How to make dual boot from window

Once a while , I was able to dual boot opensuse and win 7. After that , in order to install service pack 1 for win 7, I have to make it become active boot.
Then I can’t dual boot anymore.
How can make dual boot now?
Thanks

Here more detail: in diskmgmt.msc ,I have mark the window partition active.(right click on C drive then there is the option)

Either you use Easy BCD to add a linux entry into windows boot loader or restore the grub.

Thank you :), it is working now

Did you try editing the boot order in the opensuse boot loader for going straight back to windows? I’ve got my dual boot going to windows as a default.

Yast/System/BootLloader.

Just wondering if it is really necessary to get rid of the opensuse boot screen for SP1 to load??

You can fix this by booting from a LiveCD, chrooting to the installed openSUSE, then reinstall the bootloader through Yast, Let me know if you need details.

Do you have the Adobe suite installed on Windows? Wasn’t there an issue where it would mess with the booting in a dual-boot scenario?
I thought I remember reading that Adobe, or the suite, would overwrite the Master Boot Record creating a scenario such as this - perpetually.

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 00:56:03 +0000, CrimianVaid wrote:

> Do you have the Adobe suite installed on Windows? Wasn’t there an issue
> where it would mess with the booting in a dual-boot scenario?
> I thought I remember reading that Adobe, or the suite, would overwrite
> the Master Boot Record creating a scenario such as this - perpetually.

Adobe isn’t an OS, so why would it need to mess with the MBR? I’ve never
heard of any of their products doing that, and I’ve used a number of them
in the past…

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Not the MBR, but the sectors following the MBR, where the next stage of Grub or other bootmanagers are installed. Some Windows software write stuff on the first track. I’m not sure Adobe does, but Macromedia - the former owner of Flash - used to. One should simply not use their products.

@Hipster_Doofus : yes you have to make the drive that run win7 active in order to run the service pack 1 update, else it will keep show some error.

@hendersj: when I read hasan65 post , I google the option to recover grub, then they all show that I need a live CD, but I lost it.
So I tried the EasyBCD soft- bootloader management tool, it works great and simple.
Problem solved.

Thanks all.

Thanks just1more. Cleared that up. So as long as you (that is me) pre plan ready to fix the grub all is OK.

Although for me I have to figure out how to return the boot to windows but that’s for another time. :smiley: