean-deps noto-fonts

The only package which is needed by plasma is noto-sans-fonts. All other packages can be uninstalled. I only wanted to show you with the terminal output, that there is no need for 240+ noto packages on a plasma system…

1 Like

Wow - thanks !!

I’m not sure why “noto-fonts” worked, but it did.
When I look at the list , I did not see any entry like that.

On my laptop, it took over eight minutes to remove all the fonts.
And after, I did a zyyper dup and only 3 minutes :slight_smile:

I will read more in the link you provided !!
Thank you for spending your time on this today!!