How to install Radeon 5400 support on Dell Inspiron 1764?

Hello,

at

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/481240-boot-always-fails-likely-radeon-graphic-card-problem.html#post2509330

I have posted the boot-problem I currently have. Since I think it is the defect graphics-card driver,
I thought I post here a question how to (finally) install proper Radeon 5400 support (I guess if I
manage that, then the boot-failure should go away).

Until now I survived with the driver

xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd - Driver for AMD GPG (ATI) r5xx/r6xx Chipsets

which partially worked, but there were permanent crashes, and also glxgears runs very slowly.

I never managed to install the driver

amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run

Installation always yields

> cat /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
Unloading radeon module…
ERROR: Module radeon is in use
Unloading drm module…
ERROR: Module drm is in use by radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Error] Kernel Module : Kernel module build environment not found - please consult readme.
[Reboot] Kernel Module : mkinitrd

I’m not aware of the “README”.

Why does the re-installed xorg-driver not work anymore? Any clue what to do?
Or could I get the ati-driver finally to work?

Best

Oliver

I installed package

kernel-devel

But then I run into a compilation-error:

> cat /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘kasInitExecutionLevels’:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:4157:5: error: ‘cpu_possible_map’ undeclared (first use in this function)

This is somewhat discussed at

fglrx compile errors with linux kernel 3.4.0 | AMD Developer Forums

And also at

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/tumbleweed/475575-warning-kernel-3-4-amd-catalyst-12-4-not-compatible.html

However I do not see any clear conclusions what to do?

Oliver

• See the information I posted in the other thread.
  • Don’t cross post

There are two independent questions involved:

• In the other thread the question is how to get the system back to boot.
    For that the easiest solution is just to get back to the old state, without installing proper
    Radeon 5400 support.
  • While here now I just want that proper Radeon 5400 support, without care for the booting problem.

It seems to more that different forums talk to different developers: on the boot-forum there should
be people talking about boot-problems (and I have one), while here there should be people talking
about Laptop-proplems — not clear whether this is the best label for the problem I have, but
nevertheless there are two problems involved. And thus it seems reasonable to post on two
different forums.

Perhaps one should have more “cross posting”? Reading through so many threads: they very often
talk about many things, and they typically never reach any conclusions (some people are extremely vague, some make a sport out of giving only tiny hints, in order not to spoil the educational effect).
If one would care more about precision and the right context, then perhaps the threads would be more
productive? Just a thought.

There is also the problem that one doesn’t get much answers on Suse forums (that seems the strongest argument to switch to Ubuntu), while the current situation is rather bad
for me: I need to get my laptop working very soon. So I have naturally an interest to reach as many
people as possible.

Oliver

it could be that there are two separate problems, but I suspect at the moment that they are linked. To avoid going back and forth, lets just use the other thread of now if you’re okay with that.

It seems to more that different forums talk to different developers: on the boot-forum there should
be people talking about boot-problems (and I have one), while here there should be people talking
about Laptop-proplems — not clear whether this is the best label for the problem I have, but
nevertheless there are two problems involved. And thus it seems reasonable to post on two
different forums.

Perhaps one should have more “cross posting”? Reading through so many threads: they very often
talk about many things, and they typically never reach any conclusions (some people are extremely vague, some make a sport out of giving only tiny hints, in order not to spoil the educational effect).
If one would care more about precision and the right context, then perhaps the threads would be more
productive? Just a thought.

There is also the problem that one doesn’t get much answers on Suse forums (that seems the strongest argument to switch to Ubuntu), while the current situation is rather bad
for me: I need to get my laptop working very soon. So I have naturally an interest to reach as many
people as possible.

Oliver
I don’t disagree with much of that sentiment. But I think that the problems you are experiencing are intricately linked.

Forum participation seems down quite a bit to me. Though perhaps more users have migrated to the different language forums? I don’t know. Documentation in SUSE has never really been its strong point – for resolving problems, I tend to end up finding most information from (no particular order) arch, gentoo, & ubuntu forums or wikis.

I will also say, addressing different user problems on a point by point basis, in a thorough manner, is time consuming … and tiresome, when you’ve addressed the same topics before multiple times.