How to redirect sound to network stream

I’d like to take any audio that would normally come out of my laptop’s speakers or headphones and have it come out of my TV’s speakers without using any wires or hardware that I don’t already have. My TV is connected to my LAN via a Roku box, which has an SDK that I can use to write my own channel to handle the audio stream coming over the network and output it to the TV.

What I don’t know how to do is capture the audio destined for my sound card. Is there an easier way than writing my own driver that pretends to be a sound card driver but really takes the sound data and streams it over the network?

I’m not looking for anyone to do the work for me, just some help pointing me in the right direction.

I am not sure and not an expert, but I think you can only do this with Pulse Audio sound server enabled on your system.

zypper in  pulseaudio

As to how to do it, I don’t know though.

That seems to be what I’m looking for. PulseAudio is installed and used by default under GNOME/openSUSE 11.3, so I don’t need to install anything. I just have to figure out how to use it now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.