How to perform an update from M3 to M4 ?

Hi all,
I have a newbie question: what should I do for updating from M3 to M4 ?

ocholin

So long as you have the factory repos:
Index of /factory/repo/oss
Index of /factory/repo/non-oss

And you have the system switched to those or have done ‘dup’ on them. You will up to M4

If you have M4 DVD (burned on a physical medium) just boot from it and select “update” instead of “new installation” and then choose the partition to upgrade.

If you want to use network source make sure that you have Index of /factory/repo/oss and Index of /factory/repo/non-oss repositories added and enabled. (use eg. ‘zypper lr -u’ to check it, use ‘zypper ar -f <url> <short_repo_name>’ command to add a repository).

Then use ‘zypper dup’ command to do the upgrade. It will take some time…

Simply do a zypper up

Well, indeed my system repos are configured as follow (and I have never edited them after the network installation of milestone 3):

openSUSE-11.4-11.4-1.27 : Index of /factory-snapshot/repo/oss
openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss : Index of /factory-snapshot/repo/non-oss
Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-1.27: Index of /update/11.4

Moreover by when the M4 is out the update applet reports the following error: “DBus error : Unable to get transaction id from packagekit”

and if I start the package manager I get the following message: “No update repository configured yet” (indeed as you can see from the above repo list it is configured)
anyway, in case I choose to set up an update repo through the automatic procedure a registration window open and eventually a browser starts with a Novel page for registering but at the end of all this odd procedure no new update repo is configured.

So I’m a bit puzzled on which procedure follows.

this is curious, in the previous post I had written “h t t p : / / download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/” but it has been transformed automagically in the link “Index of /factory-snapshot/repo/oss”
and the same for the other repo urls, so in the end have I the correct repos ?

How do I know if I upgrade to M4? I performed “zypper up” a few days ago and its yelds a huge update!

Maybe like this:

cat /etc/SuSE-release | head -n 1

My 11.4 M3 netbook said (haven’t upgraded to M4 yet):

openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 3 of 6 (i586)

So yours should say Milestone 4 of 6

Any virtual terminal will tell you ie alt ctrl f1-f6

And yes it is a huge update

ah7013

Thanks: openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 4 of 6 (x86_64):open_mouth:

dale14846:

Thanks I already forgotten about virtual terminals!! :stuck_out_tongue:

No problem :slight_smile: