How to pair a bluetooth headset, SuSE 11.2

Attempting to pair a Motorola Bluetooth H12 headset with an ASUS netbook computer, SUSE 11.2. Here is what I get.
Executing kbluetooth (right mouse key) pulls up kbluetooth window.
Left Click on Device manager → new → setup Bluetooth device, next → search reveals headset H12, stop search, highlight H12 → next → checking … Summary
Sorry your bluetooth device does not support input service.

Since a headset is an input output service, how do I get this to pair?

Bumping it up to the top.

Other info:
version: program:
4.56-1.1.1 bluez
4.56-1.1.1 bluez-alsa
1.2-126.2 bluez-firmware
0,3-9.1 kdebluetooth4
4.56-1.1.1 libbluetooth3

BTW when is a mature version of kdebluetooth4 going to be released?

Is there anything in this guide that helps: How-to use a bluetooth headset with SuSE 11.1 - openSUSE

… it was written for openSUSE-11.1, but it may also be applicable to 11.2.

bluez-utils ??

Note I do not have a bluetooth headset, and I have no experience with such a headset, so I am replying only based on what I have spotted on the web.

I’m looking for help with this too. I’m not finding anything to help me connect bluetooth devices to my openSUSE 11.2 KDE laptop. The howtos are old/incorrect.

~> bluez
If 'bluez' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
    cnf bluez
:~> bluez-utils
If 'bluez-utils' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
    cnf bluez-utils

Please pardon my ignorance on this, as I do not have a blue tooth device on the PC I am using, and I have never used this package.

When I check the contents of bluez I note the following executeables (and no bluez executable that you tried to run):

/usr/bin/ciptool
/usr/bin/dfutool              
/usr/bin/hcitool             
/usr/bin/l2ping               
/usr/bin/rfcomm               
/usr/bin/sdptool             
/usr/sbin/bccmd               
/usr/sbin/bluetoothd          
/usr/sbin/hciattach
/usr/sbin/hciconfig
/usr/sbin/hid2hci

and
kdebluetooth4 gives me

/usr/bin/kbluetooth4                                              
/usr/bin/kbluetooth4-devicemanager                                
/usr/bin/kbluetooth4-inputwizard

No where do I see an executeable called “bluez”.

The very first thing I do (and I assume everyone else does the same) is after installing an application, I check to see what packages come with it, so I know what the executables are. So I can not find this “bluez” that you are using.

I noted that link was for openSUSE-11.1. One needs to apply some common sense when applying it to 11.2.

Note you can find out what files come with a package installed on one’s system by typing:

rpm -ql package_name

where package_name is the name of the installed package
or of an rpm not yet installed by typing:

rpm -qp package.rpm -l

Please, my apologies if the above is too basic for you. Sometimes I have been doing this too long, and I find it difficult to estimate a user’s knowledge level.

I should add to the above that kbluetooth4 also adds the file:

/usr/share/applications/kde4/kdebluetooth4.desktop

which suggests that can be dragged to the KDE4 desktop and run, … and there may also be an entry in KDE4’s start menu.

I assume Gnome users would need to install bluez-gnome, where some of the files that gnome with bluez-gnome are:

/etc/xdg/autostart/bluetooth-applet.desktop
/usr/bin/bluetooth-analyzer
/usr/bin/bluetooth-applet
/usr/bin/bluetooth-browse
/usr/bin/bluetooth-properties
/usr/bin/bluetooth-sendto
/usr/bin/bluetooth-wizard

Again, I have no experience with this bluez package.

The above are just basic checks that I would do with any new package where there is no current guide.

When I look at that guide How-to use a bluetooth headset with SuSE 11.1 - openSUSE it does not state to run bluez, but rather it states to

plug in your Bluetooth dongle or enable the builtin Bluetooth adapter. Start the gnome applet (kde still does not work) bluetooth-applet. Put your device into pairing mode, start hciconfig scan

and their example has:

run hcitool scan

I’m thinking we are reading different guides than the one I linked? Because I can not find the “out of date” reference to run “bluez” that I believe you are referring to.

Thanks for the help. Bluetooth functionality in KDE has been problematic for the past several years. Apparently KDEBluetooth4 is not yet fully functional. Hopefully there were be a downstream solution for headsets.

OK, just to be clear – you are saying that I should exactly follow the linked guide for setting up bluetooth on openSUSE 11.2 KDE?

I understand from the other replies that KDE bluetooth support is not complete and that I need to install gnome packages. The linked guide does that. So if I can get someone to confirm this is the right approach for 11.2 KDE, I’ll give it a go.

No. Just to be clear I am saying I have no blue tooth experience, … but despite that lack of experience I can find no reference where it says to run the command “bluez” nor can I find any rpm that has that as an executable file. The only linked how to’s (where I offered one with a caveat that it was for 11.1 and one could try to see if worked for 11.2) was in the context of me just trying to offer some sort of suggestion, as opposed to providing nothing.

But given the way this thread is gone, I think next time it best I don’t participate at all as it appears all that my suggestions have done is cause wrong commands to be sent and my having caused more frustration. IMHO better users are frustrated without my efforts unfortunately making it worse.

If you succeed, please let us know. I have no experience with this, and I am keen to learn

I’m keen to learn too. But rather than just blindly experimenting on the basis of my total lack of experience, I would prefer to find a how-to guide that is up to date (11.2) – or similar help from someone who knows more about bluetooth than I do. Surely, some people have bluetooth working with 11.2 KDE…

I want to transfer data to and from my Android phone.

Any news there?

I would love to use my Bluetooth headset with KDE4. I once managed this way back with Suse9.3. It was a pain to install, but it worked in the end, until the next online update broke everything again and prohibited the repetition of the install procedure. :frowning:

I also updated to KDE4.4 today, and thereby lost the ability to exchange text files with my PDA via Bluetooth, which had worked with 11.2 before. :frowning:

try using blueman… it works for me using BT with my phone EXCEPT dial up networking for connecting to internet with it using 3G… im opening another thread about it…

Hm, blueman is not readily available for 64bit. :frowning:

Anyway, switching to from kbluetooth4 to kbluetooth enabled sending and receiving files again.